You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.16 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Think Spanish suck? Try this cool tip.
Bottom
Topic Subject:Think Spanish suck? Try this cool tip.
Ceres629
Skirmisher
posted 10-23-05 07:41 AM EDT (US)         
Keep in mind I still have the demo so I can't try it on ESO but I know from personal experience and from hearing the comments of others playing spanish, they suffer from a huge weakness of having so many early shipments, but no good cards to spend them on until they reach high level...so i thought about it and I figured out a way to solve this problem.

It involves leveling your spanish HC to level 10 without choosing any cards until you hit level 10. (actually if you try it yourself you will see that you can probably choose about 1 or 2 level 1 cards since they are prequisites for some level 10 cards.

Sure you will be weak from levels 1-9 but this is only for a few games and you can consider it practice because once you hit level 10 you will be in a very strong position because now you can spend all your saved up cards on more powerful shipments. Suddenly at level 10 you know have access to a wide variety of uber cards that you would of had to wait until you were level 18 to have. Once you run out of great cards to add, don't waste them on crap ones, just save them again until you reach level 25 and do the same.

Sure all civs can do this. But this specifically benefits spanish the most because their main advantage is in their quick early shipments.

*Note*
Cards I advise you to focus on: (in this order)
Settler cards.
Gather rate cards
Lancer upgrade (increases bonus against cav)

Stay away from resource cards, they are attractive at first glance but they only provide short term benefits, and usually gather rate cards can give you the same benefit and more if you get them early enough.

Now go forth and spread destruction spanish players, I will join ya in 12 days!

ps sorry if someone has already thought of this strategy but i haven't seen it at aoe3h yet so...

Also once I get the full version and can play online for a while, I will write a cool spanish guide filled with all little cool things that the spanish can excel at (but not other civs :P)

[This message has been edited by Ceres629 (edited 10-23-2005 @ 08:31 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
RiderOfEternity
Skirmisher
posted 10-23-05 08:34 AM EDT (US)     1 / 16       
How do you expect players to win without villie shipments or a fort wagon

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
TheGoodEvil
Skirmisher
posted 10-23-05 08:39 AM EDT (US)     2 / 16       
furier is better than 2 vil shipment IMO, I don't exactly know if it is the better choice but for what I do it is. and forts aren't the end all be all but they have their good points.

TGE

TGE's RTS Blog, news, thoughts, and advice on RTS gaming

Able Company (my job)

"I've kicked more ass on accident than most people have on purpose"

Ceres629
Skirmisher
posted 10-23-05 08:46 AM EDT (US)     3 / 16       
I had it the other way around actually as in get gather rate upgrades (furrier) instead of 2 settlers, but after trying it out, focusing on settlers is better.

By level 10 if you save cards you can get all the settler shippment cards and it is best to use those all first.

Quote:

How do you expect players to win without villie shipments or a fort wagon

Since I want the level 10 village shipments it means i still choose the 3 villager card and spanish default level 1 city starts with the 2 villie card.

Also the spanish level 1 city starts with a fort too. I'm not talking about not using the cards you are given, i'm talking about no using them on crappy level 1 cards and wait till you get to level 10 and using them all on the better level10+ cards.

So from level 1-9 I still have access to all the villi cards and the fort that any other level 1-9 player has.

In fact truth be told you are only weaker than the opponent between levels 4 and 9, since in my case I choose cards until level 4, at which point I save them until I reach level 10.

[This message has been edited by Ceres629 (edited 10-23-2005 @ 08:48 AM).]

Doggiedoodle
Skirmisher
posted 10-23-05 09:18 AM EDT (US)     4 / 16       
Furrier gives an extra 15% on your huntables. So this means as soon as you exceed 15 villagers hunting the extra two will be worth less thn the furrier. I don't generally make that many villagers for food before I age up so I would think the villager card is much better.
Errand
Skirmisher
posted 10-23-05 09:33 AM EDT (US)     5 / 16       
Eh? I thought you play Russians, TGE. They don't get villie shipments, do they? And they get TEAM furrier, which kinda sucks.

Anyway, I think Ceres629's idea is a good one. The more you advance your HC, the stronger the Spanish become thanks to their fast&numerous shipments. Though IMO they're pretty strong even at the lower levels, especially due to their total age1 map domination.

If it's coming right at you, duck.
steace43
Skirmisher
posted 10-23-05 09:56 AM EDT (US)     6 / 16       

Quote:

Furrier gives an extra 15% on your huntables. So this means as soon as you exceed 15 villagers hunting the extra two will be worth less thn the furrier. I don't generally make that many villagers for food before I age up so I would think the villager card is much better.

What are you talking about? 15% extra hunting rate means all your villies get an 15% fatser hunting rate, not just 15. And the more vills you get, the more a gather rate cards is worth. If you would have 100 vills on hunting normaly (I know noone ever has that many, but it is easy to count with this number), you would only have to get 85, saving you 15 pop slots and 1500 food (build cost for the settlers) while still getting as much food.
Ceres629
Skirmisher
posted 10-23-05 10:42 AM EDT (US)     7 / 16       
No he actually calculated how many villagers you would need to have on hunting for furrier to actually benefit you more than just putting two extra villagers on hunting (ie getting the 2 settler card) I did the calculation myself and it works out that you need exactly (13.3 villagers) or 14 villagers on hunting before furrier benefits you more than 2 extra villagers.

Since settler cards are always the first cards I get, i never have more than 12 villagers on food until I hit fortress age, so for my particular style of play it isn't benefical.

If you ask me, skipping furrier completely and focusing on settlers then wood upgrades and lancer upgrades is better.

This strategy really benefits spain big time and will hopefully make them more competative (tho i think they rock already, just that people keep building Rodaleros (see signature!)

[This message has been edited by Ceres629 (edited 10-23-2005 @ 10:45 AM).]

Khaleb
Skirmisher
posted 10-23-05 11:06 AM EDT (US)     8 / 16       
Why is this (Settlers vs Furrier) an either/or question? Shipments accumulate so fast for Spanish that in the first two minutes you already get two (at least if you find an XP-treasure, which are quite common), if these are invested in a.) 2 settlers and b.) furrier you reach colonial with a great economy and usually at least two more shipment options, even if you go up really fast to do a rush ...
Ceres629
Skirmisher
posted 10-23-05 11:08 AM EDT (US)     9 / 16       
Because by level 10 you can get both the 2 settler shipment and the 3 settler shipment. Then by age 2 you are better of getting the 5 settler shippment then the 4 settler shipment.

Before then getting both is obviously best after level 10 there is no reason to get furrier.

[This message has been edited by Ceres629 (edited 10-23-2005 @ 11:10 AM).]

narcoscatolicos
Skirmisher
posted 10-23-05 11:39 AM EDT (US)     10 / 16       
hi i m a spanish player too (allthough since the unupdated xp u can t really lvl till lvl 10).
but don t u think that the 600wood supply in age two is rather..invaluable?

i use it for building barracks (with cheaper barracks card) and towers and pikemen AND crossbows. point is, i don t see how i can make ALL that stuff in age 2 without it

Ceres629
Skirmisher
posted 10-23-05 11:45 AM EDT (US)     11 / 16       
Before level 9 you will struggle for wood, but once you hit level 10 and use all the cards on settler and wood upgrade cards first, i find I have WAY more wood than before.

But I agree with you the 600wood is invaluable when I used to practise with low level spain HC's I was always forced to use the 600 wood card but if you put up without it until level you won't miss it after that, just keep pumping out settlers from shipments and then get the wood upgrade from hc and from market.

Although my style of play is a boom to age 3 and I don't build any miltary buildings until the second i hit age3. But I'm sure if you just arrange more villies on wood you won' t have a problem. I am able to continuously stream pikemen from a fort and a barracks simultaneously since wood just comes in at a enormous rate.

I personally think resource shippments are the worse shipments a spanish player can use his cards on. I don't even have a single one in my deck.

[This message has been edited by Ceres629 (edited 10-23-2005 @ 11:49 AM).]

Elpea
Hal
(id: lp_usa)
posted 10-23-05 11:52 AM EDT (US)     12 / 16       
I've been saving all my cards since level 15 til I get to level 25 (German though). Level 25 has way better cards, and since they all cost the same skillpoint to get, I rather get those.

narcoscatolicos
Skirmisher
posted 10-23-05 01:06 PM EDT (US)     13 / 16       
ok so saving s the message

online u will have to have a military at age t because most people attack in age 2. just bomming to age 3 will get u killed

Swiffle
Skirmisher
posted 10-23-05 01:18 PM EDT (US)     14 / 16       
So far my shipments typically go something like, first 3 vills, next 300 wood. Opening with hussar harassment in tier 2, then 700 wood, then 5 vills, then whatever resource cards i need after that. I'm not really a fan of passive upgrades. It's more important for vills to be protected from harassment, and not have to garrison or be attacked, rather than work 10% faster imo. I might change my mind later on that though.
Btw the Lancer Upgrade doesn't increase bonus vs cav. It changes the bonus from 3x vs inf to 4x vs inf.

Playing: Poker. Yay.
Retired: Age of Empires 3, Warcraft 3, Guild Wars, Dark Age of Camelot, Age of Empires 2.
Ceres629
Skirmisher
posted 10-23-05 01:33 PM EDT (US)     15 / 16       

Quote:

online u will have to have a military at age t because most people attack in age 2. just bomming to age 3 will get u killed

Not if you build towers. Especially since spanish get a free tower and 200 gold and you can always ship a tower card instead of a villager card if you suspect a rush, for a total of three towers. I normal get to age 3 at 8mins and you can get some free units just for upgrading at that time.

Also I normally hunt and mine gold away from my base for the first 5 mins so that I can collect resource near my TC incase of a rush.

Swiffle
Skirmisher
posted 10-23-05 01:37 PM EDT (US)     16 / 16       
Tier 3 Spanish politician is garbage. 10 pikes is worthless, 4 pikes 4 xbows is extremely poor, 4 hussars is mediocre. But back to the point. I don't think fast tier 3 is a good idea with spanish. You get little to show for it when you actually reach t3, and you have little defense in the meantime. TC fire + a tower only goes so far. I've heard of Portuguese having success with fast t3, but they get TC's for each age, and their politician sends 500 food in t2, 7 cassadors in t3 I think, and could ship dragoons or something. They don't have to spend much time gather resources in t2 at all.

Playing: Poker. Yay.
Retired: Age of Empires 3, Warcraft 3, Guild Wars, Dark Age of Camelot, Age of Empires 2.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames