Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.28 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » hot air balloons
Bottom
Topic Subject:hot air balloons
rust888
Skirmisher
posted 11-22-05 09:34 PM EDT (US)         
bit of a noob question here but ill ask anyways:

when the explorer get the ability to use hot air balloons, does the ability regenerate? (aka unlimited balloons but slow regen. rate)

2) can they be shot down? i read in the manual they can be attked by ranged units, but ive never seen it done...

thx in advance

AuthorReplies:
StonewallJ
Seraph Emeritus
(id: Conquistador34)
posted 11-22-05 10:04 PM EDT (US)     1 / 28       
Yes, regenerates like the treasurer one shot kill. I believe it dies after an amount of time, and can be shot by ranged building, and maybe units.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][] Stonewall J [][][][][][][][][][][]
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 11-23-05 01:50 AM EDT (US)     2 / 28       
cant be shot

"such a kind fellow!" ~ ķįŋğ_Ćħŗĩ_ĬĬ

Furby killer should be crowned leader of AOE forum ~ [SW_GD]Teutonic

akin
Skirmisher
posted 11-23-05 03:25 AM EDT (US)     3 / 28       
I love them, I use them, they cant be shot down. They do, however, die out after a while. It would be a damn strong card if they did not die out or if they could stand for like 5 min. Then everybody would want to get it.
How about a petition to get those baloons to stay for an extended period, say 5 min?

Keep on the sunny side of life
ESO:Akin
Cy Marlayne
Skirmisher
posted 11-23-05 04:45 AM EDT (US)     4 / 28       
No, no upgrade for the balloons is necessary. However, if ever one came about, I would expect it to be recharge time, not lifespan.
Ceres629
Skirmisher
posted 11-23-05 05:37 AM EDT (US)     5 / 28       
I personally think they are useless and could use a bit of a buff. Maybe reduce LOS and increase the time in stays for. Otherwise why bother wasting a card on something that lasts for like 10 seconds...
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 11-23-05 05:45 AM EDT (US)     6 / 28       
you can only counter if you know what your enemy is doing. and it regenerates pretty fast

akin
Skirmisher
posted 11-23-05 07:02 AM EDT (US)     7 / 28       
It does regenerate fast but it goes down fast also. You know what the enemy is doing by the time it goes down, but if it lasted longer, I could just drive it to other places to see all.
Personally, I would prefer they increase their LOS also. After all, you are looking from above.
Plus, the dark map just scares me

schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 11-23-05 07:09 AM EDT (US)     8 / 28       
increased LOS? you can see half of enemy base

akin
Skirmisher
posted 11-23-05 07:40 AM EDT (US)     9 / 28       
Yeah why not? That way, you can see where he is hunting where he is cutting wood. All that and more. With the default LOS, you can only see his town center and a couple of blocks.

Innovan
Skirmisher
posted 11-23-05 12:58 PM EDT (US)     10 / 28       
Is there a hotkey to select the balloon?

Clicking on the balloon and then directing it to move to a different part of the map lets you unfog large strips of the map, useful particularly on divided maps like Amazon. You get the experience points for unfogging with the balloon just the same as any other unit exploring.

I find myself fumbling to click on the balloon after its built before I can direct it what path to move. Is there any hotkey combo to select it quickly?

And can the Spyglass be moved during its timeout the same as the balloon?

ZhaZ
Skirmisher
posted 11-23-05 01:51 PM EDT (US)     11 / 28       
I've recently added it to one of my decks and so have others in the top 30. Dont think its that bad at all.

[img]http://www.mastersgames.de/esostats/NoX,qaghan,0,5.png[/img]
CK the Fat
Skirmisher
posted 11-23-05 03:29 PM EDT (US)     12 / 28       
I always use balloons, they can blow an enemy forward base really easily or reveal if where their wood gatherers are. I get nervous when my enemy uses a ballon on me.

BTW, how many civs get balloons? I know British and French do. Do all civilizations get that tech?

majpain
Skirmisher
posted 11-23-05 03:34 PM EDT (US)     13 / 28       
CK the Fat
Skirmisher
posted 11-23-05 03:36 PM EDT (US)     14 / 28       
...reason?
some_player
Skirmisher
posted 11-23-05 03:49 PM EDT (US)     15 / 28       
Dutch and Spanish get them too.
Have the ballon in my deck.

Just got the X-pack!
Playing Classic Age3 again
majpain
Skirmisher
posted 11-23-05 04:22 PM EDT (US)     16 / 28       
ToMyBoY
Skirmisher
posted 11-23-05 08:27 PM EDT (US)     17 / 28       
Don't last long enough.
Emperor_Bill
Skirmisher
posted 11-27-05 09:30 AM EDT (US)     18 / 28       
I use balloons all the time and I love them. They clear a serious amount of shroud when you move them across a strip. I've never seen one shot down by anything. Either they can't be shot down or most people don't know that they can be shot down. They regenerate fast enough, although I'd love them to be faster! . I use them to identify unprotected routes into the enemy's base so I can direct my troops to vils, mills, manors, or places where there are no troops & towers.
mephisto217
Skirmisher
posted 11-29-05 10:19 AM EDT (US)     19 / 28       
Useless card, why????

Think, when do you want this card to use. Early in the game, right? But against player with your skill, you want to use this card instead of econ or unit card. Not really. In early games other cards are more usefull, because they boost your economy or you get some units to fight off a rush. And you can use your explorer to find out what your opponent is going to do.

So, until the card will be upgraded, say you can use it 5:00 min., dont think about using it.

But, if you playing a noob or a sandbox AI it is just nice to see this beautiful balloon flying around. I love this card as long as I play against hc 40lvl ottomans

slayerman
Skirmisher
posted 11-29-05 10:41 AM EDT (US)     20 / 28       
I've got it in my fun deck, but otherwise there are too many better cards to have it in my standard deck.
scipio_africanus
Skirmisher
posted 11-29-05 10:43 AM EDT (US)     21 / 28       
I don't use it for exploring, rather for scouting out troop movements eg seeing how many units the opponent has by his fort, and where the units that my ally just repelled are going.

///scipio_africanus\\\
"Scipio rules. Nelson sucks." - Jax
"I have a shrine to Scipio in my closet."- Doitzel
"posting a link with no sort of comment or explanation is not something we readily condone in OD." - GillB
The Gamers' Manifesto|Welcome to HG!|The Sanatorium
Winner of the Order of Doitzel!
gunner1
Scenario Expert
posted 11-29-05 11:38 AM EDT (US)     22 / 28       
the hot air ballon shouldn't be used for the early game but the late game when your opponents based is impossible to get into. this means you can effectivly make counters. it would be beeter though if it was a team card for portugal.
StonewallJ
Seraph Emeritus
(id: Conquistador34)
posted 11-29-05 07:08 PM EDT (US)     23 / 28       
Oh, the reason I thought it could get shot down because in the manual it said, 'vulnerable to ranged attack'

I guess that was a last minute change

[][][][][][][][][][] Stonewall J [][][][][][][][][][][]
Elpea
Hal
(id: lp_usa)
posted 11-29-05 07:13 PM EDT (US)     24 / 28       
I love it.. though I've been finding it not being used lately due to all the mercs I've gotten, which are much more worthy than the baloon.

majpain
Skirmisher
posted 11-29-05 07:19 PM EDT (US)     25 / 28       
CK the Fat
Skirmisher
posted 11-29-05 09:11 PM EDT (US)     26 / 28       
A hot air balloon early game can blow an enemy forward base or reveal if they have villagers straggling away from base. There's a good practical use for earlygame.
raaman
posted 11-29-05 09:12 PM EDT (US)     27 / 28       
I honestly hot air baloons should be reserved only for FFA games.

;zlskehrt;oaweifalkdjfa;io3
CK the Fat
Skirmisher
posted 11-29-05 09:15 PM EDT (US)     28 / 28       
Yeah, but then you get everyone suspicious of you, and they gang up against you.

Or, like I do, I publicly announce what everyone has in their base to scare people into thinking I'm stronger than I am.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames