You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.7 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Are War Dogs worth it?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Are War Dogs worth it?
Scrut
Skirmisher
posted 11-29-05 01:49 AM EDT (US)         
They are very useful for getting treasues early, but are they good enough to justify all that food?

I suppose if you found a treasure worth a lot of food early it would be, but good ones like that usually have several human guardians of 320 or 600 hp which are hard to take out even with several war dogs.

I usually end up not making them until later on in the game if I have extra food, but by then it really isnt that helpfull.

I'm sure some expert has a killer strat involvong war dogs, but i'm curious what everyone thinks.

AuthorReplies:
EE Talon
Skirmisher
posted 11-29-05 01:54 AM EDT (US)     1 / 7       
I have yet to use them... They cost as much as a villager, or if you're Ottoman or Dutch, they cost 12.5% of your ageing food. Too much to sacrifice for a few treasures. They also die really easily, which is no good.

Talanos | AoM + AoE3H's former Unofficial Angel
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
FPH MSNIT talon@transalt.com
Taufiq Khan
Skirmisher
(id: Shala_T)
posted 11-29-05 03:58 AM EDT (US)     2 / 7       
I usually keep two dogs with me...just in case I find another explorer or if I just want backup on getting a hard treasure early

EDIT: They're good scouts/baits to boot. Before attacking an enemy base I usually send a pack of five accompanied with like two soldiers behind the base. By the time hes distracted (or should be) I attack

★★★★★

[This message has been edited by Shala_LoL (edited 11-29-2005 @ 04:00 AM).]

EidolonJM
Skirmisher
posted 11-29-05 04:40 AM EDT (US)     3 / 7       
I would say it's hard to justify building them in age 1, simply because you need all the food you can get.

An ideal time to me would be after you've clicked the age up button, and use them to get the more difficult treasures.

They also provide a cheap, good military backup, because you know, they own crossbowmen from behind

scipio_africanus
Skirmisher
posted 11-29-05 06:42 AM EDT (US)     4 / 7       
If I see a treasure with them, I'll go for it, as they can act as a good meatshield for your explorer and give him time to get in a 1-shot kill.

///scipio_africanus\\\
"Scipio rules. Nelson sucks." - Jax
"I have a shrine to Scipio in my closet."- Doitzel
"posting a link with no sort of comment or explanation is not something we readily condone in OD." - GillB
The Gamers' Manifesto|Welcome to HG!|The Sanatorium
Winner of the Order of Doitzel!
ElitE_TactiC
Skirmisher
posted 11-29-05 06:50 AM EDT (US)     5 / 7       
explorer with hand attack can win all (individually) outlaws and with dogs you can get those tresures who gives you about 250 food or something..free XP+food

www.elitesite.tk<---my clan, you are free to join, depends on skills^if u like to chat or join just add my msn emco_@hotmail.com beacuse i love to chat strats and stuff
Swiffle
Skirmisher
posted 11-29-05 07:29 AM EDT (US)     6 / 7       
2 war dogs in tier 1 gives you access to extra XP and creeps that you can't solo. it may slow your tech down by 1-2 vills.
as for combat, they do great damage and are dirt cheap, and you can make them midfight. build limit is crappy though
Keep in mind they get +25% hp from tier 2

Playing: Poker. Yay.
Retired: Age of Empires 3, Warcraft 3, Guild Wars, Dark Age of Camelot, Age of Empires 2.
Ceres629
Skirmisher
posted 11-29-05 07:34 AM EDT (US)     7 / 7       
If i see a courier de bois treasure I will build an extra dog and take it down. Its almost like spending 75 food for a dog and you get a free courier as a bonus.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames