You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.24 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Quick Search is so SCREWED!!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Quick Search is so SCREWED!!
The_Termin8tor
Skirmisher
posted 03-19-06 11:03 AM EDT (US)         
Im really getting pissed off with this game now. Im not a good player, 1600 at best, lose more than i win etc etc so I make a new home city so that I can get some new cards specifically for FF at level 10...

I go into quick search for a couple of games and get absolutely wasted in both games, so I went over to Cuetech to check their rank to find one guy rated 1933 and the other rated 1978.

HOW THE HELL CAN AVERAGE PLAYERS ENJOY THIS GAME WHEN THEY COME UP AGAINST THESE LEVEL OF PLAYERS???

At the end of the day, I will NEVER be a good player above 1700 so why the hell do I get matched with these experts? I dont want to meet these kind of players, I will never beat them. ESO quick search is a joke, they need to sort it out or I wont be playing much longer.

AuthorReplies:
fryBASS
Skirmisher
(id: LO12DS_Frylock)
posted 03-19-06 11:11 AM EDT (US)     1 / 24       
it matches you up by your ESO ranking. one time i got matched up with a Brigaider (i'm 1st Leiutenant). 1:30 into the game, it says "this game is not rated." so if you get set up with someone who's ranking is higher than yours, it should go unrated.

Check out my YouTube Page!
ESO - LO12DS_Fry
Stophon4
Skirmisher
posted 03-19-06 11:27 AM EDT (US)     2 / 24       
No thats not true, it only displays that message when someone levels up their HC in the first 2 minutes of the game.

"Dutch are OP!"
"Iriquois are OP!"
"Stophon is OP!"

tEk Clan #1 US Clan
Pipes
Skirmisher
posted 03-19-06 11:30 AM EDT (US)     3 / 24       
There's a lot of sharks that use qs, so maybe just stick to the game browser and find people your own skill level there.

Also, if it says 'this game is not rated' it's a bug, ES has that in it's faq on their website i believe.

fryBASS
Skirmisher
(id: LO12DS_Frylock)
posted 03-19-06 11:38 AM EDT (US)     4 / 24       
oh so thats what it was? hmm thats dumb then it should be my reason

Check out my YouTube Page!
ESO - LO12DS_Fry
Takk
Skirmisher
(id: Luke_Feanor)
posted 03-19-06 11:39 AM EDT (US)     5 / 24       
Playing quicksearch is like a lucky dip when it comes to player skill. If you want to ensure you are matched with players of similar skill it's best to use the custom game browser and find a game with the same rank level as you, or host one yourself.

Lucas is boss.
StonewallJ
Seraph Emeritus
(id: Conquistador34)
posted 03-19-06 12:28 PM EDT (US)     6 / 24       
Yeah, it's all about chance.

But quicksearch is exactly what it says: quick. It's just to find a game quickly.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][] Stonewall J [][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Tigger_Bounce
Skirmisher
posted 03-19-06 12:41 PM EDT (US)     7 / 24       
i set it on the homecity level since they cant possibly have much better cards and i set it to 5 lvls diff so i know i can at least have a chance it is really not the point but you can just go to the other in a click and find a game i think it is equally done but i doubt it is "so SCREWED"... PS i have played quite some Quicksearch

Eso Name For AoeIII: GL_Chewy 2nd Lt. for now...PR 21
I play TWC
NemesisHunter
Skirmisher
posted 03-19-06 02:49 PM EDT (US)     8 / 24       
haha, that happened to me. It just so happened that Red_cloud and Ppoc and philoarc all had started new hc's at the same time I started my port civ. Good times. I actually learned alot from playing them thou.
ultimitsu
Skirmisher
posted 03-19-06 03:09 PM EDT (US)     9 / 24       
quick search goes by ESO's own rating system which is very inaccurate.

you may want to play non-quick search game then. host a game and play 1600 players.

KingSteve3721
Skirmisher
posted 03-19-06 05:11 PM EDT (US)     10 / 24       
"ESO quick search is a joke, they need to sort it out or I wont be playing much longer."

has anyone told you that there are other ways to play other than QS? just join a game with noobs in its name

and really? i'm undefeated in QS post-patch and ive owned every time :P.
hmmm....

The Bob
Skirmisher
posted 03-19-06 06:29 PM EDT (US)     11 / 24       
damn it termin8tor is lucky..

every time i use QS i get somebody who is somewhere between 1400-1850 though it VERY RARELY goes over 1800 and its boring and too easy O_o ... can we swap quicksearches please

fhertlein
Skirmisher
posted 03-19-06 06:37 PM EDT (US)     12 / 24       
Give it a little time to have the ranking titles balance out, and eventually you should be matched with people closer to your rating.

I also have encountered a few players that handed me my ass within 20 minutes. Hell, the fact that I lasted 20 minutes is shocking.

Since I do not know your quick search settings, just change it to be within 5 HC levels, to avoid somebody just past the magic numbers.

Don't lose hope.

"The devil and the priest can't exist if one goes away, its just like the battle of the sun and moon, night and day. The force of the devil is what we are told to fear. Watch out for religion when he gets too near."
"Living in a world of fantasy, I can hide behind what's real."
"Behind a smile, there's danger and a promise to be told, you'll never get old. Life's fantasy, to be locked away and still to think you're free! So live for today, tomorrow never comes. Die young."
deathmf
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 01:16 AM EDT (US)     13 / 24       
Seeing as ESO doesn't use the CueTech rating (or so it seems), they should match by power rating/rank. I know they can't be doing this when a Sergeant (me) fights a Major...

and there should be an option if you want it to match with players with close rank or not (also linked to the part where it says ignore the restrictions if it can't find a match)

somme
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 02:48 AM EDT (US)     14 / 24       
Lucky for you. If I use my high Spanish city I get owned by 2k+ players and if I use my other cities I roll over a 1500 player. While neither is ideal I much prefer getting owned by a 2k+ player, it's much more of a learning experience.

ESO : Pcfreak8
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." -Jan L. A. van de Snepscheu
A pessimist is usually right and never disappointed.
Any history buff knows that nothing stops a cannon like a good uppercut. - BeatnikJoe
nzoldager
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 03:16 AM EDT (US)     15 / 24       
Once u see their rank just quit if its an imbalanced match up. I have started to quit when the game starts if my opponent is not an officer - its just a waste of 10 mins otherwise.
Sammo
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 05:25 AM EDT (US)     16 / 24       

Quoted from nzoldager:

Once u see their rank just quit if its an imbalanced match up. I have started to quit when the game starts if my opponent is not an officer - its just a waste of 10 mins otherwise.

If I did that, I probably would never get a game.

We all live in the gutter, but some of us look up at the stars...
Thanatos
Skirmisher
(id: deathmaster666)
posted 03-20-06 06:44 AM EDT (US)     17 / 24       

Quote:

If I did that, I probably would never get a game.

Indeed I get mismatched a lot of the time, but that is using expanded search else it's really difficult to find a game.

Help me to tally the forums belief patterns, vote in my poll

Tally so far:-
Agnostics:18
Atheists:28
Theists:42
The_Termin8tor
Skirmisher
posted 03-21-06 09:07 AM EDT (US)     18 / 24       
How do I find my opponents rank in QS before the game starts?? Do I hover over their icon in the set up screen or do I have to check their rating as soon as the game starts??
Start>Player Summary?

If this is the case, can I quit within a minute of the game starting and NOT get penalised with a defeat/loss of rank?

How exactly does QS match me up with someone when I set it to within 5 HC levels??

If im a Level 16 player (sergeant or whatever) with a win % of say 30% and a HC level of 10 does it just lok for ANYONE who has a HC level of between 5-15, regardless of their rank?

Zeal_Love
Skirmisher
posted 03-21-06 10:49 AM EDT (US)     19 / 24       

Quote:

If im a Level 16 player (sergeant or whatever) with a win % of say 30% and a HC level of 10 does it just lok for ANYONE who has a HC level of between 5-15, regardless of their rank?

Yes, it finds everyone who has a HC level in your selected range and then matches you with the person who has the power rank closest to you. If there is only one other person looking around your hc level you risk getting vs someone way out of your league power rating wise.

ESO2 : Love_
Bleach
Skirmisher
posted 03-21-06 10:55 AM EDT (US)     20 / 24       
People tend to forget that at any time there is only a limited number of people looking for a game. The inbalanced matchups are a trade-off with the waiting time. And you wouldn't want to wait for 48 mins in QS, would you?
justiw
Skirmisher
posted 03-21-06 11:23 AM EDT (US)     21 / 24       
I think it would be nice if the QS feature would give you some info about your opponent before the game starts.

Example:

You start to search...
10 secs pass and QS finds a match
QS shows you a screen with both players name and rank, with a cancel button, for approximately 5-10 secs.
If the matchup is not cancelled, the game starts
If the matchup is cancelled, both players return to the search with a temporary exclude flag on the cancelled name.
This forces QS to find a different matchup.
When the next search starts, the exclude flags are cleared. This makes it so you can play that person if you want to now.

This would allow you to see if your opponent is too good/bad before hand so that you can cancel the matchup.

I guess this might be abused by people who want to win all the time, but they always figure out a way to do that anyway.

Just an idea.

Counter the attack, then Counter Attack!!!
LembasBread
Skirmisher
posted 03-21-06 04:48 PM EDT (US)     22 / 24       
I hate quick search too. I think I'[m a major atm... I play everyone I am matched up with and win about 90% of the time (15 game winning streak last night). I got matched up with the #25 guy and I stomped him. It is hard to find a good challenge. The power ranking is quite inaccurate. My cousin is way worse than I am and I can stomp him any day, yet he gets rated about 6 higher than me. I trust cuetech 10x more than power rating. ES really should use ELO or 1600 rating systems.

"The lembas had a virtue without which they would long ago have lain down to die. . . . this waybread of the Elves had a potency that increased as travelers relied on it alone and did not mingle it with other foods. It fed the will, and it gave strength to endure, and to master sinew and limb beyond the measure of mortal kind."

• "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" by J.R.R. Tolkien

• Hit 2100+ cuetech rating on Sunday, April 17th, 2006

tster123
Skirmisher
posted 03-21-06 04:54 PM EDT (US)     23 / 24       

Quote:

I trust cuetech 10x more than power rating. ES really should use ELO or 1600 rating systems.

just wait. cuetech has recorded games for months. power ratings only a couple weeks. it will get more accurate.
Shadow Rat
Skirmisher
posted 03-21-06 04:58 PM EDT (US)     24 / 24       
With my French HC, I typically own anyone in quicksearch who isn't Dutch or Spanish.

Earth

"A planet does not explode of itself," said dryly
the Martian astronomer, gazing into the air.
"That they were able to do it is proof
that highly intelligent beings must have been living there."

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames