You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.9 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Yes another OP and general comment thread
Bottom
Topic Subject:Yes another OP and general comment thread
Growth Theory
Skirmisher
posted 01-13-06 01:19 PM EDT (US)         
I just signed up for the forums, so I figure it's my duty to post at least something after getting a free ride.

I was a AOK player and have now I seem to be addicted to this one. I mean no offense to the great minds on these forums, but everyone seems to be running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Every other post is someone freaking out about something being overpowered.

When I saw Q win the ladder tourny, I'll admit I was worried about the power of his German merc rush, so I looked for threads about stopping the strat or discussing it's strengths and weaknesses.

Instead people just yell OP, that the game designers messed up and it cannot be beaten. After a while the discussion starts and people begin looking at the strat. Many times counters are found when people stop yelling 'OP' and start thinking.

You remember the frenzy about the french? I saw a post today in which someone thought they weren't even in the top 3 civs at higher levels.

Native rush unstopable? It can be countered, and not only that it's easy to see coming. It is mean though.

For the old timers remember the tower rush in AOK?

As a dutch player getting POUNDED by FFs, I understand people's concern about unequal balance. But we should all be slower to blame the loss on the game designers and quicker thinking, testing, and trying counters.

Also a comment on the Turks, watch out with nurfing them.

The Abus(e) guns are really only OPered in the 2nd age IMHO. You pros know better than I, but once the game gets to the 3rd age, I can't remember when I lost to otto. The civ already has the BIG drawbacks, if you slow down their rush too much then they are in a world of hurt.

Be slow to declare OP, be slower to nerf.
(except those damn FFs, they are KILLING me)

AuthorReplies:
Ceres629
Skirmisher
posted 01-13-06 01:26 PM EDT (US)     1 / 9       
a part of me wants 1.04 to hurry so these OP threads dissapear. ES knows there are balance issues, ES has said they are looking at them and it is almost certain french and ottos are going to be nerfed in 1.04.
TheUnknown3dfx
Skirmisher
posted 01-13-06 01:38 PM EDT (US)     2 / 9       
I do remember those tower freaks! Specially with Turks, almost unstopable, but you have mongols and build 20-40 rams, with some onagers and soem Mandugai to protect them, and see them take towers out... beautifull!

Well, they could make the Abuses weaker which ever wahy they please and then in the next age have a card or an upgrade more to get them back to normal power, if that is an issue...

CK the Fat
Skirmisher
posted 01-13-06 01:55 PM EDT (US)     3 / 9       
Abus guns would be a world easier if the janissaries weren't also so strong against cavalry.

"Republicans who did not play the patronage game were ridiculed as the Mugwumps for sitting on the fence--their "mugs" on one side of the fence and "wumps" on the other. Historians generally consider this era a low point in American politics."--United States History by John J. Newman and John M. Schmalbach
ES_DeathShrimp
VIP
posted 01-13-06 05:49 PM EDT (US)     4 / 9       
Growth Theory makes a lot of sense.

We do think there are some legit balance problems in the game (though as I've pointed out before, pretty minor compared to AOK and AOM).

The risk comes when imbalance is invoked too often. Players stop trying to beat winning strategies, even if they are possible to beat. Or we nerf a civ, unit or strategy that was already on the downslide and upset a lot of people who had invested time in those Home Cities.

For what it's worth, "nerf" to a lot of people means "make hopelessly weak" not "tone down to become balanced again." Usually a nerf is considered a bad thing or a mistake, not something you're looking forward to.

WH_demoneyekyo
Skirmisher
posted 01-13-06 05:55 PM EDT (US)     5 / 9       

Quote:

As a dutch player getting POUNDED by FFs

hmmm...........maybe is time me or someone upload _daut_ holy dutch FF rytuer spamming record. lol

Stop spamming! No one care about ur damn post count!
SwiftAero
Skirmisher
posted 01-13-06 07:31 PM EDT (US)     6 / 9       
I agree completely. There are too many people who cry OP just because they got outplayed. (You've inspired me to create a new post.)
Doggiedoodle
Skirmisher
posted 01-13-06 07:34 PM EDT (US)     7 / 9       

Quote:

You remember the frenzy about the french? I saw a post today in which someone thought they weren't even in the top 3 civs at higher levels.

A french player said that you know..

Quote:

(except those damn FFs, they are KILLING me)

roflmao..
Culverin
Skirmisher
(id: Robert_Squared)
posted 01-13-06 07:52 PM EDT (US)     8 / 9       
Yeah I'm a Dutch player getting pwned by FFs as well... though I own when they don't FF. That's always fun.

Just call me Robert.
My Massgate
Diceclock
Skirmisher
posted 01-13-06 08:07 PM EDT (US)     9 / 9       
Well, Deathshrimp, the problem is that something that needs adjusting ends up getting nerfed instead, because the developers over-do the adjustment, or just as frequently, adjust the wrong detail.

Then the developers start weilding the nerf stick like a fat kid playing whack-a-mole at chucky cheese. Then the bandwagon-hoppers get burnt rollin cities trying to stay 1 step ahead of the stick and one step behind uber leet posted recorded game makers.

I've got faith in you, I think most of us do.

[This message has been edited by Diceclock (edited 01-13-2006 @ 08:07 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames