You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.26 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Is the Factory Worth it?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Is the Factory Worth it?
Kronas
Skirmisher
posted 10-28-05 06:01 PM EDT (US)         
Anyone know the work rate on these guys? Are they worth wasting a card in your deck on?

Thanks.

AuthorReplies:
Ceres629
Skirmisher
posted 10-28-05 06:05 PM EDT (US)     1 / 26       
It depends on your civ really. Most games don't even go to the 4th age anyway. And as spanish (my fav civ) you don't want the game to go to the 4th age, so I don't even choose the factory card until I run out of other choices.
GoldenShadow
Skirmisher
posted 10-28-05 06:07 PM EDT (US)     2 / 26       
They are equal to at least 10 settlers, but the best thing is that they can make free heavy artillery.

They are pretty versatile too, so you can change them to gather which resource you need the most.

Demolition Ship Captain
Skirmisher
posted 10-28-05 06:07 PM EDT (US)     3 / 26       
If the games goes into the 4th age (that's a very big if.. higly dependent on your skill level, since NO expert games go into age 4), then the factory is about the best card you can get.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Preparation can only take you so far... After that you gotta take a few leaps of faith.
KaiserChickenPT
Skirmisher
posted 10-28-05 06:08 PM EDT (US)     4 / 26       
Indeed. They are excellent in long-lasting games, like those in which everyone runs out of wood.
GoldenShadow
Skirmisher
posted 10-28-05 06:24 PM EDT (US)     5 / 26       
1v1: don't bother. 3v3: get as many factories as you can.
Shrink
on the trender train
posted 10-28-05 06:35 PM EDT (US)     6 / 26       

Quote:

higly dependent on your skill level, since NO expert games go into age 4)

Actually, it depends on whether you're playing an opponent with a similar skill level to your own.

The_Assimilator
Skirmisher
posted 10-28-05 08:00 PM EDT (US)     7 / 26       
I always include a factory in my deck as a matter of course. I like my games to last, the one i just finished before coming on here was a brawl with Isabella, i finished just as i hit age 5. Anyway, i usually get the factory for the Imp cannons (spanish) and resources (british), i don't use the factory to make rockets when i'm playing british, I just don't like the look of the rocket for some reason, I don't know why, I'll use them if they're already on the map, but otherwise i'll stick with standard british artillery.
MaxReality
Skirmisher
posted 10-28-05 08:03 PM EDT (US)     8 / 26       
Factories are great, and get Robber Barons, for 2 Factories even greater!!!!

Most games finish Age 3!! Not Great "But, I want to use my factory". It won't get used much, which is a bummer.

Im getting a sweater for christmas , I'd much rather have a screamer or a moaner ho! ho! ho!

[This message has been edited by MaxReality (edited 10-28-2005 @ 08:04 PM).]

topace3k
Skirmisher
posted 10-28-05 08:20 PM EDT (US)     9 / 26       
Most 1v1's finish in age 2. With evenly matched opponents, they can go to age 3. Only one 1v1 I've ever played went to age 4, and the factory did come in very useful that game.

For team games, I'd say include it in every deck.

Clam_Knight
Skirmisher
posted 10-28-05 10:27 PM EDT (US)     10 / 26       
-I think when you play as Dutch, a factory can help...let's see...4 banks...plus 2 from cards...plus 2 more from Unique Church Tech...plus a factory or two...that's a possibility of about 10 gold producing buildings...though, I'm not sure why'd you want all that gold (it just seems like something fun to do).

"Fool, I have auto-dialing!" -Techno Bill
GoldenShadow
Skirmisher
posted 10-28-05 11:19 PM EDT (US)     11 / 26       
Gold = cannons
ShadowZX
Skirmisher
posted 10-28-05 11:43 PM EDT (US)     12 / 26       
Factories r uselful in late game so if ur a rusher and u usually suceed in rushing, dont bother about it but if ur a boomer or a turtler then u should keep a factory card unless u think that ur opponent is gonna rush u and also dont bother them for 1v1. The cannon they produce r extremely important and strong, they r free too and stronger than other cannons.
Fwiffo del desierto
Skirmisher
(id: Fwiffo)
posted 10-29-05 00:16 AM EDT (US)     13 / 26       
I haven't had a chance to use it yet, most of my games don't go to industrial, and those that do are usually decided by that age anyway. I think there are more important cards, like minutemen vs Ottoman/Russia/France/Germany, the boat cards on water, and of course the unit and resources cards.

It's probably a must for deathmatch though.

Everyone got AIDS and shit
Firebird
OD Core Group
posted 10-29-05 00:24 AM EDT (US)     14 / 26       
Huge help in large team games. They can really crank out the resources, or alternately the cannons can be pretty devestating.

Help HG get rid of Firebird
vbscript2
Skirmisher
posted 10-29-05 02:27 AM EDT (US)     15 / 26       
For the Brits, getting free Imperial Rockets pwns. As does getting free heavy bombards for the ottomans.
alpine
Skirmisher
posted 10-29-05 02:43 AM EDT (US)     16 / 26       
They can make a big difference. Absolutley worth it

ESO Name: Commodus
Coming soon to a theater near you...
Leto
Skirmisher
posted 10-29-05 04:34 AM EDT (US)     17 / 26       
if the game lasts till age IV then its useful, normally by then i would exhausted most of the wood and factory is the only way to keep a steady stream of wood coming in.
ANZAC_FluffyThing
Skirmisher
(id: Aus_Fuzzy)
posted 10-29-05 05:47 AM EDT (US)     18 / 26       
Dammit, the ottomans get that huge ass cannon for FREE?

What has the world come to?

contrary to popular belief, I am not a Fluffy Thing.
bZrK
Skirmisher
posted 10-29-05 06:17 AM EDT (US)     19 / 26       
Its worth it.. Its a free arti pump or recourses .. think its best for 2v2 though
arnitald
Skirmisher
posted 10-29-05 07:48 AM EDT (US)     20 / 26       
Why don't games never last 4 ages? I mean, it's the funniest age with all the cannons . Kinda sucks imo.
CK the Fat
Skirmisher
posted 10-29-05 09:47 AM EDT (US)     21 / 26       
I enjoy advancing to age 4 and often 5, and I just recently put both factory cards in my deck because they are probably the best for gaining resources (no villagers, fills no pop. gathers anything pretty quickly,) and can even make cannons unavilable normally. The rockets own infantry completely and have a huge splash damage range. If you plan on doing some good booms that puts you an age or two ahead of your opponent, factories are a must.
Kronas
Skirmisher
posted 10-29-05 09:53 AM EDT (US)     22 / 26       
Thanks guys, I play a lot of team games, and although most end before I even get a factory, when the games have lasted I've thrown one up. I just wanted to know what the rate was on them, and if they're perceived more as a luxury than anything else. I'll keep it in there, especially for my water maps deck.
MaxReality
Skirmisher
posted 10-29-05 12:02 PM EDT (US)     23 / 26       
I just had a thought about factories... wall it in a few times, obviously stick some gates in, to let the kick-ass artillery out. I presume there the first target for most people to try and destroy.

Im getting a sweater for christmas , I'd much rather have a screamer or a moaner ho! ho! ho!
Ceres629
Skirmisher
posted 10-29-05 12:10 PM EDT (US)     24 / 26       
In fact far from wasting a card in your deck on them, I don't even bother to choose the factory card as spanish. Better of spending it on better Age 2 or Age 3 cards that will definately get used, as opposed to a card that will hardly ever get used, especially since I'm a more agressive player and don't intend on letting any match drag on for too long anyway.
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 10-29-05 12:43 PM EDT (US)     25 / 26       
i like factories, never lost a game where i ended up in industrial or imperial age.

"such a kind fellow!" ~ ķįŋğ_Ćħŗĩ_ĬĬ

Furby killer should be crowned leader of AOE forum ~ [SW_GD]Teutonic

Magnum Pi
Skirmisher
posted 10-29-05 12:54 PM EDT (US)     26 / 26       
Factories do generate resources rather slowly, initially. They can be greatly enhanced with the factory improvements (which then make them equivalent to about 1.5 villies.), and the artillery, althouhg they take a while to produce, pwn everything!

Far from being useless, I love factories and will always put the one (2 as british) factory cards in my deck. All hail the mighty Factories!

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames