You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.15 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Hispaniola: What's your take?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Hispaniola: What's your take?
Toysoldier14
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 07:23 PM EDT (US)         
With the new patch out, 1.05, I'm sure you have all had time to discover the new map thats out there; Hispaniola. I just played a good 3v3 game with the AI on this map, and I loved it!

I like all the resources out at sea that are available, and the ship battles were ok because it was offline. Lots of expansion oppurtunity, as well as 3 Native Villages which is where most of the action takes place. If you are able to get all three, thats 45 cheap and easy Native Soldiers, and once you get their upgrades, they are a force to be feared.

So, I come here, to AOE Heaven, to ask you what your opinion is on Hispaniola. I love it, and you?

P.S: Sorry if there is a thread about this in the past that I am unaware of

Thanks,
-Toy

I reject your reality, and substatute my own!
AuthorReplies:
timmac
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 07:27 PM EDT (US)     1 / 15       
I haven't played one game on it yet.
Toysoldier14
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 07:32 PM EDT (US)     2 / 15       
Oh my, that's surprising. You really should, even if its single player, its a fun map!

tster123
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 08:30 PM EDT (US)     3 / 15       
I've played lots of games since the patch but amazingly none on that map!
Anuknight
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 08:30 PM EDT (US)     4 / 15       
In one of the forum parties I played a team game, and though I lost horribly it was fun. I didn't really get to enjoy the map much though, because we were completely owned.

(`._.[~Anuknight~ ]._.)
iam_Chrono_J
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 08:31 PM EDT (US)     5 / 15       
It's a good map. TOAO had a British civ fest on Hispaniola a couple of nights ago, and the games were alot of fun. And in Brit archer games, the Carib Blowgunners play a major role! The water is also very viable, with a ton of fish.
Toysoldier14
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 08:38 PM EDT (US)     6 / 15       
Yes, good to hear positive replies.

The game I played, since it was only against Hard AIs, I was owning. I set up a Town Center and a small farming village by the Great Bay on the West side of the Map, with my town on the East. I had around 20-25 fishing boats by the end, with 8 of them on Whales, I was getting tons of resources.

With the Carib settlements, too. A total of 5 or so, the one who controls all of those, controls the map. If you were smart, 50-60% of early economy is based on wood, you should be able to max out on blowgunners, that makes a 75 man army! WOW!

However, no enemy will give you all of these, so this makes the game longer, being locked in almost a stalemate over these sites.

ddemers
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 08:46 PM EDT (US)     7 / 15       
Ive played the map a few time. I like it because fishing is useful, but battleships are worthless till late game. Since the map is so large it takes forever to get your warships to the other end of the map .

[EEX] Nullpointer
Canadian Gamer
Canadian_Bro
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 08:48 PM EDT (US)     8 / 15       
overall I like this map but its a bit unfair if someone ends up beside the bay with fish and whales whereas the other guy is stuck down in the other end of the map

Online ESO name: Canadian_Bro
Clan: iC (innner Circle)
1900+ cuetech or Major
www.pimpinpickle.com
Fornak
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 08:50 PM EDT (US)     9 / 15       
ive never played on that map, but ill try it out someday . . . someday
Toysoldier14
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 09:22 PM EDT (US)     10 / 15       
To Canadian_bro,

Yes that does seem a little unfair. I would suggest if that happened to maybe send in some warships to dull his fishing fleet, or send troops in to burn down his docks and reclaim the land as yours.

P.S: I'm Canadian, too!

jaafit
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 09:31 PM EDT (US)     11 / 15       
The most interesting thing to me about this map is those whales.

Portugese have a unique church tech that gives their villagers +20% bonus to mills and -5% bonus to everything else. On this map, the -5% isn't so bad since a good portion of your eco can be boats. Boats don't suffer from -5%! So you can have 20 fishers on gold, 40 vils on mills, and get a pretty decent boost while having a eco balanced for muskets and cassadors.

This is of course, dependent on controlling the bay, which can be hard to do.

agecommunity quote of the month Ok i have payed for this game for al my moneythat i get in a month so when i go online isee these 9 year old kids that beat me that have played for 2 weeks and i have played since release of vanilla so im pretty pissed of that es dosent want to do anything about the balance of the game.
Mokon
Skirmisher
posted 03-20-06 10:30 PM EDT (US)     12 / 15       
I have yet to play it :|

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • tster123
    Skirmisher
    posted 03-20-06 11:48 PM EDT (US)     13 / 15       
    does it show up on quick search? how about "standard maps"? I hope it does on both. It doesn't look like a water map really.
    Toysoldier14
    Skirmisher
    posted 03-20-06 11:51 PM EDT (US)     14 / 15       
    Oh my, Mokon! Get out there and play it, even if it's on Single Player, I'd love to hear an "Admin's" decision .

Jaafit, I didn't realise the Portugese got that bonus! I have never played as them, actually. As I played, I was British. I focused on mainly wood, having about 65-75% of my settlers gathering it, and whenever I really needed a boost in a resource, I built houses. It was funny, by the time the gold mine near my Town was gone, there were eight houses around it! Haha!

Thanks for replying, guys!
    -Toy

Drinian
    Savage Norseman
    (id: TimmySpok)
    posted 03-21-06 09:38 AM EDT (US)     15 / 15       
    I played an awesome LAN game 1v1 on Hispanolia.

I was playing as brits and my enemy was dutch. At about the 10 minute mark he sent about 20 pikes and a few hussars and xbows towards my TC. He almost took it down too, cuz i was using all my wood for houses (manor boom) and i hadn't built more than 5 longbows. I called out minutemen and drove him off. then i noticed my explorer was walking through his town. about 5 pikes and 5 xbows were attacking him, a ran away, but got stuck out on this peninsula with no way out except through his town, which i assumed was crawling with troops. Then i noticed a carib village next to my explorer on the peninsula. I built a TP and maxed out on blowgunners. I also built a galleon and some muskets. I sent the muskets across the bay in the galleon to distract him, then i sent my 30 or so carib blowgunners into his village. With one of the techs, blowgunners get a bonus against villies. I destroyed literally half his villagers with my blowgun army. Then i started building falconets + longbows + hussars + pikes and took out his TC. At that point it was GG.

Dagorhir Battlegames-- A full contact medieval combat battle game

Varangia-- A viking unit in the Aratari chapter of Dagorhir

Winner-- OD Idol 2009
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames