You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.23 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » How do you rate this game?
Bottom
Topic Subject:How do you rate this game?
eyeofthetiger
Skirmisher
posted 11-01-05 07:12 PM EDT (US)         
Right off the bat, I am very sorry if this topic has already been posted, but I do not have the time or connection (28.8) to search. So if someone could just give me a link or something, than I'm more than happy to abandon this room.

Anyways, I am not sure if I want to buy this game so new. I just bought SH2 which was a disaster, so I want to double check now. If you can post how you rate this game by graphics, errors/crashes, fun, campaign difficulty, AI ability (strategies, skills, variations), skirmish variation (do all skirmishes seam to be the same), editor detail, and anything else you can think of. Please put this in a 0-5 scale.

This isn't just for me, any potential buyer can come check this out to help them make up there mind.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ processor --- LanParty UT nf3 250GB mobo --- GeForce 6200 OC AGP 8X 256mb video card --- onboard Realtek 850 8ch Audio codec sound card --- 1X1gb DDR 3200 400mhz RAM
AuthorReplies:
Airon
Skirmisher
posted 11-01-05 08:25 PM EDT (US)     1 / 23       
Graphics - Eye Candy 10
Crashes/Errors - I have had 0 10
Fun - ALOT of fun 10
Campaign difficulty - Depends on what setting you put it on
AI Ability - Could be better 7
Skirmish variation - 8
Editor Detail - Some Bugs 6

Lord Hyperion
Skirmisher
posted 11-01-05 08:32 PM EDT (US)     2 / 23       
Fun: This game is tons of fun, almost as fun as it is addicting.
AI: I never play the computer, it's much more fun online. (N/A)
ESO2 (multiplayer service): its 100% pwnage
Crashes/Bugs: I don't know, I've got a pretty good computer, so I'd say 90 % (it's only crashed on me once).
Map Editor: Haven't tried it, but I heard theres some bugs.
Oh yeah, and the campaign: Don't listen to people who say it sucks, try it for yourself. I'm enjoying it, and I think it's one of the best features in the game!

~ LORD HYPERION ESO Stats ~

[This message has been edited by Lord Hyperion (edited 11-01-2005 @ 10:17 PM).]

Beethoven
Skirmisher
posted 11-01-05 09:10 PM EDT (US)     3 / 23       
I guess you will buy it, but the campaign is very fast done, so u have to play skirmishes vs the AI. This game is made for online gaming. But seems only a little percentage plays it really online in the end.

Without the online option I would throw it into the corner latest after 3 weeks. A positive thing is that you can adjust the strength of the Computer-opponent very good, every AI can be switched to one of 50 levels.

I play this game offline for 2 weeks now, but tomorrow i will start on ESO. I practiced a lot to be prepared for a great online event that will last at least 1 year i hope.

I played the campaign until 50% on medium than changed to easy because suddenly it became very difficult. Same day i finished the campaign. Its short. And playing skirmishes without the other 5000 online players ? Alone ? In this case I would prefer other games more. But thats my taste. Theres not very much to complain about, the game is working good, I find no bugs unless some rare crashes while minimized for longer time.

Dont forget to get the update 1.01 somehow. And a second patch can appear soon.

vbscript2
Skirmisher
posted 11-01-05 09:42 PM EDT (US)     4 / 23       
on a scale of 1-5:
graphics: 5
fun: 6
ESO: not sure, only done LAN so far
LAN: 5
AI: 4 (I've beaten 1 vs. 1 on expert, but have also gotten pwned by it. I'm a casual gamer.)
rockets (deserve their own category): 5
error/crashes: haven't had any, so 5

[This message has been edited by vbscript2 (edited 11-01-2005 @ 09:43 PM).]

eyeofthetiger
Skirmisher
posted 11-03-05 08:45 PM EDT (US)     5 / 23       
To add a little more to this thread, did this game meet most of your expectations with or without having played the demo. Also feel free to add any categories you want. Any thing you dont like? My friend said there wasn't a point to building any unit other than musketeers. How do you reflect on that.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ processor --- LanParty UT nf3 250GB mobo --- GeForce 6200 OC AGP 8X 256mb video card --- onboard Realtek 850 8ch Audio codec sound card --- 1X1gb DDR 3200 400mhz RAM
eyeofthetiger
Skirmisher
posted 11-03-05 08:47 PM EDT (US)     6 / 23       
Also for those of you browsing the forum who haven't bought the game or tried the demo, write your expectations. This includes all of you who have seen screenshots, videos...

Eyeofthetiger

StonewallJ
Seraph Emeritus
(id: Conquistador34)
posted 11-03-05 08:54 PM EDT (US)     7 / 23       
Ok, 0-5 scale.

Fun- 5, best game I've played
Graphics- 2, well 5. 2 because I have a sucky graphics card, so that's my fault. But 5 definitely for the little details.
ESO2- 3.5, it is an improvement from ESO1, but there are out of sync errors, not sure what those really are, the frineds list could have more parts to it (if one is in a game), and the game list should not have any full ones up.
AI ability, campaign- no comment, didnt play either, only MP.
Home City- 5, great aspect and creative one to have.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][] Stonewall J [][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
NightsDelusion
Skirmisher
posted 11-03-05 09:05 PM EDT (US)     8 / 23       
Did you already try the demo? It contains the core gameplay. I really do think the campaign's story could have been much better but some levels were fun and difficult. If you want this game I'd say you left out he main feature of most RTS games, playing against humans.
ParCorn
Skirmisher
posted 11-03-05 09:11 PM EDT (US)     9 / 23       
Fun-5 Christ this game is so fun
Grafix-like Stonewall said, you would think it is 5, but i dunno. i give it a 4 because you need a uber card to fully appreciate them
ESO2-3, but i have a feeling its gonna get better. Rite now, they keep having to reboot the system and it drives me insane. Im still kinda flustered from just a week ago when the place was riddled with bugs. The support is good, but these damn router problems are also driving me crazy.
AI-3, From what i've seen, the AI is ordinary. Nothing special. The true reward is with people.
Campaign-Haven't played it, probably not gonna. I think it sounds boring.
Home City-5, i think it ties people to the game more. It makes u feel like, even if u thought a game was ordinary that u accomplished something from it. I, however haven't had an ordinary game yet

Highlight The Flag and It turns Black!
################
################
################
################
################
################
Gamer man
Skirmisher
posted 11-03-05 09:11 PM EDT (US)     10 / 23       
errors: 2 stars, it may not have had many errors, but when your high level city reverts back to what it was when it was level 9, it ruins the entire game for MANY hours, weeks for someone with a tight scedule, as they try to get it back... I WANT MY HC BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!! NE ways one game ruining error is far worse than 100 small glitches
everything else: 5 stars

Moooers are remembered, chirpers never die, splashers are invincable

Zowon
Skirmisher
posted 11-03-05 09:12 PM EDT (US)     11 / 23       
9/10
NightsDelusion
Skirmisher
posted 11-03-05 09:27 PM EDT (US)     12 / 23       
Gamer Man...I think half the forum could easily explain to you how to get your HC back in a couple minutes. This game is not as perfect as half the people say it is. Either that or you all have low standards. For a perfect score the game would have to give me two spontanious ograsms, while revealing to me the secret of life...Actually, no, I don't care what that is. A good get rich quick scheme instead, yeah that would be great.

[This message has been edited by NightsDelusion (edited 11-03-2005 @ 09:27 PM).]

Gamer man
Skirmisher
posted 11-03-05 09:31 PM EDT (US)     13 / 23       
ya... well i asked, and i got no reply, and this was over 2 hours ago... so its game ruining until then. and the beuty of the star system is there is no perfect score, 5 represents a level, not an upper limit

Moooers are remembered, chirpers never die, splashers are invincable

Makita
Skirmisher
posted 11-04-05 00:45 AM EDT (US)     14 / 23       
I think AoE3 is really good, but more importantly it HAS (not past tense) the potential to be great.

When you play it, you get the feeling that it was not quite finished when shipped. It's a well-known fact that ES would have liked to add more features but essentially ran out of time, making last-minute changes right up to the end. This is obvious because some aspects of the game, such as the graphics, physics, and card-playing strategy are beyond top-notch for this genre.

Yet, other aspects that would seem to be essential for an RTS released in 2005 were left out. Althougth economic micromanagement has been improved, the game currently lacks anything important to do with that extra time, as meaningful battlefield tactics are found conspicuoulsy missing. But, the game has defend, cover, and trample stances...so you know there was an attempt made at tactics; it just never got to a finished point.

It's frustrating for now because it's so close to being great. With relatively minor effort, ES can turn this into a rock-solid classic.

If you are just looking for a fun game, definately pick this up. It IS very fun. (I still smile every time a villager takes a cannonball to the kidney and goes flying head over heels) However if, like many people, you are short on cash and will probably only buy one or two games this year, I might wait a bit and see what ES does with the game in the next couple of patches.

lachlan
Skirmisher
posted 11-04-05 04:25 AM EDT (US)     15 / 23       
8/10 its fun but aggravating all the same, the ally AI is so crappy that it makes us offline players basically give up 2 on 2 games.
ES_DeathShrimp
VIP
posted 11-04-05 10:55 AM EDT (US)     16 / 23       

Quote:

It's a well-known fact that ES would have liked to add more features but essentially ran out of time, making last-minute changes right up to the end.

DS: To be clear, this has been the case with ALL of our games.

SilencedDisciple
Skirmisher
posted 11-04-05 11:53 AM EDT (US)     17 / 23       
@DeathShrimp: Does that mean you will be giving out future patches to finsh adding the features you guys wanted?

-SilDis

"We are as happy as our minds make up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Proud member of Ambition Designs
Age3ownz
Skirmisher
posted 11-04-05 12:01 PM EDT (US)     18 / 23       
overall 9/10.. great game.. but not the successor of aoc I expected it should be..
Zizou10
Skirmisher
posted 11-04-05 02:01 PM EDT (US)     19 / 23       
The game is very good Id say 9.4/10

The ESO multiplayer is very good too, sadly it doesnt support ratings and ppl cant see how good they r, but still OK

eyeofthetiger
Skirmisher
posted 11-04-05 06:16 PM EDT (US)     20 / 23       
Thanks for the feedback, I still think I would be waiting until it goes down in price. I want to buy Battlefront 2, Oblivion, and Black and White 2. They are all gonna cost me a lot of money. I want this game, but with dial-up connection, I can't play online. So skirmish will be comprising most of my time, I am not a big campaignest.

Eyeofthetiger

Marcos_Diez
Skirmisher
posted 11-05-05 09:46 AM EDT (US)     21 / 23       

Quote:

@DeathShrimp: Does that mean you will be giving out future patches to finsh adding the features you guys wanted?

-SilDis

Good question. An answer will make me happy

eyeofthetiger
Skirmisher
posted 11-07-05 07:47 PM EDT (US)     22 / 23       
Yeah I'm curious, will that be added in a patch?

Eyeofthetiger

tshack88
Skirmisher
posted 11-07-05 10:23 PM EDT (US)     23 / 23       
just buy it
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames