You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.40 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » AOE III a dissapointment?
Bottom
Topic Subject:AOE III a dissapointment?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
TTK_GeneralNoob
Skirmisher
posted 11-30-05 11:07 PM EDT (US)         
Anyone else not like the game when they first played it?

For starters, no drop points is very unrealistic.

Next the Grapics are annoying, they may be good, but are they user friendly?

Anyone else not like it at first, but really like it now? I have played it at a friends place, and the first 30mins was horrible, could be that I am just used to AOM?

AuthorReplies:
tster123
Skirmisher
posted 11-30-05 11:12 PM EDT (US)     1 / 40       
yes it could be. if you are going to worry about the realisticness of dropoff points then maybe you should be worried that it doesn't require a nearby city to breed the people that you train at a barracks. or maybe you garrison 2 villagers (a man and a women) in a barracks and wait a while. then after 9 months of gameplay a baby pops out of the barracks. then you wait 17 years and the baby turns into a musketeer if it was a male baby or a berry picker if you got unlucky and it was a female baby.

anyway, having no dropoff points in no way makes this game too easy. there is PLENTY to pay attention to without trying to mess with drop-offs.

StonewallJ
Seraph Emeritus
(id: Conquistador34)
posted 11-30-05 11:15 PM EDT (US)     2 / 40       
No, I loved the game since the beginning. With drop points, game play>realism. Without them, IMO, makes the game better. But for AoK, it'd be different. They're just different games, and I feel ES made a good choice.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][] Stonewall J [][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
majpain
Skirmisher
posted 11-30-05 11:28 PM EDT (US)     3 / 40       
I like it but there are some issues that annoy me.But I think they screwed up on the multiplayer.
Musket Man
Skirmisher
posted 11-30-05 11:53 PM EDT (US)     4 / 40       
May I please ask what user friendly graphics are?

Musket Man: Inefficiently fighting crime with a musket since 1565!

(\**/)<-Crown your bunny!
(O.o )
(> < )
MAKKA_HS
Skirmisher
posted 12-01-05 00:20 AM EDT (US)     5 / 40       
User friendly graphics are 2d figures. To keep the user from getting confused they are labled Bad guys and u.
TTK_GeneralNoob
Skirmisher
posted 12-01-05 01:19 AM EDT (US)     6 / 40       

Quoted from MAKKA_HS :

User friendly graphics are 2d figures. To keep the user from getting confused they are labled Bad guys and u.

With your lack of intelligence Makka_Hs, I'm sure that that idea would work great for you.

I think they have tried to make it too complicated, it kinda looks like (thought not as bad, thank god) Empire earth graphics, that try too add too much detail, but in the end looks awful. (not including the great scenery).

Quoted from tster123 :

yes it could be. if you are going to worry about the realisticness of dropoff points then maybe you should be worried that it doesn't require a nearby city to breed the people that you train at a barracks. or maybe you garrison 2 villagers (a man and a women) in a barracks and wait a while. then after 9 months of gameplay a baby pops out of the barracks. then you wait 17 years and the baby turns into a musketeer if it was a male baby or a berry picker if you got unlucky and it was a female baby.

Shall we not get into extremeties, but I see where your getting at, IMO it is kinda weird without dropoints.

Quoted from Stonewall J 1863 :

No, I loved the game since the beginning. With drop points, game play>realism. Without them, IMO, makes the game better. But for AoK, it'd be different. They're just different games

Prolly why I don't like it. The traditional ES games feel has been wiped out, to be replaced by an entirely different game.

And anyway, I am guessing Stonewall J 1863 is the only here who has played the previous ES games.

[This message has been edited by TTK_GeneralNoob (edited 12-01-2005 @ 01:20 AM).]

schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 12-01-05 01:45 AM EDT (US)     7 / 40       
I hate the kind of people like generalnoob, everyone who likes aoe3 cant have played AOK. I prfer AOE3, I played AOK, AOE,AOM

"such a kind fellow!" ~ ķįŋğ_Ćħŗĩ_ĬĬ

Furby killer should be crowned leader of AOE forum ~ [SW_GD]Teutonic

Jeffrey
Skirmisher
(id: Bosefus zx)
posted 12-01-05 01:59 AM EDT (US)     8 / 40       
I think age of empires 3 is a good successor. I don't think in anyone's minds ESO can possibly beat AOK, but comparing it other RTS games on the market it is very very good.

No drop off points adds simplicity. ES wanted to add more complicated systems like home city, but if didn't make the basic game simpler in some aspects then it would just be to much micro for the average player to handle.

Quote:

I think they have tried to make it too complicated, it kinda looks like (thought not as bad, thank god) Empire earth graphics, that try too add too much detail, but in the end looks awful.

I find the graphics fine. What card are you running it on? They are flawless on my radeon x800 (of course that is a high end card). Try turning down the graphics settings, might improve gameplay for you.

I have played the entire age of empires line (not counting AOM) and they only criticism I have for AOE3 is the shitty campaings. I love the concept of historical campaigns, but I am sorry I would rather command george washington's army, or do swamp raids with francias marion, or fight the mexican american war. This entire circle of ossus bullshit and the morgan family just pisses me off. I got through the first few levels realized that there was no history and cheated my way just to learn the story. ES has let me down with the campaigns, but everything else is amazing.

Of course ES has left me open to make a North Carolina set of campaigns with the battle of Kings Mountain and Guilford Courthouse. Of course I have no talent as a scenario designer.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTK_GeneralNoob
Skirmisher
posted 12-01-05 03:17 AM EDT (US)     9 / 40       

Quoted from uschildpad:

I hate the kind of people like generalnoob, everyone who likes aoe3 cant have played AOK. I prfer AOE3, I played AOK, AOE,AOM

Your saying you hate people like me because?? Structured criticism is welcome, saying you hate someone for no reason, no offense, is not exactly a display of intelligence.

Than you say, everyone that likes AOE 3 can't have played AOK.

It is dead obvious you have not read the post properly. I will be forgiving if english is not your first language. I simply stated the fact that Stonewall J 1863 was probably the only one who had played the previous ES games, and he stated it was a different game altogether, and I agreed with this.

I do not remember saying, if you have not played the previous ES games, go away, or I don't want your opinion.

BTW, thanks Stonewall J, 1863 Jeffrey, tster123, majpain and MusketMan and it is nice to see there are some educated people around here.

I will try the grahpics thing the next time I go over my friends house. ^_^

(Thanks DeathAndPain the user also).

[This message has been edited by TTK_GeneralNoob (edited 12-01-2005 @ 03:19 AM).]

Hikari
Skirmisher
(id: echowinds)
posted 12-01-05 03:20 AM EDT (US)     10 / 40       
Keep the flaming down, thank you.

tster123
Skirmisher
posted 12-01-05 07:19 AM EDT (US)     11 / 40       
I've played:

AOE
AOE:RR
AOE:AOK
AOK:TC
AOM
AOE III

it's weird not having drop offs but after you get used to it it is nice not having to worry about it with SO MUCH else going on. seriously this game is harder to play than AOK because IMO it is much more complex and faster paced.

Ceres629
Skirmisher
posted 12-01-05 07:44 AM EDT (US)     12 / 40       
I've played AoK and AoM, I prefer AoE3. No drop of points is good, the graphics are great, if you think they suck get a better pc.
grizzy222
Skirmisher
posted 12-01-05 09:18 AM EDT (US)     13 / 40       
AOC3 is a good game, imo its far from a great game, but maybe the next patch will address the issues i have with it. I've played AOC3 for about a week and then went back to AOM. But i'm not giving up on AOC3, after all, i bought the game lol!
arnitald
Skirmisher
posted 12-01-05 09:36 AM EDT (US)     14 / 40       
So far this game has been the best for me. And I have played all. I am positively surprised by this game and I can now understand why they did not include stuff like flanking damage for example. Its a perfect melange of the stuff I liked in AOM and the stuff I liked in AOK.

Locking gates? Useless! Formations? If they think they wouldnt work, I believe them. I dont see a point to have formations in this type of game myself anyway.

There is stuff I don't like or I miss but overall I like the game a lot. (MP is great)

[This message has been edited by arnitald (edited 12-01-2005 @ 09:40 AM).]

MNBob
Skirmisher
posted 12-01-05 10:01 AM EDT (US)     15 / 40       
I played AoK and AoC a lot. AoK was extremely flawed and only a few civs were viable. AoC was a huge improvement. While I enjoy AoE3, I would have also been happy with a game that felt more like an upgrade to AoC. But everyone has their own opinions about what they liked or disliked. Personally, I couldn't stand the fact that buildings in AoK were siege weapons that could attack other buildings. It wouldn't have been as bad if buildings only fired at military units and villagers that were attacking them (castle and tower spamming would have been much less effective). But I'm sure others would think my opinion is stupid.

I purchased AoM but it just never captured my attention the way AoK/AoC did. I may not have given it enough time but it went on the shelf pretty quickly. I tend to devote lots of (my limited gaming) time to only a single game or two and played more BF1942 instead.

Although AoE3 definitely doesn't feel like AoK, I decided to give it more of a chance than I did with AoM and I enjoy it. I like not having drop off points. It speeds up the early game and results in better military action. I also could care less about 3d graphics in a RTS game. You don't have time to zoom in and admire the pretty graphics so what's the point?

identitat soldat
Skirmisher
posted 12-01-05 10:15 AM EDT (US)     16 / 40       
Forgive me for being a total n00b; I only played a little of AoK and a ton of RoN. Soon as my new comp gets here I'll be playing AoE3. Wtf are drop off points.

And oh yeah, just to brag a little, I just ordered a 2050 dollar gaming pc with a 7800 gtx so I'm sure I won't be having any "grafical issues."

MNBob
Skirmisher
posted 12-01-05 11:08 AM EDT (US)     17 / 40       
In AoK, drop off points were things like the Lumber Camp and Mills where your villagers had to deposit the resources that they collected.

In AoE3, resources collected by settlers go straight into your inventory without having to be carried to a drop off point. In other words, you just send settlers to cut trees or collect gold and you don't have to build any buildings to collect them in.

AMSEC
Skirmisher
posted 12-01-05 11:14 AM EDT (US)     18 / 40       
My only dissapointment with the game is natives cannot fight for themselves.

They are basically mercenaries to euro warmongers.

Far more natives died fighting for themselves against european expansion, than died fighting for europeans.

But then again I'm 1/2 Cherokee, so I might be biased. Or the game designers are...

some_player
Skirmisher
posted 12-01-05 11:29 AM EDT (US)     19 / 40       
Played the demo - knew what to expect.

Must have liked it, since I bought the game.

Was caught completely off guard with the bad job in ESO.

Did I rant about lost connection issue before?

@AMSEC
Hmm... Hostile Natives would be a cool option for an add on.

Smiling as I imagine an Ottoman rush party being terminated by a bunch of native braves.

Just got the X-pack!
Playing Classic Age3 again

[This message has been edited by some_player (edited 12-01-2005 @ 11:35 AM).]

Joeking14
Skirmisher
posted 12-01-05 11:48 AM EDT (US)     20 / 40       
Hostile natives would be hard to add after all they did ask other natives want they thought about it.

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )This is bunny. Copy bunny into your siginature to help him on his way to world domination!
_.+._
(^\/^\/^)
\@*@*@/
{_____}
fhertlein
Skirmisher
posted 12-01-05 12:01 PM EDT (US)     21 / 40       
I liked from the beginning, and it has only grown on me, since then.

So much stuff happening from the beginning, that I do not miss drop-off points. By changing the basic structure of the economy, ES created a game where decisions about settler placement is more important than building another lumber camp closer to the trees.

If I let my settlers range too far from home, I probably will lose them to an enemy patrol. Do I keep hunting or move to Mills? Keep mining or move to plantations? Build a Livestock pen or use the wood for something else?

Another change from the "traditional" Age games, is a player must build some form of army units as soon as they hit
Age 2, in order to fight off the rusher.

I think the fans that expected another AOM are more disappointed, compared with the fans that like change.

Regarding the graphics, I don't know what to say, but compared to EE, AOEIII graphics are great. Perhaps it is your system, but most people do not spend their time zoomed in.

"The devil and the priest can't exist if one goes away, its just like the battle of the sun and moon, night and day. The force of the devil is what we are told to fear. Watch out for religion when he gets too near."
"Living in a world of fantasy, I can hide behind what's real."
"Behind a smile, there's danger and a promise to be told, you'll never get old. Life's fantasy, to be locked away and still to think you're free! So live for today, tomorrow never comes. Die young."
PaRaSiTe X92
Skirmisher
posted 12-01-05 12:17 PM EDT (US)     22 / 40       
Nah, I found it awesome from the start!
lemuri
Skirmisher
posted 12-01-05 12:51 PM EDT (US)     23 / 40       
AOEIII rox, and is extremely addictive. Some annoying things with the rating system (lack) and scenario editor mebbe, but still well worth the money and then some, imo

"War does not determine who is right, only who is left" -- B Russell
I Love Bananas
Skirmisher
posted 12-01-05 01:15 PM EDT (US)     24 / 40       
AoE3 is a great game, and the graphics are good, the HC makes the game a lot more fun to play, the Natives are really cool, the ships are a lot more realistic because of their size, the repairing by the building itself makes your villagers safer, and they can gather while you repair, and no drop-off sites makes the game a lot more exciting.

And yeah, it is wrong to say that if anyone can't get the graphics right, they must buy a new PC. Not everybody has got mooney to it, you know.

And finally, it's a lot more like AoM than for an example AoK. You can choose between two bonuses when you are advancing in ages, like you could choose between two different gods in AoM. The Heroes may be rescued, the HC may be compared with god powers, the whole system of the game (like RMs, bars, texture and proto files) is like AoM, and the campaign has the same build-up: Three parts in one campaign, not a lot of different. Also the editor is copied. Don't say that AoE3 is totally new, because it's a whole lot like AoM.

Sweet baby maizes!
vbscript2
Skirmisher
posted 12-01-05 01:30 PM EDT (US)     25 / 40       
general noob: schildpad was making fun of you. He was using a literary device known as sarcasm. Most everyone here has played the previous age games, which is what he was implying with his sarcasm. Personally, I've played:
AoE
AoE:RoR
AoK
AoK:TC
AoM
AoE3

No drop-off points is nice, imo. It's actually more realistic, if you use probablistic models. See, the game is supposed to take place over long periods of time, so, realistically, the gatherer would go to the drop-off every few game miliseconds. However, they realistically spend more time at the gathering point, so that is the most probable place to find them. Think of it as them going to the drop-off points faster than your eye is capable of percieving, which given the time lapse, would be realistic. Think of it as they only appear to not be moving from the gather point b/c they're spending most of their time there. - lol

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames