Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.5 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » When to quit
Bottom
Topic Subject:When to quit
fersman4
Skirmisher
posted 12-10-05 03:28 AM EDT (US)         
Sorry if this has been previously posted. I did do a search first and found nothing.

Many people complain of playing a 2v2 or 3v3 game where an ally quits when things start to get too hot. A game can quickly swing in the opposite direction, but it is generally the case that once the scales are tipped, it's difficult to tip in the other direction.

So when is it appropriate to quit? When you think it would be too hard to get the win? When you start to become a burden to your teammates (e.g. they have to keep sending all their military to protect your base and they can't make any forward or offensive progress)? When you literally have nothing left? When the best player among your team quits?

I haven't played online yet, but I do want to be a good ESO2 citizen. Your feedback is appreciated.

My favorite sayings:
  • It takes 42 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any muscles to sit there with a dumb look on your face. -- Unknown
  • In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular. -- Laurence J. Peter
  • AuthorReplies:
    alpine
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-10-05 05:54 AM EDT (US)     1 / 5       
    You don't quit 5 minutes into the game.

You don't quit just because you were raided and you lost a few villies.

You don't quit because your enemy called you a noob.

You don't quit because your team is behind and struggling. There's always a chance your team will turn it around. You just need to keep plugging away.

You don't keep one villie alive to hide in some trees just to annoy your enemies just because you lost. If you city has been razed and your team doesn't have much chance to win...then you say GG and quit.

ESO Name: Commodus
    Coming soon to a theater near you...

[This message has been edited by alpine (edited 12-10-2005 @ 05:55 AM).]

Mokon
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-10-05 07:40 AM EDT (US)     2 / 5       
    quit when there is no chance for u to win which is alot later than most might think

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • fhertlein
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-10-05 09:20 AM EDT (US)     3 / 5       
    I quit when my resource stockpiles are depleted, and the chance of rebuilding is improbable.

But I do this when my area has two enemy armies knocking my buildings down, and my ally has no chance of helping.

As alpine said, you don't quit just because a couple of things happen.

At some point, you just need to cut your loses, and not waste your or the other players' time.

"The devil and the priest can't exist if one goes away, its just like the battle of the sun and moon, night and day. The force of the devil is what we are told to fear. Watch out for religion when he gets too near."
    "Living in a world of fantasy, I can hide behind what's real."
    "Behind a smile, there's danger and a promise to be told, you'll never get old. Life's fantasy, to be locked away and still to think you're free! So live for today, tomorrow never comes. Die young."
    Zarggy
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-10-05 11:17 AM EDT (US)     4 / 5       
    I had a guy quit on me tonight in a 1v1 and looking at the end result, their wasnt too much difference. I had raided his settlers heavily, but to do so had added little to my base. He just assumed that I was in far better shape even tho I wasnt. Although I was doing slightly better, I'm not the best late game player so it could have gone either way.

I have also found myself quitting only to realize that my opponent wasn't dominating me as I had suspected.

I think its important to hang in as long as possible. Even if its just to tribute some extra resources to an ally. Or slow down an enemy advance.

Culverin
    Skirmisher
    (id: Robert_Squared)
    posted 12-10-05 12:24 PM EDT (US)     5 / 5       
    Plus, the longer you hang around and try to fight back, the more XP you get =D

Just call me Robert.
    My Massgate
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames