Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » brit longbowmen
Bottom
Topic Subject:brit longbowmen
rust888
Skirmisher
posted 02-19-06 05:37 PM EDT (US)         
been getting used to playing with the brits, but have been wondering if longbowmen are useful? personally, i dont use them in excess: cavs and artillery eat them for breakfast, and infantry seem to be able to handle them (once they get into range). what are your thoughts about longbowmen? do u guys use them at all?

PS: the brits longbowmen card upgrade (allows them to use guard and imperial upgrades). do u guys use this? is it worth having in a deck? or more useless than that hot air balloon card?

AuthorReplies:
Miain
Skirmisher
posted 02-19-06 05:43 PM EDT (US)     1 / 12       
I use longbow men a lot..I find them very useful,I do have that upgrade in some of my decks.In colonial age,longbowmen are my main unit...
gunner1
Scenario Expert
posted 02-19-06 05:45 PM EDT (US)     2 / 12       
hey don't dis hot air ballons. anyway yeomen the card you refferd to is so great they get great range same as a falc so they can get 2-3 rounds in using hit and before having to run plus they look so cool as guard.

Scenarios I have made
Single Player-: CAMPAIGN - Christmas - Forest River RPG - Total Freedom
MultiPlayer-: Castle Blood Automatic - Mafia Hitman - Warrior Defence
ESO = sandstorm....................................................................................."I won the bet on 1.04!"
diesel_123
Skirmisher
posted 02-19-06 06:27 PM EDT (US)     3 / 12       
Before you get too excited about the longbow's range, remember that the longbow will NOT auto-attack targets until the get much closer. Basically, the only way the longbow's range is put to use is if you manually target an enemy.

I use longbows, but never en mass. A couple dozen behind a wall or behind a meatshield do a decent job against any target. Never have just a group of longbowmen traveling the map...they are slow and will die hard to cav.

Epierce41
Skirmisher
posted 02-19-06 06:41 PM EDT (US)     4 / 12       
Yeah, the main time for longbowmen is in colonial. Without the yeomen upgrade they won't cut it in later ages.

Anyone know why ES made it so longbowmen wouldn't autofire at their max range?

Cassius Allanus
Skirmisher
posted 02-19-06 06:48 PM EDT (US)     5 / 12       

Quoted from Epierce41:

Anyone know why ES made it so longbowmen wouldn't autofire at their max range?

Not a clue. Maybe we could beg them to fix that in 1.06

AIM: CassiusAllanus | MSN: Brendon.Allan@shaw.ca | XFire: enlighteneddespot | E-MAIL: Brendon.Allan@shaw.ca | ESO2: HG_CassiusA
  • View My Special Ops Brigade Page
  • "In Cassiusland, whips cure disease!"
  • rust888
    Skirmisher
    posted 02-19-06 07:06 PM EDT (US)     6 / 12       
    just another question, are they meant to be used as the brit version of skirms? ive noticed they tend to rape war wagons if used en masse.
    Red Storm
    Skirmisher
    posted 02-19-06 07:23 PM EDT (US)     7 / 12       
    On the auto-attack thing, almost all human units (except artillery) that have a range greater than 16 only auto-attack at 16 range. It doesn't only apply to longbowmen.
    diesel_123
    Skirmisher
    posted 02-19-06 07:27 PM EDT (US)     8 / 12       
    Yes, you can think of them as skirmishers with the following differences...

- The do more base damage than skirmishers, but don't have the skirmisher multiplier against infantry. This is a plus, as you can deal considerable damage to any target, not just infantry.

- They move much slower...do not try "bump and run" tactics.

- They have double the rate of fire, which makes them more efficient at dealing damage.

- They cost food and wood instead of food and gold. Coupled with the British need for wood (Manors), this kind of hurts.

- Longbowmen can miss their target. Skirmishers never miss.

[This message has been edited by diesel_123 (edited 02-19-2006 @ 07:28 PM).]

ChowMein
    Skirmisher
    posted 02-19-06 08:49 PM EDT (US)     9 / 12       
    I find them very useful, im gonna play more with brit after 1.05 and i saw a good team game(2v2) and the british player used yeomen with about 130+ longbow at guard and they were eating EVERYTHING! every Fu***** infantry, every Fu***** Cav(exept cuirs because they were not french) and every Fu***** artillery. He was tottaly massing them and when some died to cannon they were almost trained in 10 sec. They owned bad the german and spanish(or dutch, cant remember) team.

"It is like a finger pointing away to the moon do not concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."
    - Bruce Lee
    Miain
    Skirmisher
    posted 02-20-06 11:42 AM EDT (US)     10 / 12       

You can do this by splitting htem into 2 groups,1 runs 1 fires

- Longbowmen can miss their target. Skirmishers never miss.No,they dont.

OpenAmp
    Banned
    posted 02-20-06 01:02 PM EDT (US)     11 / 12       
    longbows are teh aweseomeness. even without yeomen(which really should be age 2) they are really good; they WTFPWN rushes, with ROF and range. just know theyre coming, and attack as they come into range. with a bit of micro, you will own them.
    Ender_Ward
    Skirmisher
    posted 02-20-06 02:12 PM EDT (US)     12 / 12       

Quote:

Uh, that's not the reason you can't hit and run with Longbows. Abus Guns too only have 4.0 speed and you can easily hit and run with them (and many do).
    It's the fact that Longbows have a set up time before they actually fire, that prevents the ability to hit and run.

"One wants to be loved, failing that admired, failing that feared, failing that hated and despised. One wants to instill in other people some form of emotion. The soul shudders before emptiness and wants contact, no matter the cost."
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames