Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Sniping Monitors
Bottom
Topic Subject:Sniping Monitors
Cy Marlayne
Skirmisher
posted 11-29-05 12:28 PM EDT (US)         
I love the maps like Sagueney, Patagonia, and sometimes even Great Plains where little ponds of water will appear between you and your enemy's base. As soon as I get to Industrial (I play mostly no rush games for X minutes because I like playing long games), I make a dock on one of the ponds, or I'll already have one if it's Sagueney. I'll build two Monitors and use my Hot Air Balloon card so I can pick out targets with the Monitors' bombard attack.

First I look for factories with my balloons, then I hit town centers and houses to slow enemy villager and military production. If an enemy fort is nearby and is pressuring my forward base (which is usually built close to or right by the pond), then I will bring it down after I level a factory.

Sniping with Monitors is one of the funnest things you can do in a long game. It really confuses the enemy at first, and once they figure it out, I have to guard my Monitors from mortars. Anyway, it's fun and it multiplies the Hot Air Balloons' effectiveness.

Another cool thing about Monitors is that you can use their special attack on units too. Two fully upgraded Monitors can kill about 10 units standing close together instantly, and still hurt others around it. If I see an army, I usually go for the artillery first.

[This message has been edited by Cy Marlayne (edited 11-29-2005 @ 12:31 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
DannyBoy17
Skirmisher
posted 11-29-05 12:40 PM EDT (US)     1 / 12       
And it laggs the shyte out of the game
xentelian
Skirmisher
posted 11-29-05 01:02 PM EDT (US)     2 / 12       
I thought Monitors were like Mortars in that they can only target ships and buildings.
Shrink
on the trender train
posted 11-29-05 01:05 PM EDT (US)     3 / 12       
The Monitor special attack is really quite fun. I've only really experienced it properly on a stalemate Carolina game, where, after my enemies eventually worked out that mortars can attack Monitors, I moved them back all the way to the black map (and thus out of range) and used the special attack on everything.

They eventually resigned, being unable to build any docks because my monitors outranged the mortars, and having their bases wiped out.

While I'm add it, I'll add that I love how nearly every ship can transport military units - very useful.

Gold Rust
Skirmisher
posted 11-29-05 02:04 PM EDT (US)     4 / 12       
Monitors are the most annoying units in the game. Nothing stupider than getting your factory blown to sh*t by a monitor on a map like great plains.
Cy Marlayne
Skirmisher
posted 11-29-05 02:30 PM EDT (US)     5 / 12       

Quote:

And it laggs the shyte out of the game

I have never experienced lag due to the use of Monitors.

Quote:

Monitors are the most annoying units in the game. Nothing stupider than getting your factory blown to sh*t by a monitor on a map like great plains.

That's why you should expand more and keep your LOS over the little ponds. Moreover, if you're going to build a factory, put it out of a Monitor's range. If you don't know the approximate range just by judging the mini-map, then you need to try using them yourself more often.

If you don't know how to defend from Monitors, try using artillery. Massed troops can sink Monitors too, it just takes a while.

If you're on a map that has large bodies of water, then line your coast with towers first (Monitors can only use their special every 45-60 seconds--I don't remember exactly). It takes two Monitor shots to take out a tower. Keep your towers up, then make your docks. Then train Frigates or Caravels. Use the special attacks of the Frigates and Caravels to sink his fleet. Make sure you have the hitpoints and attack upgrades or you'll just waste your resources.

Any unit can be annoying if you don't know how to deal with them properly.

Gold Rust
Skirmisher
posted 11-29-05 04:39 PM EDT (US)     6 / 12       
I know how to deal with them, and my problem isnt on naval maps (because I noramlly already have control of the sea) my problem is when some noob builds a monitor in a pond and makes me send over some mortars to take care of it. That tactic is definitely not going to win him the game it just annoys the heck out of me and prolongs his death.
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 11-29-05 04:45 PM EDT (US)     7 / 12       
nothign wrong with the strat. i just bring over some heavy cannons and destroy them

"such a kind fellow!" ~ ķįŋğ_Ćħŗĩš_ĬĬ

Furby killer should be crowned leader of AOE forum ~ [SW_GD]Teutonic

some_player
Skirmisher
posted 11-29-05 04:55 PM EDT (US)     8 / 12       
Which, if is done properly means that he will out-live you, which is the idea of the game - well done!

Monitors and any other naval battle maps etc.:

The maps are too small! No real opportunity to "out maneuver” the enemy and no need to devise a special “sea strategy”.
It takes much less micro skills to deal with naval battles, since you only have but so many ships. The maps with big bodies of water should also have sufficient landmasses to keep the bulk of your buildings out of range of the monitors.

Just got the X-pack!
Playing Classic Age3 again
fryBASS
Skirmisher
(id: LO12DS_Frylock)
posted 11-29-05 05:01 PM EDT (US)     9 / 12       
wow gold rust, the way you make it sound everyone should just sit there and not make anything just because they are gonna die :/

moniters can be very effective especially mixed in with some frigates. i have done this many times.

and if you complain about someone taking over a little lake and owning you, think back to AoK, when on maps like Highland or Rivers, water was only a small part. but if u owned the rivers/sea you could most likely win.

Check out my YouTube Page!
ESO - LO12DS_Fry
FriedPegasus
Skirmisher
posted 11-29-05 05:12 PM EDT (US)     10 / 12       
Yeah, it's terrible when the noob you're abusing does something to attack you instead of just curling up and dying. What fun is actually having to deal with stuff to pick up a win?
Cy Marlayne
Skirmisher
posted 11-29-05 05:20 PM EDT (US)     11 / 12       

Quote:

I know how to deal with them, and my problem isnt on naval maps (because I noramlly already have control of the sea) my problem is when some noob builds a monitor in a pond and makes me send over some mortars to take care of it. That tactic is definitely not going to win him the game it just annoys the heck out of me and prolongs his death.

Quote:

Yeah, it's terrible when the noob you're abusing does something to attack you instead of just curling up and dying. What fun is actually having to deal with stuff to pick up a win?

Define NOOB...

Has the word evolved over the years?

Why is using Monitors to bludgeon your enemy to death suddenly a NOOB thing to do?

Was Great Britain a NOOB when they bombarded the ports of China during the Opium Wars, when China had no weapons worthy of even trying to stop them? LOL

[This message has been edited by Cy Marlayne (edited 11-29-2005 @ 05:22 PM).]

Cirruis
Banned
posted 11-29-05 05:45 PM EDT (US)     12 / 12       
God your so annoying...every posts I've of yours I've seen so far is rude. Can't you just say "Good Strat/Idea/Job" or agree with someone?

Arg. Just frustrated right now arg.

And to stay on topic....
"I always thought the ponds were too small to build a dock and creat moniters. I'll try that sometime."

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames