You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.51 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Grenaider Mercs?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Grenaider Mercs?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
ub3r
Skirmisher
posted 04-07-06 05:10 PM EDT (US)         
Did ES not make a Merc version of the Grenaider on purpose?

Would they be too l33t?

Just imagine a Middle-Eastern like unit with 450 health lobing grenades for 36 ranged attack with x2 splash.

Just for fun...

Altaic Bombarder

HP:450
Ranged Attack: 36 x2 (18) Range x0.5 vs Cavalry
Hand Attack: 18
Siege Attack: 75
Speed: 4
60% Ranged Resist
3.0 ROF

11 Altaic Bombarders for 1200 gold (Russia/Ottoman/French/British/Port)

"Were surrounded.........this simplifies things." - Chesty Puller USMC 1950

"Let your plans be dark and as impenatrable as night, and when you move, fall like a lightning-bolt." - Sun Tzu
AuthorReplies:
Shizzle
Skirmisher
posted 04-08-06 06:35 AM EDT (US)     26 / 51       
There should be more versatile mercs. Like a deployable unit that can deploy anywhere and spit out some kind of unique (siege) unit. If you kill it he wont be sending units. It should have extreme ranged resistance. This would make the game more dynamic. I hope they wont put in another jaegerlike merc.
Dieneces
Skirmisher
posted 04-08-06 07:40 AM EDT (US)     27 / 51       
I hope they don't. I'd rather see a shipment of 2 or 3 artillery mercs.
justiw
Skirmisher
posted 04-08-06 11:04 AM EDT (US)     28 / 51       
I like the idea of grenadier mercs. I don't think they would be OP either. How many people think grenadiers are OP now? They are pretty easy to counter so I see no real issue with making this a new merc.

P.S. @ ub3r: Your initial posts are normally fine, but you overreact when people disagree with you. If someone flames you just ignore it or ask them for specific reasons why they disagree with you. That way at least your replys will be constructive and you might convince the people that disagree with you to be constructive too. Fighting fire with fire generally doesn't work too well.

Counter the attack, then Counter Attack!!!
Maffia
AoE3H Seraph
(id: fred_ernie)
posted 04-08-06 01:14 PM EDT (US)     29 / 51       

Quote:

And Patrick your the only person who has that on the bottom of thier message so i figured you edited it,

I beg to differ, patrick copied me.

This month I have mostly been playing Zelda Breath of the Wild
Steam - Maffia GFWL - Maffia01 YouTube - HGMaffia Twitter - @HGMaffia
Age of Empires 3 Heaven Seraph

What is this life if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare.
[This message hasn't been edited by fred_ernie (or Maffia) (not edited 12-29-2005 @ 09:57 AM).]
ub3r
Skirmisher
posted 04-08-06 02:18 PM EDT (US)     30 / 51       
Thanks for the input justiw.

Grenaider Merc wouldnt be so bad. I also think 75 siege is just fine, think of it if they had 100 siege just 9 of them would do more damage than 13 swiss pikes. Plus they have (18) Range, which wouldnt be bad with 36 ranged attack x 2 is awesome already, IMO. If they have higher siege damage, i think they would have a lower range resist.

If you mixed these guys up w regular grenaiders and some HI, or meat shield they would pwn.

"Let your plans be dark and as impenatrable as night, and when you move, fall like a lightning-bolt." - Sun Tzu
sheepraider
Skirmisher
posted 04-08-06 05:12 PM EDT (US)     31 / 51       
what about an age 3 mortar merc for port :P
ub3r
Skirmisher
posted 04-08-06 05:15 PM EDT (US)     32 / 51       
A Mortar Merc lol.

That would be great. Why not a Merc Great Bombard?

Just picture an 800mm seige cannon 3 times the size of a GB. You would get 3 for 3000 gold lol.

On a more serious note, i dont think ES will make Artillery mercs in the expansion.

Jumbalaya
Skirmisher
posted 04-08-06 05:17 PM EDT (US)     33 / 51       
err...duh. Would be way too strong considering how hard it is to kill cannons anyways if the other player has decent mirco.
King_Ali_Skahir
Skirmisher
posted 04-08-06 08:10 PM EDT (US)     34 / 51       
Archer Mercs such as Welsh Longbowman.

Scottish Targe-and-swordman which is basically acts like a huskarl, resistant to ranged attacks from Infantry, cavalry, and buildings. Weak against artillery and light artillery such as grenadiers, and Abus gun.

Nepalese Gurkhas, which act as Super-jannissaries, they use the Kukri sword in melee, and a musket for range.

Moughul Mahout, a Mounted skirmisher which rides atop an Elephant, switch to melee to cause trample damage with a splash radius such as a Cuirassier. Good against Infantry, resistant to artillery, and ranged attacks. (Sends infantry flying when they get killed by it)

Korean Rocket Wagon, like an Uberfied Organ gun, shoots multiple rockets at a time causing a great deal of siege damage over a wide area.

Chinese Tigermen a spearman dressed in a tiger suit to scare cavalry, good vs cavalry, fast and lightly armored, like a rodelero.

Chinese Chu-ko-nu that's right their back from AOK, and they fire multiple Rocket-arrows to devastate infantry and buildings alike, think of them as Super-Abusguns.

Please give me your opinion on the Fall Of Mankind!!! Ultimate Zidane Video

Glory To the revolution!!!

O=[[[[[[[]]]]]]]=-------,
Get Hooked

LO12DS_Mist
Skirmisher
posted 04-08-06 08:16 PM EDT (US)     35 / 51       

Quote:

gets immature so much he doesnt read the peoples posts that disagree with him. (that means EVERYONE)

Yeah, that is a problem, isn't it...

Quote:

Did ES not make a Merc version of the Grenaider on purpose?

Would they be too l33t?

Just imagine a Middle-Eastern like unit with 450 health lobing grenades for 36 ranged attack with x2 splash.

Maybe there aren't artillery mercs for a reason? Notice all the other mercs are super versions of mainline cav or infantry units, not artillery units.

IMO, artillery mercs would be too powerful. They would be redundant, too...what would merc grens be able to do that swiss pikes can't? Grens really only excel at taking out buildings and doing some minor splash to infantry. Swiss pikes and ronin are way better, IMO it would just create more noob complaints that gren mercs are so damn UP.

Stophon4
Skirmisher
posted 04-08-06 08:18 PM EDT (US)     36 / 51       
Stonewall, by pointing out his flaming, you are flaming yourself, as am I for pointing that out, and so will every other person who replies to my post, argh, use email!

Annyway they would need to have like 200 siege attack

"Dutch are OP!"
"Iriquois are OP!"
"Stophon is OP!"

tEk Clan #1 US Clan
The Bob
Skirmisher
posted 04-08-06 09:19 PM EDT (US)     37 / 51       
i reckon gren mercs is actually a damn cool idea

i mean its basically what i use swiss pikes for now and the main reason i dont use grens is cause i play spain

LembasBread
Skirmisher
posted 04-09-06 01:22 AM EDT (US)     38 / 51       
36 range?! Are you insane? Try 20 - max... grenadiers have 16 range I believe...

"The lembas had a virtue without which they would long ago have lain down to die. . . . this waybread of the Elves had a potency that increased as travelers relied on it alone and did not mingle it with other foods. It fed the will, and it gave strength to endure, and to master sinew and limb beyond the measure of mortal kind."

• "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" by J.R.R. Tolkien

• Hit 2100+ cuetech rating on Sunday, April 17th, 2006

Pagasaeus
Skirmisher
posted 04-09-06 01:31 AM EDT (US)     39 / 51       
Siege/Artillery mercs can be pretty hard to balanced, as are all ranged units. Right now, most people think that the best mercs are Jaegers, H'landers, and BRs - all ranged units.

[This message has been edited by Pagasaeus (edited 04-09-2006 @ 01:31 AM).]

Dieneces
Skirmisher
posted 04-09-06 02:22 AM EDT (US)     40 / 51       

Quote:

36 range?! Are you insane? Try 20 - max... grenadiers have 16 range I believe...

It looks like 36 ranged damage and 18 range to me.

ub3r
Skirmisher
posted 04-09-06 03:55 PM EDT (US)     41 / 51       
What he said ^

I wouldnt mind seeing some Merc Grenaiders, like i said i think you should get like 9 for 1200 gold. Grenaider shipments are usually a smaller number than most other infantry units anyway.

How do you think Gren Mercs would fit into an effective FF?

Would they be a focal point of someones first couple of shipments when they hit fortress?

I think they would be sweet with some anti cav units and some skirms at 9 min ish.

lrd_dmsdy666
Skirmisher
posted 04-09-06 07:55 PM EDT (US)     42 / 51       
I know one of you ppl (forget the name, srry) said that there could be a scottish merc like a huskarl from AoK. I aggree with that, there shuold be a Scottish merc that uses a claymore and buckler, and is like a roldero or dopp(ok so my opininion is slightly different, but so?). Huge bonus vs. Infantry.

Stephen Harper's theme song is Domo Arigato, Mr Roboto!
King_Ali_Skahir
Skirmisher
posted 04-09-06 08:09 PM EDT (US)     43 / 51       
I suggested that, It was a Scottish Targeman. These scottish tribesmen actually gave the redcoats trouble during the 16th century. Since the musketeers would plung their bayonets into the targe and end up loosing their muskets. leaving them vulnerable to the sword.

The Targe was also so thick it could take shots from far away,the targeman would be resistant to ranged attacks, from ALL infantry. It would also have to move fast to close in on the infantry and take it down.

Please give me your opinion on the Fall Of Mankind!!! Ultimate Zidane Video

Glory To the revolution!!!

O=[[[[[[[]]]]]]]=-------,
Get Hooked

[This message has been edited by King_Ali_Skahir (edited 04-09-2006 @ 08:10 PM).]

ub3r
Skirmisher
posted 04-09-06 08:28 PM EDT (US)     44 / 51       
An infantry unit with a bonus to infantry would be interesting, considering mostly all melee units have bonus to cavarly.

ES said there will be new mercs. We just gotta wait and see what kind.

I still think the Mameluke should ride a Camel.

Pagasaeus
Skirmisher
posted 04-09-06 08:31 PM EDT (US)     45 / 51       
Mameluks didn't fight on camels.
ub3r
Skirmisher
posted 04-09-06 08:56 PM EDT (US)     46 / 51       
I could have sworn they were on Camels in AOK.

EDIT: They most certainly did fight on Camels when they occupied egypt fromt he 13th century to the 16 century.

[This message has been edited by ub3r (edited 04-09-2006 @ 08:57 PM).]

Pagasaeus
Skirmisher
posted 04-09-06 10:32 PM EDT (US)     47 / 51       
That's only in AoK, which is historically inaccurate in many areas, including the portrayal of Mameluks. Mameluks fought on horses 95% of the time.
ub3r
Skirmisher
posted 04-10-06 05:02 PM EDT (US)     48 / 51       
I wouldnt say 95 % of the time. They certainly did utilize horses more than Camels but they did ride predominantly on camels from 1260-1500.

The Saracens were dank.

Pagasaeus
Skirmisher
posted 04-10-06 08:40 PM EDT (US)     49 / 51       
The fact is: no they didn't. The incorrect notion that they did is bad history due to computer games.
ub3r
Skirmisher
posted 04-11-06 10:56 PM EDT (US)     50 / 51       
Im absolutely sure they did. They DEFINETELY used them in convoys, and to bring support. Camels fared WAY better in the desert than a horse.

Egypt consists of vast desert, which all cavarly soldiers were forced to use Camels to travel thru those arid desserts.

Zorba the Greek
Skirmisher
posted 04-12-06 00:45 AM EDT (US)     51 / 51       
Heya,

yes the French do get grenaders, I like em!

They add up to 24 altogether I think, and when they get the old guard status, they can pack a whallop!

Muskets, Skirmishers, and Pikemen on the front line, Cross Bowmen next, then Cannons and last behind them the grenaders....

Just one itsy bitsy problem, with all of the above I tend to forget to throw in Calvary before i run out of pop. lol

The Grenaders realy do help allot, and when they are in the enemies base, they can en mass take down building pretty quick.

I dont think we need any other grenaders, than what can already be produced, I hope that in any future balancing that no one unit becomes so good that it gets the spam status of one unit wonder...been there done that in TA lol.

Zorba.

I have not yet began to fight!

John Paul Jones, Captain of the Bonhomme Richard.

http://www.agecommunity.com/stats/EntityStats.aspx?loc=en-US&EntityName=John_Paul_Jones2&md=ZS_Supremacy

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames