You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Uhlan... treasure hunting?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Uhlan... treasure hunting?
Syzygy
Skirmisher
posted 02-05-06 12:19 PM EDT (US)         
I recently did a battle as the Germans and found myself playing on the Yukon. We all know the treasure-rich northern area, and, with a little scouting, found 455 coin, 300 food, 140 food, and tons of 150ish wood treasures. Mainly guarded by a varying number of polar bears. I hit age two at about 4:40 and immediately sent my 5 uhlans, as usual, to raid with. I then figured that they would actually be a whole lot more valuable to me for killing polar bears than killing Couriers des Bois.
I got tons of treasures, and really, never needed to chop a tree, took about a minute off my fortress time, and lost maybe one uhlan. That helped me a whole lot more than killing a villie or two, and against good players Id be surprised if I could get off that much. So lately, Ive found that, even my 2 uhlans I get from shipping my 3 set. wagons help a whole lot on getting those hard-to-get treasures. Uhlans have great attack, and guardians always attack the explorer anyway.
Everyone expects a Uhlan raid from a German player, so they will generally get some outposts up and protect themselves. Meanwhile, you steal all the treasures.
Like it?

~Syz

AuthorReplies:
atruskot
Skirmisher
posted 02-05-06 12:38 PM EDT (US)     1 / 12       
I alays use the 2 Ulhans I get with shipments to help my explorer get teasures... Thats what I thought they were for, seeing how the Germans don't have a scout or dogs to help out.
unjugon
Skirmisher
posted 02-05-06 12:50 PM EDT (US)     2 / 12       
Actually, uhlans are some of the best units vs coureurs.

My blog, for WC3 and AoE3 strats and articles:
http://unjugon.blogspot.com/
My stats:
http://ratings.myllclan.com/prt/SA/1/TkC/unjugon.jpg
Ceres629
Skirmisher
posted 02-05-06 12:59 PM EDT (US)     3 / 12       
The stupid fastest age 4 contest wasn't useless after all.

I learnt that ulhans are great treausre killers trying to get fastest times with germans.

5 ulhans decimate almost all treasure except those pirates (who you can just one-shot kill anyway)

ddemers
Skirmisher
posted 02-05-06 01:10 PM EDT (US)     4 / 12       
Its worth while to either

1. Use militia for treasure hunting (make sure you have scouted and can easily get the good treasure before using them.
2. Use the free cav Germany get.
3. As Spanish build 3-4 more dogs.
4. Use defensvive troups you have built that are just sitting around your base (this is not common practice though.

Treasures are worth a lot in the early stages of the game, the way I look at it is. If I don;t get those resources, my oponent will.

CK the Fat
Skirmisher
posted 02-05-06 02:09 PM EDT (US)     5 / 12       
I use Uhlans to assist my explorer, especially on Yukon. But I haven't played many games as German. Maybe it would help you more if you raided with them.

"Republicans who did not play the patronage game were ridiculed as the Mugwumps for sitting on the fence--their "mugs" on one side of the fence and "wumps" on the other. Historians generally consider this era a low point in American politics."--United States History by John J. Newman and John M. Schmalbach
Ender_Ward
Skirmisher
posted 02-05-06 02:34 PM EDT (US)     6 / 12       
I like the 5 Janissaries better for the task .

They have both ranged and melee attacks. Plus they murder the cavalry guardians too in melee.

"One wants to be loved, failing that admired, failing that feared, failing that hated and despised. One wants to instill in other people some form of emotion. The soul shudders before emptiness and wants contact, no matter the cost."
Gold Rust
Skirmisher
posted 02-05-06 03:14 PM EDT (US)     7 / 12       
I was saying this about a week after age 3 came out, but no one paid any attention....
Syzygy
Skirmisher
posted 02-05-06 03:51 PM EDT (US)     8 / 12       
"I like the 5 Janissaries better for the task."
Yeah, but Janns require a barracks or shipment. Uhlans are free .
Alex898
Skirmisher
posted 02-05-06 03:52 PM EDT (US)     9 / 12       
Never call minutemen unless your town center has less than half of its hp.
Diceclock
Skirmisher
posted 02-05-06 07:00 PM EDT (US)     10 / 12       
Yeah they work better than Envoys, and you don't feel so guilty about it.

Unlike sending Envoys, where I always fee like I'm saying "hey you, fat slow unarmed guy in the funny pants, go attack that grizly bear."

Mokon
Skirmisher
posted 02-05-06 07:29 PM EDT (US)     11 / 12       

Quote:

The stupid fastest age 4 contest wasn't useless after all.
I learnt that ulhans are great treausre killers trying to get fastest times with germans.

I have been using ulhans to gather treasures since the beginign.... its in my upcoming guide alrdy

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • IllusiveMind
    Skirmisher
    posted 02-05-06 09:36 PM EDT (US)     12 / 12       
    ^ Ditto.
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames