You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.30 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Watch "The Last of the Mohicans" to get a better feel for the preiod.
Bottom
Topic Subject:Watch "The Last of the Mohicans" to get a better feel for the preiod.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
EngineerOfDoom
Skirmisher
posted 11-04-05 03:50 PM EDT (US)         
One of my favorite movies.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104691/

It has everything in the game - European civs, alliances with native tribes, cannons, muskets, mortars... Great movie.

AuthorReplies:
WartyX
Skirmisher
posted 11-04-05 04:15 PM EDT (US)     1 / 30       
"Tagline: The first American hero."

I saw that on the website and got put right off...

EngineerOfDoom
Skirmisher
posted 11-04-05 04:48 PM EDT (US)     2 / 30       
Ohh... Sorry. The Brits don't make out too well in this movie. Evil imperialists and all that. Oh well.
Ivan the perfect
Skirmisher
posted 11-04-05 05:47 PM EDT (US)     3 / 30       
Comrades! I am back. Some of you who have benn here awhile have known me, comrades. I love this movie, comrades, it is a great movie.

With all my heart, your comrade, Ivan.
Quenestil
Skirmisher
posted 11-04-05 06:29 PM EDT (US)     4 / 30       
'The patriot' is cool too, but its about the revolutionary war. But its about Napoleonic wars.
NAT
Banned
posted 11-05-05 06:49 AM EDT (US)     5 / 30       
The Last of the Mohicans is a fantastic film, much better than the Patriot.
bahari
Skirmisher
posted 11-05-05 08:09 AM EDT (US)     6 / 30       
ahh,"perfect Ivan".

Welcome comrade!

Anyway "The Last of the mohicans" is a Great movie!

Optimistic Mind
Skirmisher
posted 11-05-05 01:31 PM EDT (US)     7 / 30       
well i need to see that one, but Patriot is a gem to those who love to play as the British civ.
raaman
posted 11-05-05 01:40 PM EDT (US)     8 / 30       
Cold Mountain has way cooler battle scenes than last of the mohicans, but it's kinda a chick flick

;zlskehrt;oaweifalkdjfa;io3
GuineaPig
Skirmisher
posted 11-05-05 01:43 PM EDT (US)     9 / 30       
Uh, the Patriot is one of the least historical movies ever and one of the worst too.
-6 year old kids can handle rifles, snipe British officers in the head and reload in 5 seconds.
-British troops kill wounded rebels, burn churches with women and children in them and execute errand runners.
-Mel Gibson takes on 40 British soldiers and doesn't get scathed. The British don't even shoot and don't seem to know how to move.

All this stuff was made up, just to make Americans look good and British to look evil. In truth, it was Americans who comitted atrocities, enslaving British POWs in mines till they died, wiping out Native communities and killing all children, etc.

The British lost the Revolutionary war because their High Command was made up of pompous asses.

BTW, the Last of the Mohicans rocks. Our history teacher let us watch it in class in Grade 7, and I've seen it two other times. Very historically accurate.

tster123
Skirmisher
posted 11-05-05 05:20 PM EDT (US)     10 / 30       

Quote:

All this stuff was made up, just to make Americans look good and British to look evil. In truth, it was Americans who comitted atrocities, enslaving British POWs in mines till they died, wiping out Native communities and killing all children, etc.

I'm going to assume you are british. stop being so ethnocentric. yes americans committed atrocities in the american revolution. however, so did the british. if someone could point me to an army in any war that did not do terrible things, then please do so.

also how is a child being able to shoot a gun "historically" inacurate? maybe unrealistic... but not historically wrong. children of that time period were trained to use weapons for hunting. also the reload times we not made accurate for a reaon. noone wants to watch a movie where there are some people fighting and after they all shoot their first shot, you have to just sit and watch them reload for a minute. think about it.

Mythos_Ruler
Skirmisher
posted 11-05-05 05:33 PM EDT (US)     11 / 30       
Also, "The Patriot" made it quite clear that the atrocities were committed by that British Captain guy, not by the British army as a whole.
Sealcow
Skirmisher
posted 11-05-05 10:27 PM EDT (US)     12 / 30       
The Patriot is a terrible movie, and even if it is not meant to be taken as historically accurate, I know many adults, including history teachers, who take it very seriously. It makes Banastre Tarleton out to be a villian, despite his almost completely clean if not completely clean record, smeared by idiots in the 19th century, while they ignored the atrocities commited by "Light Horse" Harry Lee, father of Robert. E. Lee. I can't believe anyone would even try to defend that movie.

As for Last of the Mohicans, it's a fun, well made, classic movie that is very reminiscent of Age 3, in my mind at least.

[This message has been edited by Sealcow (edited 11-05-2005 @ 10:28 PM).]

Dio_the_lonely
Banned
posted 11-06-05 01:08 AM EDT (US)     13 / 30       
Ivan the Perfect just overused comrades, and ruined the word for me.

Yes, the Patriots was just horrible.

[This message has been edited by Dio (edited 11-06-2005 @ 01:09 AM).]

thegreenguy
Skirmisher
posted 11-06-05 04:01 AM EDT (US)     14 / 30       
I thought The Patriot was a good film. Most films aren't very "historically accurate" anyway, so I don't see why this makes it "bad".

[This message has been edited by thegreenguy (edited 11-06-2005 @ 04:01 AM).]

Sealcow
Skirmisher
posted 11-06-05 01:17 PM EDT (US)     15 / 30       
Well, for one thing, it's not even very good taken unseriously. It should be noted that that is not my opinion, I mostly just hate it for historical reasons, I just have read a lot of reviews. As for why the historical reasons make it a bad movie, people in America are generally uneducated about how immoral our revolution was, let alone how it was carried out, and reinforcing ignorant ideas about an important part of our nations history is wrong.
TOAO_VTEC
Skirmisher
posted 11-06-05 01:26 PM EDT (US)     16 / 30       
The Patriot was one of the biggest disappointments this side of WaterWorld.

[This message has been edited by TOAO_VTEC (edited 11-06-2005 @ 01:27 PM).]

vbscript2
Skirmisher
posted 11-06-05 01:58 PM EDT (US)     17 / 30       
the tagline about being the first american hero was probably due to the fact that the Leather Stocking Tales by Cooper was the first American epic. The Last of the Mohicans was part of that series.

There were a lot of reasons that the British lost the Amer Rev. Most importantly, the colonists were fighting a defensive war. Once the colonists were farely unified (and the Brits did a good job of ensuring that...,) it would have been next to impossible for the Brits to have won the war, even if they won every battle.

As far as atrocities, there were plenty on both sides, as in most wars.

EngineerOfDoom
Skirmisher
posted 11-06-05 08:13 PM EDT (US)     18 / 30       
Care to be more specific on how our war for independence was "immoral"? War in general is a bad thing, but there are certainly worse things than war - tyrany for one. I would like to know why you think fighting for freedom and self-determination is wrong.
mrshivery
Skirmisher
posted 11-06-05 08:53 PM EDT (US)     19 / 30       
Yeah I am curious as to how the American Revolution was "immoral".
Sealcow
Skirmisher
posted 11-06-05 09:50 PM EDT (US)     20 / 30       
Lets see... first of all, the Americans were never very unified. In the north, the British recieved huge amounts of help from loyalists in a number of states, and some of the finest British units in the war came from there. In the south, a civil war was fought, and the only reasons the British weren't as well supplied with troops from that area as the Americans were was similar to the north; unlike the British, the American patriots constantly harassed, humiliated, and in some cases, slaughtered outspoken loyalists. There are many instances of this, ranging from forcing awful things on loyalists, to tar and feathering, to "Light Horse" Harry Lee commiting some of the worst atrocities of the war, and all sorts of abuse. The loyalist population, although about a third, was much less active, and although the British hung organizers and soldiers when possible, they did not adequetly protect their supporters. It is also commonly thought that by the end of the war America was unified; it wasn't, many left to go to Canada, or remained British supporters, even by 1812. As for plenty of atrocities on both sides, some, but not actually all that bad. British officers had a tendency to severely punish bad soldiers who abused civilians, and both sides showed a fair amount of restraint with each others men. There are, as always, a few atrocities to speak of, but not nearly as many as the American view would have one believe, and the majority of which I am aware were done by Americans. As for why the war is immoral, there are a number of factors. Firstly, I personally believe all wars are immoral, but, in fact, I believe the revolution was worse than most because it was, like all wars, driven by wealthy people who wanted more of various things, and impatient thinkers who wanted to experiment, but unlike most wars, was masked as a huge glorious battle for freedom. The goals of getting more land from Indians, freeing ourselves of English taxes, which, although possibly unfair, were legitimate, and a change of leadership which wasn't intended to change nearly as much as it did, are not noble like people tend to make them seem today. We were plenty "self determining", and the British taxes had numerous benefits for us, such as paying for a war that stopped us from being slaughtered by French armed Indians. One can hopefully see that the roots of the American revolution were serving the interests of a few people, same as pretty much any other war.

[This message has been edited by Sealcow (edited 11-06-2005 @ 09:53 PM).]

EngineerOfDoom
Skirmisher
posted 11-06-05 10:24 PM EDT (US)     21 / 30       
>>>“Firstly, I personally believe all wars are immoral, but, in fact, I believe the revolution was worse than most because it was, like all wars, driven by wealthy people who wanted more of various things…”

If the Founding Fathers were indeed “wealthy people who just wanted more”, no way in hell would they risk all of their property and their very lives for a long-shot gamble like beating the omnipotent British. That argument defies logic. Something else drove these good men to fight totalitarianism.

>>>“…and impatient thinkers who wanted to experiment”

Huh?!

>>>“…freeing ourselves of English taxes, which, although possibly unfair, were legitimate”

So you feel taxation without representation is legitimate. Interesting.

>>>… the British taxes had numerous benefits for us, such as paying for a war that stopped us from being slaughtered by French armed Indians.

The French-and-Indian war was a proxy fight between two European superpowers. American settlers were not threatened significantly by native tribes. If your assertion were true, America would have been overrun shortly after the Revolution, when British “protection” left the states. No, the truth is that the colonies were a source of wealth for the Crown. Colonists, wealthy and poor, were tired of seeing their hard work benefit the Empire instead of their community.

Lastly,

>>>”One can hopefully see that the roots of the American revolution were serving the interests of a few people, same as pretty much any other war.”

The Revolution didn’t serve your interests, eh? Well, I guess if you feel you would be better off today still as a colonist under British rule, paying heavy taxes but having no voting power, facing forced conscription, being made to house British troops, etc., etc., etc., then you are a nut-bag.

Long live the Queen!

mrshivery
Skirmisher
posted 11-06-05 10:58 PM EDT (US)     22 / 30       
The theory of the American Revolution was only to benefit a few wealthy people, and not because people were sick of the British rule sounds more like an Alex Jones conspiracy theory. All wars do suck yes, but some are a necessary evil, and doesn't exactly mean that it is "immoral". As far as the horrendous acts commited during the war, I'm sure they were done on both sides, who did more, I don't know, because I wasn't there, and there is bias in almost anything that is written.
Jeffrey
Skirmisher
(id: Bosefus zx)
posted 11-06-05 11:53 PM EDT (US)     23 / 30       
I should point out that some of the props used in Last of the Mohicans is used by my summer camp to put on our horribly innacurate indian pageant.

We are displaying cheraw, catawba, and cherokee indians using a mix of plains, soix, and mohican regalia. It is fun though. We do this huge battle scene, I was chief I kicked so much ass. I went out with a club and a brown sock stuffed with other socks. I would crack clubs with people then wail on them with the sock. It was intense.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
-Benjamin Franklin
Attrition
Skirmisher
posted 11-07-05 01:26 PM EDT (US)     24 / 30       
First off:"noone wants to watch a movie where there are some people fighting and after they all shoot their first shot, you have to just sit and watch them reload for a minute."---This is very true. Movies are made to entertain and more often than not they entertain inaccuratley. I don't agree with it but in reality how -any- nation is portrayed in a film should have absolutely no bearing on reality what-so-ever. They are, after all, just movies. Hopefully our mommies and daddies all taught us that movies are not real. Some American Civil War movies glorify the south, some villify the south and the same applies to the north. In most all World War II movies, wether they be produced by the British or the Americans, the Japanese and Germans are always the ones shown to be committing the horrible acts. Nobody wants to show American viewers that Americans put many innocent people of asian decent into what were essentially prison camps in the U.S., nobody wants to show American troops or British troops shooting unarmed German and Japanese P.O.Ws though in Saving Private Ryan they actually did touch on that a bit. Also in most WWII films all German soldiers are portrayed as having an in-born hatred for Jewish people. This was not true, most of them fought in and for the service of thier country alone. Alot of our men and women don't agree with the 'War on Terror' but they still give it their all. In 'The Great Escape', Americans are shown to do much of the work when, in fact, it was the British. So this is just the way films work. They're made to entertain. That doesn't make it right but that is simply how it is.

Who dost molest my contemplation?
Quenestil
Skirmisher
posted 11-07-05 02:22 PM EDT (US)     25 / 30       
I just said the patriot beacause of the battles... Not to start a flamed war... :S
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames