You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.4 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Otto-matic in multiplayer games?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Otto-matic in multiplayer games?
SwiftAero
Skirmisher
posted 11-16-05 11:30 AM EDT (US)         
Ottomans are known for their rushing abilities and also known not to be good for booming. The bottomline is that you had better win early with Ottomans because, if not, you will lose with them later in the game.

Now to my question. Ottomans are great for 1x1 games. How about multiplayer games? Do Ottomans lose their luster?

[This message has been edited by SwiftAero (edited 11-16-2005 @ 05:35 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Zeusmeister
Skirmisher
posted 11-16-05 04:27 PM EDT (US)     1 / 4       
No advertising. Ottomans are fine in multiplayer. A good jan. rush is hard to stop.

Quote from WH_demoneyekyo: "I would say u need more thinking playing "Go" then u would playing chess."

[This message has been edited by Zeusmeister (edited 11-16-2005 @ 04:28 PM).]

SwiftAero
Skirmisher
posted 11-16-05 05:32 PM EDT (US)     2 / 4       
(I didn't know about the "advertising" clause. I updated the original post)

I agree, a good Janissary rush is a good thing. However, isn't it true that if a player can hold off an Ottoman, the scale tips in favor of the non-Ottoman because of a poorer Ottoman economy? At least that's true for single player. I would think that in the typically longer multi-player games, the Ottomans' strengths are reduced.

[This message has been edited by SwiftAero (edited 11-16-2005 @ 05:36 PM).]

Blue_Devil
Skirmisher
posted 11-16-05 05:42 PM EDT (US)     3 / 4       
I would think the biggest difference would be that, if the ottoman attacked unsupported, and the other side combined armies to fight him off, it would go very badly for the ottoman.

That said, I've played as the ottoman in team games, had my rush turned back, then successfully expanded my econ at a relatively high rate (I hesitate to say "boomed", because it isn't that quick) while harassing the enemy, and it turns out FU jans are pretty effective in the late game, as are FU albus guns.

I think the real weakpoint of the ottomans is the midgame stage, where most 1v1 games are decided. If you let them hang around into the late game and don't smash their villagers throughout, they can be trouble.

After all, a slow villager build rate isn't so detrimental when they reach their natural cap, anyways...

Gundanium
Skirmisher
posted 11-16-05 06:29 PM EDT (US)     4 / 4       
It's more about hurting the other players economy early, not about flat out winning.

[img]http://www.elpea.net/stats/Martymcfly.png[/img]
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames