Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » im sad :(
Bottom
Topic Subject:im sad :(
Rush_victim
Skirmisher
posted 02-19-06 08:43 AM EDT (US)         
im sad because ES have made me so, they have wetted my appatite with what appeared to be a great game then, after 70+ games as the brits (lvl 51 home city with a win percentage of 15% :/ ) i realise that there is no hope for me playing this game in multiplayer (the only way i wana play games these days).

the reasons for me are simple enough; this game is in no way evenly matched between civs, imho what good is a great late game economy if ur getting rushed by the Germans French or Ottomans <(dont see so many of these about anymore though.)

i have watched replays of ppl playing as brits, and not one of them showed a rush like happens to me these days, i think now it is common knowladge that if you get a small band of troops together early on against the brits there screwed.
As an example this is my usual conundrum when facing a german opponent is what to do about the inevitable FF, if i try and defend against his ulans by training pikemen i've slowed my progress to fortress age and he will be all over me with skirmishers and ulans etc and i cant do jack about it, if i try and FF with him i still dont have the cards in my deck to defend against what he's gona be able to throw at me, and if i've turtled and are FFing hoping for the best and dotn reach it before him, i know for damn sure my settelers are gona be dying to the sound of skirmisher boomsticks in the very near future. i've played briefly with the germans and so i know what they have up there sleeves to a certain extent and know for damn sure i cant get my head around anyway of stopping them. 11 longbowmen at fortress age cant defend against the same number of skirmishers plus the bonus ulans, whooops there goes my military option, now i get to sit back and watch my civvies get massacred.

Its a simmilar story with the french and of course the ottomans, and as i pretty much always use quick search 1on1 all i ever seem to get is germans or french, and i last about 10 mins.

Now dont get me wrong i dont think htere is anything wrong with playing these civs, there in the game, there great fun and there effective, hell why shouldnt you?!

This is a personal sadness for i realy realy realy wana be the brits, ive tried germany but i couldnt get out of my head the unfairness i felt on the reciveing end of another ulan rush followed by skirmishers wrecking havoc (and crikey, it deffinatly works.) when growing up me and my mates would not allow any one to be the 'easy' characters in games ie; Eddy in Tekken 3 or Odd Job in Goldeneye. we liked the chalange, but if the chalange was more of an unfairness then we'd stop playing.

Ok i've ranted enough, let me make it clear that i am not saying this is a crap game, or that its wrong or bad to choose one of the civs i have mentioned above, thats what makes us all different, if we were allt he same civ the game would be dullas dish water, i guess what im saying is ES should take a serious look at what i consider to be some broken multiplayer mechanics which have sent me back to World of Warcraft.

thanks for listening and enjoy your Civs whatever they are

AuthorReplies:
Slickman_G
Skirmisher
posted 02-19-06 08:51 AM EDT (US)     1 / 12       
Read some British guides, there are many around.

(`.`....`.)
(.`Slick G`.)
(`.`....`.)
atruskot
Skirmisher
posted 02-19-06 09:14 AM EDT (US)     2 / 12       
ES is working on the balance patch.

Why don't you just play as another civ? Or learn how to play more defensively early on. I think your skill level is hurting you more than the brits weakness. Even an average/poor brit player will win at least 35% of his games.

drphobeus
Skirmisher
posted 02-19-06 09:21 AM EDT (US)     3 / 12       
I play mainly Brits, and my win percentage hasn't dropped below 50%.

It is true, that a well executed rush or FF is likely to screw you, and I have yet to counter an otto rush (which is begining to piss me off) but you just need to concentrate on what makes british good. They can boom like crazy, so I always play defensively, concentrate of getting my eco up and running with the minimum military expenditure needed, then simply overwhelm them. Yes, if they execute their rush perfectly, it will most likley be gg, but if they make any mistakes, then you will soon repel them and take the fight to them. By that stage you should be at a point where you can pump out military, while they will still be trying to get the eco started.

Some tips

Aim to get to colonial early, but not crazy early. An extra villie or two out at this point will help. I will often wait and hit the button to age up as soon as my opponent ages up. I am usually there and have a shipment on the way before their rush force turns up.

Always have a few towers - I age up with the 200g and outpost guy, then ship the 2 outposts if I expect a rush.

Maximise your military - If you have a force attacking your TC, send for your longbow shipment. When they arrive hit and run, making circles around your tc, or between your towers.

Distractions - ATP works wonders for this, often a rush force will try to take out your ATP first, making a few losses in the process. Very silly IMO, but if thats what they want to do...

Take the fight to them - As soon as possible, start to raid. If you have a few horses, send them to raid the enemy villigers. Beating their initial force will be meaningless if you allow their eco to overtake yours.

Never stop villie production - even if you have all your villigers garrisioned, still keep yout TC producing. If and when you have beaten them back, you need to make up for lost time.

When you do get rushed, don't panic, stick to your plan - garrison any villigers that are in danger, but try to keep as many as you can still working (it amazes me how often ppl will ignore your villigers working away and go straight for the TC).

Even with doing all this, if they know what they are doing you can still loss, but 90% of the games you play against BO rushers they will not know how to adapt, if you remain cool and slowly whittle them down, they will panic and start doing stupid things.

schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 02-19-06 09:40 AM EDT (US)     4 / 12       
you wont have 15% winning because u play with an UP civ, you are just not good enough.

"such a kind fellow!" ~ ķįŋğ_Ćħŗĩ_ĬĬ

Furby killer should be crowned leader of AOE forum ~ [SW_GD]Teutonic

IBeasT_69
Skirmisher
posted 02-19-06 10:16 AM EDT (US)     5 / 12       
hmm the brits? well im pretty sure that they are the ppl with TWO jaeger cards, use them against germans, also a brit Fast Industrial is very Viable because if you spend all your food on advancing you can just switch evry1 to wood during advance and build houses to make villies. Also, i play as germans, if you want to stop their merc rush, you must kill off his mercs, its actually not that hard unless, like me he micros the hell outtof you just build a few falconets, pikeman, and some muskets, the falconets will wreck his 1200 gold jaegers, pikeman will destroy his hackapells, and if brits have dragoons build them to take out br's, after you take out all or most of his mercs attack, his economy is junk now, he probably only has gold.Trust me im only lvl 20 german, but i always have all mercs but im stuck at 17 villis due to the pop.

[This message has been edited by IBeasT_69 (edited 02-19-2006 @ 10:21 AM).]

Rush_victim
Skirmisher
posted 02-19-06 11:22 AM EDT (US)     6 / 12       
thanks for the advice, ive had an idea...

im gona make a new British city and start again from lvl 1. i think id grindid my way to lvl 51 through many losses and am now way way out of my depth.

it is hard to learn how to play better when ur getting beatdowns very quickly form much better players

.. damn my defeatist attitude, i'll never surrender (churchill would be proud )

thanks again

PS. as for the UP'ness of the brits; I dont think they are truely UP because that would mean they are worse than every one else, i just think the 3 civs i mentioned are a bit too tough to beat (OP?)

CK the Fat
Skirmisher
posted 02-19-06 12:20 PM EDT (US)     7 / 12       
Fix the British longbows and they would rock. The time it takes for them to draw their bows are pretty crappy too, it makes it hard to hit and run.

"Republicans who did not play the patronage game were ridiculed as the Mugwumps for sitting on the fence--their "mugs" on one side of the fence and "wumps" on the other. Historians generally consider this era a low point in American politics."--United States History by John J. Newman and John M. Schmalbach
NemesisHunter
Skirmisher
posted 02-19-06 01:35 PM EDT (US)     8 / 12       
15% at level 51 isn't just the british being up. You should maybe try a stronger civ (spanish) to get better. Once you are a better player then go back and try the british again. I bet you'll notice a difference.
ultimitsu
Skirmisher
posted 02-19-06 01:43 PM EDT (US)     9 / 12       
there is no need to start a new city....

working your way up is so painful.

as brit it is pretty hard to survive colonial, but once you in fortress, ship jaegers then 2 falconets then you can do a pretty good defense. against german merc rush.

copy_my_style
Skirmisher
posted 02-19-06 11:40 PM EDT (US)     10 / 12       
I find that Brits can easily rush too. I can have 13 hussars screwing around with their vills by 6 mins. Brits are a good civ, read some guides, or maybe try another 'up' civ such as Dutch or Ports, I find it cool playing the UP civ and beating Germans etc.

http://www.anzacclan.com/ - ANZAC Clan Home
http://www.anzacclan.com/forums/ - ANZAC Clan Forums

[This message has been edited by copy_my_style (edited 02-20-2006 @ 11:04 PM).]

OpenAmp
Banned
posted 02-20-06 01:22 PM EDT (US)     11 / 12       
i agree with copy

on the main note, the british can EASILY defend a french or otto rush. you just gotta practice. i had to lose a lot before i won. what i like to do is:

age up with governor

put the wagon far out there

send for colonial militia card

train longbows

and BAM. you're all set. colonial militia is now my favorite card. why? BIG army really FAST that DOESN'T need wood so you can build houses fore more vills. plus a TC with 10 vills and colonial militia will kill:

strelets, pikemen, rodelero, and halbierdiers in one hit. cossaacks take two.

"it is hard to learn how to play better when ur getting beatdowns very quickly form much better players"

on the contrary, a loss isn't fun, but it's a hell of a lot more educational than a win.

Destiny_Devil
Skirmisher
posted 02-20-06 06:10 PM EDT (US)     12 / 12       
my winning % has actually went up since playing brits becaise I think rushing is unfair but still played as ottos, (who have awuite a good boom I outboomed a good dutch player today )so I started playing with brits and my win % went upto 35 (I was a real n00b when I first started playing my win % was really low as ottos
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames