You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.18 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » The power of Minutemen...
Bottom
Topic Subject:The power of Minutemen...
Philbo1
Skirmisher
posted 12-21-05 06:40 PM EDT (US)         
I have noticed that the MInutemen can be very useful in super-early raiding during my games. Having 6 Minutemen (The exact number of them need to kill a regular unuograded villager) within 1 minute of the game means that you can kill one of their villager at around 1:30! I can usually manage two by simply firing the volley and running like hell, thus avoiding the enemy even knowing how I did that. The true beauty of this is that no one and I mena no one even will suspect this. If I have 100 gold from crates at the beginning I will always put my villagers on mining and murder one or two of their vills early... It then gives you an immediate economic advantage, especially if you kill three or even four gives you such a huge eco advantage that you pretty much already have the win. Even if you only kill one of their villagers but force them to spend time early in the game garrisoning or killing your minutemen still gives you an eco advantage. I use them virtually every game if it is not against a frenchman because even if tehy try to train Minutemen too then you can just raid wherever theier minutemen aren't. If you play French don't use this OP strat, as you already simply take advantage of the OPness of the French so don't.

P1

The RoL forum colors make me sooo hungry.
-Unit Costs for 5-Philbo1-Explorer Micro-
B_E looks like a demented evil smiley.-Botolf

Stonewall Pwns
AuthorReplies:
souporman
Skirmisher
posted 12-21-05 06:47 PM EDT (US)     1 / 18       
Interesting idea, but I think you'd pretty much HAVE to kill two vills to make it successful, right? You're spending 150F and 150G which, depending on the civ, will make it tricky to keep up constant vill production. Plus if you only kill one of his vills he's lost 100F while you've lost 150 plus the gold.

I wonder which civs this would be most effective with? Which were you using? Ottoman seems like the first choice, as you'll not be losing any vill production time. Dutch seems like it'd be REALLY hard to do it with, as you probably won't have ALL your vills on Gold (or if you do, then you'll age slooooow). How about French? Would the increased speed of the Courers make up for the extra food it costs to make a vill coupled with the 150F/150G for MM?

Stophon4
Skirmisher
posted 12-21-05 06:55 PM EDT (US)     2 / 18       
Mokon do one of your "Are you sure you want to resign" images.

It actually sounds ok, I'll have to try it before I judge it though.

"Dutch are OP!"
"Iriquois are OP!"
"Stophon is OP!"

tEk Clan #1 US Clan
FriedPegasus
Skirmisher
posted 12-21-05 07:00 PM EDT (US)     3 / 18       
Souporman, the effect is more than just the cost of the units. The attacker gives himself a relatively better economy as soon as he kills one villager. Also, TCs make minuteman and villagers at the same time, so no lost production.

The problem is that an alert player can spot the minuteman and kill all 6 without losing a single villie, thus sending 300 resources straight down the drain.

raaman
posted 12-21-05 07:17 PM EDT (US)     4 / 18       
Not to use vs French villies

;zlskehrt;oaweifalkdjfa;io3
Ceres629
Skirmisher
posted 12-21-05 07:21 PM EDT (US)     5 / 18       
This suggestion was made a few weeks ago. Someone also suggested using them to kill treasure guardians. After testing them myself at that time, I can safely say.

*sorry but I had to steal your image mokon *

raaman
posted 12-21-05 07:28 PM EDT (US)     6 / 18       
OK! If Ceres629 says it than it is so!

;zlskehrt;oaweifalkdjfa;io3
Philbo1
Skirmisher
posted 12-21-05 09:20 PM EDT (US)     7 / 18       
ACtually I was doing it with Portoguese. And Ceres, try it in a quicksearch map that ISN'T againhst a French player. It works *almost* every time.

Stonewall Pwns
Mokon
Skirmisher
posted 12-21-05 09:30 PM EDT (US)     8 / 18       

Quote:

It actually sounds ok, I'll have to try it before I judge it though.

Plz dont... with a little villie micro ur be laughing all the way to the bank

Quote:

*sorry but I had to steal your image mokon *

Thats fine as long as u pay the $5000 lisencing fee. Oh wait i alrdy stole that from ES, nvm

Quote:

ACtually I was doing it with Portoguese. And Ceres, try it in a quicksearch map that ISN'T againhst a French player. It works *almost* every time.

Vs a good player it wont work in the least

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • [This message has been edited by Mokon (edited 12-21-2005 @ 09:31 PM).]

Philbo1
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-21-05 09:34 PM EDT (US)     9 / 18       
    It works on 70-80% of non French Quicksearch players and 90% of regular "Custom Game" players. And Mokon, for Gods sake, LEARN HOW TO SPELL AND USE THE SHIFT KEY! And for future reference, , , , or any smiley of any kind is NOT a puntuation mark! The puntuation marks are: !.? GET THAT THROUGH YOUR HEAD!

Stonewall Pwns
    Mokon
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-21-05 10:00 PM EDT (US)     10 / 18       

Quote:

It works on 70-80% of non French Quicksearch players and 90% of regular "Custom Game" players

It works on that % of noobs perhaps, but play anyone of any reasonable skill and it wont even work in the least...

Also look at my uber game...
    http://www.agecommunity.com/stats/GameStats.aspx?loc=en-US&GameID=eda9a815-d055-0c44-a10c-d9c01619cffc&md=ZS_Custom

• Philbo1
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-21-05 11:48 PM EDT (US)     11 / 18       
    Mokon try actually testing it out instead of makinmg unfounded arguements. And P.S. That link doesn't work.

Stonewall Pwns
    Mokon
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-21-05 11:53 PM EDT (US)     12 / 18       
    I had it happen to me a few times... i didnt loose a single villager... all they lost where 300 res... i do know what im talking about if u were wondering

• DynamiteNapolean
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-22-05 02:08 AM EDT (US)     13 / 18       
    An interesting theory, but travel time could really take it out of your minutemen.
    Philbo1
    Skirmisher
    posted 01-02-06 10:06 PM EDT (US)     14 / 18       
    NO Mokon, try actually USING IT! Instead of deflecting it. virtually no one expects it. It works on people who don't play the OP civs Mokon to win and bash noobs Mokon again.

Stonewall Pwns
    Insane Sheep
    Skirmisher
    posted 01-02-06 10:28 PM EDT (US)     15 / 18       

Quote:

or any smiley of any kind is NOT a puntuation mark!

That's really funny Philbo

I am laughing way to hard at that...

But really, it does sound like something a newb would fall for. Well actually, no, newbs wouldn't fall for it, they'd just kind keep playing like nothing happened. It would be interesting to see it though. If indeed Minutemen can actually kill a villager in one volley, even if you are prepared for it, you'd have to kill each one before they could fire. Which may or may not be possible depending on the size of the map.

"I found no one ripe for many of my thoughts; the case of 'Zarathustra' proves that one can speak with the
    utmost clearness, and yet not be heard by any one." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
    "The fearless are merely fearless. People who act in spite of their fear are truly brave."
    Oprichniks are the best units in AoE3. Why? It's elementary, they're Horse-riding Russian Pirates, nothing beats Horse-riding Russian Pirates.
    The Bob
    Skirmisher
    posted 01-02-06 11:56 PM EDT (US)     16 / 18       
    its a waste of $ to do this
    schildpad
    Skirmisher
    posted 01-03-06 04:17 AM EDT (US)     17 / 18       
    few days ago they tried that one me, twice, different games.

First time my settlers killed them, one settler was almost dead, but not entirely, second time they started playign with my explorer, all minutemen dead.

"such a kind fellow!" ~ ķįŋğ_Ćħŗĩ_ĬĬ

Furby killer should be crowned leader of AOE forum ~ [SW_GD]Teutonic

achilleas
    Skirmisher
    posted 01-03-06 04:28 AM EDT (US)     18 / 18       
    i read the strat in another forum,

so yep, it will work in quicksearch games where all noobs go and noobkillers like me HAHAHA.

But if he is such a noob he will sooner or later anyway.

You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames