You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.31 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » My reasons why I think Spanish are among the top 3 best civs.
Bottom
Topic Subject:My reasons why I think Spanish are among the top 3 best civs.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Ceres629
Skirmisher
posted 11-06-05 05:42 AM EDT (US)         
Before I got the game everyone was saying that spanish sucked, but i was sure they didn't. Sure enough once I got the full version and was able to play online it confirmed what I believed, spanish are without a doubt among the best, maybe even number 2 behind france which is just clearly number 1.

The spanish have fast shipments which means once they hit level 10 they can really put down some powerful cards into their deck. (Just play some team games to level them up if you don't want to play 1v1 with the slightly weaker lv 1-9 spanish.)

Once you hit level 10 you get access to cool cards, and if you saved cards, (i save 6 cards when i hit lvl 10) you can get a bunch of nice lvl 10 ones.

My favourites are:
#1 Inquistor - This HUGE boost in line of sight is amazing, add on the church LOS upgrades and you have such a huge sight range you can spot the enemy long before they see you, and use this to your advantage to rush in and destroy cannons if they are exposed, do any devastation you see fit. This is in my opinion the best lvl10 card you can get, then add on to that the LOS upgrade that artillery gets from the arsenal and you literally have cannons that are mobile towers. Almost no chance for you to get suprised by a cav raid, you spot them a mile off.

#2 Caballeros - This card increase the multiplier of lancers against infantry from x3 to x4. This means a whopping extra 20 damage for a base lancer. with upgrades it makes it even more damaging. Upgraded lancers force most civs to go dragoons, which are very tame units. They are ONLY good at taking down cav, and nothing else, so your enemies attack force is much tamer. However most people don't realise that these are uber lancers that will pwn even pikemen, and still mass pikemen against them! Even halberdiers can go down if they don't mass enough of them.

#3 Archaic Soldier Training - This card is a must because spanish have decent archaic units especially pikemen and crossbow men, and when I use a water boom strategy and my military lags behind, this card can help me field a bigger army much quicker since it reduces the build rate of Xbows by 50% and pikes by 25%.

So far I haven't run into any games where i thought, omg spanish suck, I'm now 20-4 but of the 4 games i lost, each one was due to being out played by a better opponent (damn u french) and one where I played against a better spanish player.

I may start to play with all civs eventually but for now i would rate the civs:

1) French
2) Spanish
3) Russia (I haven't played a russian player yet, but i think they are strong)
4) Dutch
5) British
6) Ottomans
7) Germans
8) Portugeuse

What do you think?

[This message has been edited by Ceres629 (edited 11-06-2005 @ 05:46 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
TheGoodEvil
Skirmisher
posted 11-06-05 07:38 PM EDT (US)     26 / 31       
USE CROSSBOWS... like everyone else... German should do better at countering ottomans due to free uhlans to either raid vils or kill abus.

if they mass abus then you mass doppels and charge, doppels are pretty darn fast, they should be able to catch Abus before they are killed off.

TGE

TGE's RTS Blog, news, thoughts, and advice on RTS gaming

Able Company (my job)

"I've kicked more ass on accident than most people have on purpose"

Ceres629
Skirmisher
posted 11-06-05 08:01 PM EDT (US)     27 / 31       
Xbows and hussars really counter the ottoman rush really well, its all about knowing when to fight and when to run. Basically you want to only fight near your towers or TC and you want to avoid all fights if possible.

The longer you survive the better your chances. A key to defeating flat out rushers, is to think ahead. Don't wait until you run out of one resource to think about getting another source. You should know that if you are being pinned in your base you will eventually need to start thinking about finding a way to secure more resources, planning in advance means you can choose the best time to do this.

I really don't think ottomans are overpowered, people need to learn not to fight them early on when they have the advantage.

raaman
posted 11-06-05 09:30 PM EDT (US)     28 / 31       

Quote:

3) Russia (I haven't played a russian player yet, but i think they are strong)

Huh? I just saw a recorded game of you whooping a russians bootay!

;zlskehrt;oaweifalkdjfa;io3
Ceres629
Skirmisher
posted 11-07-05 04:43 AM EDT (US)     29 / 31       
^

I played that game after I made this thread!

Quote:

you ahev to really have a lot of play time with spain to make them truely effective, and you have to know what you are capable of. most players don't hince they think spain sucks. When I first started with spain they sucked, and they did suck. low level spain without the proper card selection sucks... seriously.

Yeah, choose the wrong cards and you basically cripple your homecity. Luckly I analysed the cards in the demo enough to know which cards were best to use and which units are strongest etc, so that I was able to just go straight online and start pwning with spanish, but I agree, they are tough to use, if you don't keep practising, most people play as them and lose a lot and then never play with them again. All the better for me, I hate playing with civs that every uses, thats why i never played atlanteans in AoM always played zeus.

[This message has been edited by Ceres629 (edited 11-07-2005 @ 04:48 AM).]

Yaden
Skirmisher
posted 11-07-05 11:16 AM EDT (US)     30 / 31       

Quote:

USE CROSSBOWS... like everyone else... German should do better at countering ottomans due to free uhlans to either raid vils or kill abus.

if they mass abus then you mass doppels and charge, doppels are pretty darn fast, they should be able to catch Abus before they are killed off.

Don't Abus get a bonus against calavry? Uhlans to take out their villies is always good. Was watching some recorded games last night, seems xbow are the way to go and I will definitely have them ready for next Ottoman I face.

-Yaden

BloodHawk123
Skirmisher
posted 11-07-05 02:05 PM EDT (US)     31 / 31       
Yes, xbows are deffinitely the way to go. The only problem is by the time the Ottomans attack you at about 5:30 they will have probably about 15-20 jans maybe some abus guns. It is very difficult for any civ other than another ottoman to mass an army to defeat this. Now, if they focused their shipments on towers or military units you could probably beat the original rush. I always rush as Germans so I advance fast. If I send military and towers I might be able to counter their rush.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames