You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » German musketeer alternative?
Bottom
Topic Subject:German musketeer alternative?
Juncal
Skirmisher
posted 11-28-05 03:58 AM EDT (US)         
i've been playing as the Germans lately, but I have struggled to find a decent alternative to the musketeer.

does anyone have any ideas on a substitute for the musketeer?

AuthorReplies:
whyabadi
Skirmisher
posted 11-28-05 04:08 AM EDT (US)     1 / 12       
Musketeer is a ranged heavy infantry. You find the ranged part in Crossbowmen, and the heavy infatry part in Doppelsoldners.
atvenn
Skirmisher
posted 11-28-05 04:16 AM EDT (US)     2 / 12       
I play the Germans exclusively now....though probably less than twenty times. I've never built a single musketeer yet and have still faired pretty well. Yea, the Uhlans, War Wagons and the funny-hat guys is pretty much all I use.
Juncal
Skirmisher
posted 11-28-05 04:57 AM EDT (US)     3 / 12       
i've never really used dopps. they seem a bit too expensive for their stats.
slayerman
Skirmisher
posted 11-28-05 06:30 AM EDT (US)     4 / 12       
Yeah dopps are pathetic vs ranged since their so slow and any decent player will out mirco them, but they are alright vs cav, pikeman, buildings. I normally mix my german army between crossbows, uhlans and pikeman. Fortress age has many more options for the germans with mercs and other units.
MicMan
Skirmisher
posted 11-28-05 07:16 AM EDT (US)     5 / 12       
There is really no reason to build "Doppelsöldner".

Age 3 favors ranged units too heavily so anyone will use skirmishers and in masses. What works for "Kürassiere", does not work for dopples, they die in droves against skirms.

Uhlans also have this weakness with their low hitpoints. So the main units of german armies are X-Bows/Pikes and Mercs/Skirms/Warwagons at age3+.

Popemaster_Joef
Skirmisher
posted 11-28-05 07:16 AM EDT (US)     6 / 12       
As far as Dopplesoldners go, i just use them as an upgraded pikeman. They are amazing vs buildings and calv, but not good against other things.
Generally, i get about 8 uhlans from home city shipments and send those guys in to raid while i get to the 3rd age.

Eso name= Sintho_Matix
I heard sombwhere that elpea is brazillian and I am racist against brazillians so now i hate you even more.
"wave of babies"- http://www.homestarrunner.com/tgs6.html
DannyBoy17
Skirmisher
posted 11-28-05 10:46 AM EDT (US)     7 / 12       
The Dopp TC rush is nearly unstoppable if done right
tster123
Skirmisher
posted 11-28-05 11:59 AM EDT (US)     8 / 12       
doppels kill buildings like their made of paper.
Gold Rust
Skirmisher
posted 11-28-05 12:20 PM EDT (US)     9 / 12       
Dopps are very useful in small numbers. The german rush can be well executed with dopps and eventually landskentch, both with extremely high siege damage. The units are both very good in age 2 because the onyl units that rival them at that time are cavalry - and both get a bonus against them
Alex898
Skirmisher
posted 11-28-05 12:51 PM EDT (US)     10 / 12       
Dopples are awesome, they eat cuirs alive and have area damage, plus do alot of damage especially to buildings.
Jiga5
Skirmisher
posted 11-28-05 05:27 PM EDT (US)     11 / 12       
I guess the alternative to the musketeer for the Germans would be the skirmisher. I find that if you add some ranged native units in they more than compensate for not having a musteteer. Skirmishers, Udlans, natives, some dopps from the HC is what I use and that seems to work great. Add some mercs + seige weapons and you have an unstopperable force.

Do the Germans get upgrades for the skirmisher and Udlan from the HC?

fhertlein
Skirmisher
posted 11-28-05 06:27 PM EDT (US)     12 / 12       
After getting my ass handed to me a few times, I have started to build barracks exclusively, build the crossbowman, pikes and skirmishers.

This generally allows me to hold off the early rush, provided I have a tower or two up, and eventually use the fort to build war wagons and a few uhlans.

I tend to hold onto the free uhlans, until there are enough to raid the enemy villagers, to split the group up until they get killed, when I can not remove them fast enough.

"The devil and the priest can't exist if one goes away, its just like the battle of the sun and moon, night and day. The force of the devil is what we are told to fear. Watch out for religion when he gets too near."
"Living in a world of fantasy, I can hide behind what's real."
"Behind a smile, there's danger and a promise to be told, you'll never get old. Life's fantasy, to be locked away and still to think you're free! So live for today, tomorrow never comes. Die young."
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames