You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Serious concern...
Bottom
Topic Subject:Serious concern...
kasimoto
Banned
posted 11-16-05 02:14 PM EDT (US)         
Although i was not going to buy aoe3 till the xmas vacations, i couldnt resist and bought my copy on Monday, And it was worth every cent.

But today i went to a movie rental store to return a previously viewed movie. As i put my Copy in the return box, i noticed that they had put a sign up that agoe3 was on rental in their gaming departement. Now, correct me if i am wrong, but isnt that plainly illegal to do so? Cant they get in serious trouble for that?
(AND NO, i did not rent it from there, i bought my copy from future shop, in case if one of the Mods decide to ban me again for hypothetically assuming false things)

AuthorReplies:
w00tdaddy109
Skirmisher
posted 11-16-05 02:15 PM EDT (US)     1 / 12       
Very illegal. Shop the bastards.

A lot older, though no wiser.
DarkAge
Skirmisher
posted 11-16-05 02:16 PM EDT (US)     2 / 12       
Aside from the legality issues, why would anyone want to rent AoE3? Obviously you can't go online with a rented copy, so the game is limited to the campaign and skirmishes. That would be fun for about 3 days. Nothing compares to the online experience.
Blue_Devil
Skirmisher
posted 11-16-05 02:19 PM EDT (US)     3 / 12       
3 days, you say? Sounds about like the duration of a rental period.

Still, I agree. Report the bastards.

DarkAge
Skirmisher
posted 11-16-05 02:23 PM EDT (US)     4 / 12       

Quote:

3 days, you say? Sounds about like the duration of a rental period.

True, true. Strategy games are just not good rentals. It can take weeks to really get into the game. A good rental is something that you can jump right into, like Grand Theft Auto.

schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 11-16-05 02:24 PM EDT (US)     5 / 12       
maybe it is legal, it happens quite a lot

"such a kind fellow!" ~ ķįŋğ_Ćħŗĩ_ĬĬ

Furby killer should be crowned leader of AOE forum ~ [SW_GD]Teutonic

gunner1
Scenario Expert
posted 11-16-05 03:54 PM EDT (US)     6 / 12       
at my video shop they always rent ps2 x box and consol games but never pc games. so it probobly is illegal.
majpain
Skirmisher
posted 11-16-05 04:18 PM EDT (US)     7 / 12       
WEll actually they are starting to rent pc games like out.Its a 3-7 day trial of the game but its full version.
Bossman
Skirmisher
posted 11-16-05 04:21 PM EDT (US)     8 / 12       
It's legal to rent all sorts of games.
Blue_Devil
Skirmisher
posted 11-16-05 04:21 PM EDT (US)     9 / 12       
Wierd. I guess it might be profitable for developers to allow it so long as the physical copy protection works and no-cd cracks fail. Or if the majority of their renters are honest, simple folk.
alpine
Skirmisher
posted 11-16-05 08:52 PM EDT (US)     10 / 12       
I've been wishing someone would rent out PC games for a long time...

ESO Name: Commodus
Coming soon to a theater near you...
ShadowZX
Skirmisher
posted 11-16-05 08:54 PM EDT (US)     11 / 12       
If console games r legal to be rentable then why not PC games.
Blue_Devil
Skirmisher
posted 11-16-05 09:45 PM EDT (US)     12 / 12       
It's not a matter of general "legality", it's about what the developers and publishers of the game allow by contract.

Historically, console games have been more readily rentable because they don't really need much in the way of copy protection. The physical cartridge or CD for a console game was absolutely required to play it, so when your rental period was over, you were no longer able to play after returning it. (This has become less true due to consoles moving towards media that is more easily copied, along with the incredible proliferation of consumer copying hardware in recent years - i.e., CDR, DVDRW, etc.)

In contrast, computer games have always been easily copied, and have relied on varying methods of copy protection to protect them. In the old days, they were codes that you typed in during the first fwe mintues of the game every time you played. Easily circumvented by photocopying the instruction manual. Point being, back then, if you rented a computer game, you could simply copy it before you returned it, and you would have it forever. Piracy was rampant, and it seriously drained revenues from software companies.

Copy protection has advanced a great deal recently, and so it seems that developers and publishers have gotten comfortable with the idea that only the more dedicated pirates will be able to steal there games, and they stand to make mroe money renting than they will lose from the ensuing piracy.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames