You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.11 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » British UP????
Bottom
Topic Subject:British UP????
AlpineAxe
Skirmisher
posted 02-03-06 01:47 PM EDT (US)         
Why do I hear a lot of people say that the british are UP? I've been playing with them ever since I got the game (the first weeks on single player and now multiplayer since 2nd of january) and in the beginning I won quite a lot of games with them, even though I didn't use them correctly. After some reading here at the forums I started to understand their way of playing better and better, and now I really know what their potential is.
They are a counter-civ, who have units that can counter any other civ's units. So you have to make a balanced army. a balanced army means lot's of buildings and upgrades, which they easily can afford because they have one of the best economies in the game.
They can get a very strong jaeger rush if they want to, getting 15 jaegers instead of 12. (but I never jaegerrush I prefer longer games).
If they play against a civ that has mainly infantery in age III they can do some kind of longbowrush (longbows combined with 2-4cannons; byebye jaegers). I tried it a few times and it actually works (because your opponent won't be expecting it; the difficulty is managing your economy and microing your longbows at the same time.. I'm not quite good at that lol).
British Fast Industrial kinda kicks ass..
British have killer cavalry (king's life guard hussars) and musketeers (most people find them useless but if they are upgraded they can really be painful if your opponent tries to get to your cannons/rockets).
I'm not saying they're some kind of superciv (certainly not; rush them and it's gg, certainly with ottos) but I don't think they should be made stronger. If they become stronger this will become one of the more popular civs and I would really hate that.

[img]http://www.mastersgames.de/esostats/wthen,AlpineAxe,1,8.png[/img]
AuthorReplies:
Fourtet
Skirmisher
posted 02-03-06 01:50 PM EDT (US)     1 / 11       
agreed, its a good challenge as well.
raaman
posted 02-03-06 03:46 PM EDT (US)     2 / 11       
Brits aren't much of a counter civ. They aren't the best but they aren't the worst. and brits are already one of the most popuplar civ

;zlskehrt;oaweifalkdjfa;io3
OpenAmp
Banned
posted 02-03-06 04:23 PM EDT (US)     3 / 11       
british are very very not UP. not OP, but not UP. i looove rockets, and the hussars are good. manor boom kicks ass, they turtle pretty well, and they have a lot of great water cards.
it's my cofavorite civ, with french.
lachlan
Skirmisher
posted 02-03-06 04:52 PM EDT (US)     4 / 11       
I suspect they may end up 'OP' after the patch if ES isn't carefull. A rocket boost{needed}, a skirm nerf{meh}, and ES said something to the effect that the muskateer was meant to be the backbone of the army. Sounds good for the Brits to me.
Real2002
Skirmisher
posted 02-03-06 05:35 PM EDT (US)     5 / 11       
I have no prob with Brits, except maybe that if you have a low level HC then you don't have very strong military options compared to some other civs. But I don't think they're UP.
ultimitsu
Skirmisher
posted 02-03-06 05:36 PM EDT (US)     6 / 11       
brit is not very UP. but because in the current stat of the game, faster / aggrasive civs have a upperhand due to the system, being a defensive civ, brit is somewhat disadvanatged.

brit has a rather slow start, a slow mid game cos cant rush, and a micro intense late game, a very complicated booming game. it takes much more skill to play brit properly than likes of french, it takes more skill to boom with brit than likes of port.

brit has one of the best economy in the game, but you have to know what you doing to fully utilise it.

sharpe95
Skirmisher
posted 02-03-06 09:22 PM EDT (US)     7 / 11       
Can't really see any civ as UP(Ports maybe)as they can dominate at different points of the game e.g Ottomans own early game where as Brits own late game as do dutch and to a lesser extyent Ports who is the only civ that i feel can be classified as UP

Me Grimlock no kisser, me king!!
He is right Predacons unite!
Decepticons. Prepare to face, Fortress Maximus
Ceres629
Skirmisher
posted 02-03-06 09:40 PM EDT (US)     8 / 11       
Brits only flaw now is that rockets suck and this will be fixed in 1.05,I used to be a huge rocket fan until I saw that upgraded falcs do a better job and are much more easily massable. once ottos and french are toned down a bit, Brits will be perfectly fine. They are in no way UP, certainly not when compared to ports.

Upgrading your cav and muskets is a MUST for brits. IF you don't do this you may as well resign.

[This message has been edited by Ceres629 (edited 02-03-2006 @ 09:46 PM).]

AlpineAxe
Skirmisher
posted 02-04-06 04:02 AM EDT (US)     9 / 11       
yep upgrading is a must.. It allows you to be able to counter those damn Cuirs..

EDIT first post: Forget everything I said; the brits are UP... I played 5 games today and lost them all to idiotic rushes.. from now on I'll only play NO RUSH games untill the brits can stand up to a rush.. (to all rushers: learn how to fight in fortress/industrial when brits are waay stronger)

[img]http://www.mastersgames.de/esostats/wthen,AlpineAxe,1,8.png[/img]

[This message has been edited by AlpineAxe (edited 02-04-2006 @ 04:11 PM).]

ultimitsu
Skirmisher
posted 02-05-06 01:09 PM EDT (US)     10 / 11       
^
^

and yet you were that guy that proudly and mercilessly beaten a french player on 2 V 1 in early age, right?

CK the Fat
Skirmisher
posted 02-05-06 02:15 PM EDT (US)     11 / 11       
I find British one of the best "grunt" civs. Musketeers are fast, cheap, and strong against any unit in the game. And they only take up 1 pop slot. Now, they can very well be cannon fodder. But if you mass cannons against them, the British can easily switch to their strong hussars. The British will always take some pretty heavy casualities, but can rather effectively replace themselves. And the British navy is superb as well.

What I would change about Brits is give them some sort of better anti-rush cards, like perhaps 3 outposts instead of 2 or some stronger longbowmen. Then, it age 4, give the rocket a larger range so they can't so easily be shot down by their counterpart, heavy cannons.

"Republicans who did not play the patronage game were ridiculed as the Mugwumps for sitting on the fence--their "mugs" on one side of the fence and "wumps" on the other. Historians generally consider this era a low point in American politics."--United States History by John J. Newman and John M. Schmalbach
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames