You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.19 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » is there anything one can do?
Bottom
Topic Subject:is there anything one can do?
gazza89
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 03:10 PM EDT (US)         
Today i was playing a game vs a guy rated 2110 on cuetech so obviously very good. Im rated around 1800. This guy was spanish and i was ports, however the scores were very even, i had just seen his army. Allthough is was big, i had the perfect counters. I had culvrins for his falconetes and i had dragoons for his lancers are well as organs and cacas for his masses of pikes. Then ..oh crap the phone rang. I paused the game and went to get it. I came back and it was unpaused. I kept trying to pause but this SON OF A ***** simply wouldnt let me, he didnt say a word, i cudnt concentrate on the phone call and the intensive micro at the same time. My dragoons get the lancers but were eventualy pwned by the pikes, i also couldnt concentrate at all on macro as i was having an important call, not just a little chit chat. Needless to say, i got off the phone with half the amount of settlers i started the call with and then it was just GG...i mean SG. Is there anythign one can do? I could report him to eso but i dont exactly think that there is a rule saying one MUST except somebody's pauses. That would be stupid. I could go blabbing his name but that would seem a bit tasteless. Is there anything one can do except just move on?
AuthorReplies:
KingSandman
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 03:19 PM EDT (US)     1 / 19       
I advise these steps:

1) Get it off your chest.

2) Put him on your pest list.

3) Move on.

EmperorPatrick
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 03:40 PM EDT (US)     2 / 19       
Ew....I hate inconsiderate people like that. I have to answer the phone all the time in- game, and usually people understand. That's really annoying.

AOE III/TWC: 1st Lieutenant
TAD: Master Sergeant (~30 Games Played)
ZinkOxide
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 03:57 PM EDT (US)     3 / 19       
Did you tell him you had a phone call before you paused, or right after? If not, he might not have understood, as there are people who pause just to annoy.

I won a thread!
CROSS REMOVED BY REQUEST OF MODS
Blood weighs more than tears.
OttovonBismarck
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 04:07 PM EDT (US)     4 / 19       

Quote:

Did you tell him you had a phone call before you paused, or right after? If not, he might not have understood, as there are people who pause just to annoy.

thats a good point. If u told him u had a phone call and then he continued to attack, then he was being a real a-hole, put him on ur pest list.

Quote:

i also couldnt concentrate at all on macro as i was having an important call, not just a little chit chat. Needless to say, i got off the phone with half the amount of settlers i started the call with and then it was just GG...i mean SG. Is there anythign one can do? I could report him to eso but i dont exactly think that there is a rule saying one MUST except somebody's pauses

There is no rule that says that u must accept somebodys pauses. However, it is good manners to do so. Again, if u didnt tell him u were in the middle of an important phone call, then he might have thought u were pausing to be annoying and ignored it
SOJOA
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 04:10 PM EDT (US)     5 / 19       
I had a kid do this to me today where he paused and I was nice enough to let it go and wait but not for nothing but why the hell pick up the phone during a game? everyone seems so compelled to answer their phones. I dont get it.
jaafit
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 04:13 PM EDT (US)     6 / 19       
Yeah, he doesn't sound like someone I'd want to play with. But why answer the phone in the first place? I just completely ignore it and call back after the game's over.

agecommunity quote of the month Ok i have payed for this game for al my moneythat i get in a month so when i go online isee these 9 year old kids that beat me that have played for 2 weeks and i have played since release of vanilla so im pretty pissed of that es dosent want to do anything about the balance of the game.
SOJOA
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 04:16 PM EDT (US)     7 / 19       
Thank you!
gazza89
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 04:21 PM EDT (US)     8 / 19       
yes i did tell him that i was on the phone but he either didnt speak english or didnt give a flying.. I dont usualy expect this behaviour from somebody who is good like in the top 400.
CwlHeddwyn
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 04:38 PM EDT (US)     9 / 19       
I just ignore Phone Calls- since my phone used to be in the same room as my Xbox answering phone calls while playing on LIVE is really tricky
Pale Horse
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 04:46 PM EDT (US)     10 / 19       
Alt-Tab to windows, and madly click on internet explorer, starting several hundred browser windows.

Your machine will lag to a standstill.

You can also try to lag it with turning on AA and VSYnc and max graphic settings.

That'll put a little starch in his game play.

NOOB'XPERT wannabe
LO12DS_Mist
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 04:55 PM EDT (US)     11 / 19       

Quote:

Alt-Tab to windows, and madly click on internet explorer, starting several hundred browser windows.

Your machine will lag to a standstill.

You can also try to lag it with turning on AA and VSYnc and max graphic settings.

That'll put a little starch in his game play.

And you could try launching a bunch of different games and turning on the multiplayer game browsers or starting a SP game...EG go on Halo or BF2 and start a game, it'll lag like hell.

gazza89
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 05:18 PM EDT (US)     12 / 19       

Quote:

Yeah, he doesn't sound like someone I'd want to play with. But why answer the phone in the first place? I just completely ignore it and call back after the game's over.

well first of all, im not the kinda guy whos life is just aoe3, phone calls can be important
2nd of all how do you know who it is until you pick it up
3rd of all, somebody else picked up and then it was for me so i didnt have a choice..the lag thing is quite a funyn idea tho ^^
Fornak
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 05:35 PM EDT (US)     13 / 19       
theres something called a callers ID
FriedPegasus
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 05:43 PM EDT (US)     14 / 19       
It amazes me how many people don't think it's rude to make someone else wait on their phone call.

See, the guy waiting just can't go do other stuff while you're chatting it up because he doesn't know when you are going to unpause it. So he's just stuck there staring at his screen because you're apparently one of the 3 people left in the world that don't have an answering machine/service or caller ID.

[This message has been edited by FriedPegasus (edited 03-20-2006 @ 05:43 PM).]

dejanh
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 05:44 PM EDT (US)     15 / 19       
Hahaha, why to answer a phone call??? Well, umm, ummm....it is probably more important than the game you are playing! And caller id, well it's great for knowing whether you need to answer or not, not so that you can call back the number after you have finished the game.

People that do not respect a legitimate pause are plain cheaters. I had one guy do that to me, but luckily his connection lagged out, he got dropped and I won =)

(\__/) This is bunny.
(O.o ) Copy him in your signature to
(> < ) help him conquer the world!
Miain
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 05:55 PM EDT (US)     16 / 19       
Complaining over someone pausing a game for 1 or 2minutes to answer the phone is pathetic,or if they are going to the bathroom.Im suprised it was a 2100 player though,its usually retards massing cuirassiers with french that do it
KingSteve3721
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 05:58 PM EDT (US)     17 / 19       
what is this...like the 5th time ive seen one of these threads?
its life...deal with it. i bet that phone call was way more important than a simple game of aoe3 anyway
R4V4G3R
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 06:11 PM EDT (US)     18 / 19       
first of all i agree with topic starter, he was a jerk. But if you try to lag him out u are bieng as much of a jerk as he is. basically, just let it go and forget about it. well, thats what i do.
Cattlelord
Skirmisher
posted 03-21-06 03:05 PM EDT (US)     19 / 19       
Don't pause while I am playing vs you or the same thing will happen. My house could burn down around me and Im not going to stop playing.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames