You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.37 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Save me from the french
Bottom
Topic Subject:Save me from the french
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Doggiedoodle
Skirmisher
posted 12-09-05 01:00 AM EDT (US)         
Normally I play portugal, but I decided I wanted to actually be able to play a bit more competitively and started playing france. I now have a distinct problem. I don't want to go back to portugal(even though the bonus is more in line with the way i would like to play) because the french economy is so much superior. The french have settlers that take 16% longer to build but gather 25% faster. For every 25 coureurs made a normal civ gets 29 villagers, but in the time those 29 gather 100 food the 25 coureurs gather 107.76 food. That's like giving your opponent a 7.5% handicap and when you factor in the villager shipments and 7 starting coureurs its even more for the early game. Add the best selection of military units in the game coupled with practical unraidability and you have a civ that is blatantly OP.

So please, convince me to stop playing these guys, otherwise I'm going to be in real trouble when they get their well deserved nerf.

EDIT:
I understand the tone is a bit silly, however, that does not change the numbers.

[This message has been edited by Doggiedoodle (edited 12-09-2005 @ 01:01 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Mokon
Skirmisher
posted 12-09-05 01:01 AM EDT (US)     1 / 37       
no just continue to play france, they r nice

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • simontyler9
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-09-05 01:12 AM EDT (US)     2 / 37       
    I'm a french player and I think they are great with their infamous Crussiars and Voltiguers.

I don't quite understand your plee though, why do you want to stop playing French when you say they have and auto 7.5% handicap in their honour?

My Heroes:
    Kirk Hammet
    Andrew Stockdale
    Dave Grohl
    Jimmy Page
    Shaw DA MAN
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-09-05 01:19 AM EDT (US)     3 / 37       
    French rock

It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache
    schildpad
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-09-05 01:43 AM EDT (US)     4 / 37       
    they have the best cav, the best economy, and they are unraidable, and they like to raid me with cav

they should just delete them :P

"such a kind fellow!" ~ ķįŋğ_Ćħŗĩ_ĬĬ

Furby killer should be crowned leader of AOE forum ~ [SW_GD]Teutonic

simontyler9
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-09-05 01:48 AM EDT (US)     5 / 37       
    If can't beat them...be them

But seriously don't delete them they are a good civ and a challenge when your ready for it.

Maybe just make it that they can't get instant cav and that their cav aint THAT strong but still the strongest.

My Heroes:
    Kirk Hammet
    Andrew Stockdale
    Dave Grohl
    Jimmy Page
    ANZAC_FluffyThing
    Skirmisher
    (id: Aus_Fuzzy)
    posted 12-09-05 01:50 AM EDT (US)     6 / 37       
    I think the french should have fry farms

mmmm... french fries.......

BACK ON TOPIC

the french really are quite OP, I agree, but I don't seem to be able to use them effectively. OH WAIT, I REMEMBER, I CAN'T BUILD VILLIES BECAUSE I SUCK, AND FORGET, AND I CAN'T MULTITASK FOR NUTS! That is why I play ottoman!

contrary to popular belief, I am not a Fluffy Thing.
    schildpad
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-09-05 02:15 AM EDT (US)     7 / 37       
    and otto is good, i only have to make skirms to counter them.

@simontyler instant cav isnt the problem
    and you are allready thinking like the french. if you cant beat terrorists join them, oh going offtopic again :P

simontyler9
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-09-05 03:14 AM EDT (US)     8 / 37       
    Yes but you gotta admit instant cav would own alot of unready people.

My Heroes:
    Kirk Hammet
    Andrew Stockdale
    Dave Grohl
    Jimmy Page
    schildpad
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-09-05 04:23 AM EDT (US)     9 / 37       
    same for other civs, it is not the problem

gunner1
    Scenario Expert
    posted 12-09-05 04:45 AM EDT (US)     10 / 37       
    i don't no much about the history of french fries. but here in britian we call them chips and there thicker than fench fries. that time they were not invented.

on topic

i hate the way the french get a royal guard on crussarairrs to geramines there to good especialy when they team up with voitegers. i'm trying to get away from french and otto and be another civ but it is a hard change.

[This message has been edited by gunner1 (edited 12-09-2005 @ 04:48 AM).]

schildpad
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-09-05 05:57 AM EDT (US)     11 / 37       
    the royal guard isnt the problem, the problem is:
    you cant raid them
    outbooming them is quite close to impossible

and the cuirassier is very good, but that isnt the largest problem. The largest problem is point 1 and 2

CK the Fat
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-09-05 08:42 AM EDT (US)     12 / 37       
    80 villager limit! Lategame, the other civs with 100 villagers can be just as strong.
    BloTo
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-09-05 09:23 AM EDT (US)     13 / 37       
    why do some civs (like russians) only get one factory, and the suckiest cards, not to mention being pretty all roundly sucky. and other (like french) have the best eco, the best units and are virtualy unraidable, so u cant stop them booming, and i havnt even mentioned there cards yet! 2 forts, early skirms, one of the civs with 2 factorys... not to mention all there unit and eco upgrade cards, the only thing they really fail (cardwise) on is mercs, and who needs mercs when u got a cavalry unit with 1000+ hp and 60 hand/seige attack!

FRENCH NEED A BIG FAT NERF

p.s. i actually play as french, so im not biased, but i want to be able to play other civs without getting owned by them. for starters, i think ALL civs should have the 2 factory option, when the enemy has 2 factorys with mass production and that engineers card (i think thats what its called) spain, russia etc dont have a chance! heavy cannons chew through buildings like butter, and have huge splash dmg, own any inf in seconds.

Eso: scuzz

[This message has been edited by BloTo (edited 12-09-2005 @ 09:27 AM).]

fhertlein
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-09-05 09:59 AM EDT (US)     14 / 37       
    Maybe I should try the french.

"The devil and the priest can't exist if one goes away, its just like the battle of the sun and moon, night and day. The force of the devil is what we are told to fear. Watch out for religion when he gets too near."
    "Living in a world of fantasy, I can hide behind what's real."
    "Behind a smile, there's danger and a promise to be told, you'll never get old. Life's fantasy, to be locked away and still to think you're free! So live for today, tomorrow never comes. Die young."
    DannyBoy17
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-09-05 10:13 AM EDT (US)     15 / 37       
    Reason: Anyone can win with the French :P I like the challenge of being the Dutch, snd lately Ive toying with the Russians. Problem with the Russians is that I think its verrrry hard to get a hang of how they work.

I guess Im an underdog type of person tho Go Portugal!

dupsky
    Banned
    posted 12-09-05 10:32 AM EDT (US)     16 / 37       
    i first started with french, didnt know too much about them, then went with germany but germans are not my style of play. the reasoning was that if you cant beat off the rush ,rush yourself untill i found out that rushing just blows (win or loose). i then went with portugal and liked them for a while, but when my army was just too inferior i decided to go back and give french a try again.

now i got the hang of french somewhat and actually love playing with them. if i do try another civ. (not too likely unless a huge nerf is implemented) it will be england because they are just so strong lategame.

Olarad
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-09-05 10:45 AM EDT (US)     17 / 37       
    @ Bloto

You nailed it man. I play as the Russians. When I play against the French the best I can do is prolong the inevitable.

1st problem: early skirms. The best I can do against these is grenadiers. Skirms eat muskets and strelets for breakfast.

2nd problem: Goons and Courrasairs. Well muskets in melee do ok against these

3rd problem: 2 factories (are you f@#%ing kidding me how could ES not see the massive OP) Well goons skirms and twice the cannons I have, with a superior eco(damn villies won't die!!)
    equals game over everytime

IMO Russia should have more of an economic bonus than the French. Russia's whole strategy is to win with superiour numbers because there units suck. How can they do this if everyones eco is the same or better?

Chipmunkrage
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-09-05 11:47 AM EDT (US)     18 / 37       
    The french's best advantage is the coureur. As said before 16% longer build time but 20+ percent gather and speed, and the obvious bonus that they take forever to kill (settlers + blunderbuss + overcoat + coureur = iron villy) makes them increasinly daunting.

IMO, a french nerf should only change the coureur's cost to maybe 30 - 50 percent more food, as they are relitively cheap for their worth compared to other civ's settlers.

[This message has been edited by Chipmunkrage (edited 12-09-2005 @ 11:49 AM).]

Diceclock
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-09-05 11:49 AM EDT (US)     19 / 37       
    As a Dutch player, I actually am more successful vs. French than any other Civ. Since all the games I play vs. French, its a Calvary onslaught, I adjust my tactics accordingly.

I make almost no skirms, and instead focus on Pikemen, and Halbadiers out of my barracks. I also try to get my Stables up ASAP, or take the fluyt card as a floating barracks. Fluyts are like mobile Fortress's for troop creation, very flexible unit. If they actually do throw skirmishers or other infantry at me, the Pikes and Dragoons/Hussars/Ruyters are good enough.

Ruyters actually kill a lot of Currasiers, even poorly micro'd. They get some crazy melee attack bonus vs. Calvary, like 6x. (I've only read it, yet to confirm). If you have 2-3 Ruyters for every 1 Currasiar he has, it's about an even fight.

The real key is to use super anti-calvary Mercs. As a Dutchy, I spam Rutyers defensively, and concentrate on Bank creation. The "Dutch Church" card is invaluable here. It gives access to 2 more banks and some Mercs. So I save my gold, and order...

Swiss Pikemen
    Waatlengers (sp?)
    Hackapells

...and of course pad them with an ass load of Ruyters. Those Swiss Pikemen are the absolute best at killing Currasairs that I've seen, taking them down like 2 currasiars for every 1 death they suffer. It's not a slaugther, but its much more heavy losses than the Frenchy is expecting.

Its also best to time your Calvary battle, with a Skirmisher on Villager raid on the other side of the map. Those French vils are tough, but no so much when they're chopping trees instead of shooting back.

MNBob
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-09-05 11:54 AM EDT (US)     20 / 37       

Quote:

The french's best advantage is the coureur. As said before 16% longer build time but 20+ percent gather and speed, and the obvious bonus that they take forever to kill (settlers + blunderbuss + overcoat + coureur = iron villy) makes them increasinly daunting.

One thing I hardly ever see mentioned is that Coureur Des Bois have 40% RANGE resistance whereas Settlers are 20% HAND resistant. If you plan to attack French settlers use cavalry or put your ranged infantry into melee mode.

[This message has been edited by MNBob (edited 12-09-2005 @ 11:55 AM).]

tster123
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-09-05 12:33 PM EDT (US)     21 / 37       

Quote:

Those Swiss Pikemen are the absolute best at killing Currasairs that I've seen, taking them down like 2 currasiars for every 1 death they suffer.

that's nothing compared to black riders. As germans I just played a game with a frenchie would was winning but he kept building curraissers so I ships in black riders and I build cav archer natives. microing my black riders like hell I baited, bumped and ran those heavy horses. I killed at least 10 without a single loss.

gunner1
    Scenario Expert
    posted 12-09-05 05:12 PM EDT (US)     22 / 37       
    war wagons cost the same as crussarairs and pwn them. i played against french and all you have to do is put around 20 melle units at the front line and your ranged anti cav behind. i had 20 war wagons behind 20 ulahs and took out 30 crussariars losing no war wagons.
    RiderOfEternity
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-09-05 05:15 PM EDT (US)     23 / 37       
    Stop playing french They kill me

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
    BloTo
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-09-05 07:56 PM EDT (US)     24 / 37       
    ok, time to clear up a myth. war wagon do NOT own cuir's.

1) they cost loads
    2) in-practical and slow
    3) cuir splash dmg
    4) lots of pop, slow build time etc etc

they are simple not effective. ON PAPER they might be, but in practice... cuirs will win 1:1 with no backup (they will loose loads but hey) and with backup (usualy votiguers or heavy cannon/field guns) WW's will not stand a chance.

p.s. im starting to like russia, i still think they need some really good cards.

Eso: scuzz

[This message has been edited by BloTo (edited 12-09-2005 @ 07:57 PM).]

Little_Wing
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-09-05 08:12 PM EDT (US)     25 / 37       
    War wagons do kill cuirassiers. They are murder against cav, even cuirassiers can't face them.

Little_Wing

Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
    Time held me green and dying
    Though I sang in my chains like the sea.
    « Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames