Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.16 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » The Ultimate Raider
Bottom
Topic Subject:The Ultimate Raider
Toysoldier14
Skirmisher
posted 04-10-06 09:29 PM EDT (US)         
Hello,

This thread exposes only my opinion, but I'd love to hear your opinions on this subject.

I have been playing as the Dutch lately, and over some games have found the Ruyters they give you as extremely good raiders. They are super fast and as I have read, "they are the lightweight version of the Dragoon."

So I brought up my old British HC and tried some Dragoons against an Expert AI player. The AI in this game isn't great, but the Expert AI is still enough to whoop you. Anyways, as I have found, they are Settler SLAUGHTERERS! They simply own settlers if you get 15-20 and micromanage them. Plus, they are far and away fast enough to run from infantry, and if Cavalry are chasing you, circle around and kill them, Dragoons do counter them, after all.

So, why am I saying this? I remember multiple threads a while ago about Dragoons and how they are "Under Powered" but, if you have a priest back at your town, 15-20 can easily hand your opponent's butt to them on a silver plate, seasoned with their broken economy.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Toy

I reject your reality, and substatute my own!
AuthorReplies:
timmac
Skirmisher
posted 04-10-06 09:46 PM EDT (US)     1 / 16       
they kill villagers too slowly, however can move fast and are good for keeping your villagers in the tc, so i guess you can say they do a decent raiding job for their price and stats
Solartinum
Skirmisher
posted 04-10-06 09:46 PM EDT (US)     2 / 16       
No offense, but I highly doubt this is going to do much good against a human of decent ability (expert AI is totally incompetent at handling raids). Dragoons are nowhere near uber raiders, 15-20 will kill two vils a round if you're lucky, and even the most brain-dead person will easily ring bell or send pikes after at most 3-4 villagers are dead.

At the point of the game where you can afford to get 20 dragoons, killing those 3-4 vils is not gonna affect the opponent much at all, and if he's decent he'll probably pick that moment to attack your base or conduct some raids of his own, preferably with hussars/uhlans/opris, or, the true ultimate raider, hackapells.

Two other minor points: 1) Priests are rarely used online (I think I might have seen them used twice in 300+ games) and 2) Dragoons are definitely not underpowered.

Toysoldier14
Skirmisher
posted 04-10-06 09:52 PM EDT (US)     3 / 16       
Thanks for the replies,

Solartium, if you upgrade the Dragoons, they become much faster at killing villagers. Even if the opponent rings the Town Center's bell and sends pikes, run away. While the settlers are standing in the Town Center, they sure as heck aren't gathering resources, now are they?

Too bad about the priests thing. ES should boost them somehow.

Thanks
Toy

Adam42
Skirmisher
posted 04-10-06 09:53 PM EDT (US)     4 / 16       
Melee cav is always better for raiding imo, because of that nasty 0.5 penalty that all ranged cav has against villagers. Also, while you are shooting at villie they can run where they want, if they are surrounded by hand cavalry they tend to just go all retarded and walk back and forth.

For me I think the raiding hierarchy goes like this: Oprichniks>Spahi>Cuirassiers>Uhlans>Hussars/Coss acks>WW>other ranged cav>everything else

Doggiedoodle
Skirmisher
posted 04-10-06 10:52 PM EDT (US)     5 / 16       
Rodoleros are better raiders than any ranged cav.

This is a forged signature.

A wise Camasp once said, "When in doubt, assasinate everyone."

Pagasaeus
Skirmisher
posted 04-10-06 10:56 PM EDT (US)     6 / 16       
Hackapells are the best raiders. One time I took out 30 vills against a human opponent in a single raid.
Toysoldier14
Skirmisher
posted 04-10-06 11:11 PM EDT (US)     7 / 16       
Well, I guess I'll take your word for it, guys! :P

I am a rather new player, but I am interested in developing my own tactics. I just found that the Ruyters are so damn fast, nothing can really catch up!

Thanks,
Toy

ddemers
Skirmisher
posted 04-10-06 11:36 PM EDT (US)     8 / 16       
I think I killed about 30-40 settlers in a 3vs3 match today with Marmalukes (sp?). Those 5 Horses were worth the little 1200 gold.

I have never had that much luck in raiding, but I had found some lucky spots and those dam tanks have a lot of xp so they lasted forever

[EEX] Nullpointer
Canadian Gamer
LembasBread
Skirmisher
posted 04-11-06 00:01 AM EDT (US)     9 / 16       
They simply don't do enough damage. I think that uhlan are better. They are like turma from Age of Mythology.

"The lembas had a virtue without which they would long ago have lain down to die. . . . this waybread of the Elves had a potency that increased as travelers relied on it alone and did not mingle it with other foods. It fed the will, and it gave strength to endure, and to master sinew and limb beyond the measure of mortal kind."

• "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" by J.R.R. Tolkien

• Hit 2100+ cuetech rating on Sunday, April 17th, 2006

Peej
Skirmisher
posted 04-11-06 08:36 AM EDT (US)     10 / 16       
Dragoons under powered????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????

no way jorge

__--**""**--__
''--______--''
Peej the Saint
Red Sox Fan Official Idea maker? What I've done "Thank you, and have a nice day" Eso- Peej_the_Saint
KingSteve3721
Skirmisher
posted 04-11-06 05:41 PM EDT (US)     11 / 16       
um....no
ultimate raider
Oprichnik

no contest

the ruyters are ranged and too slow at killing vills/buildings.

ub3r
Skirmisher
posted 04-11-06 11:00 PM EDT (US)     12 / 16       
give the guy a break he is new.

"Were surrounded.........this simplifies things." - Chesty Puller USMC 1950

"Let your plans be dark and as impenatrable as night, and when you move, fall like a lightning-bolt." - Sun Tzu
KingSteve3721
Skirmisher
posted 04-11-06 11:03 PM EDT (US)     13 / 16       
"give the guy a break he is new."

maybe i should just give you a break too because you are new?
i didnt say anything mean there, did i toysoldier?

lets let him decide, you arent him are you?

Toysoldier14
Skirmisher
posted 04-12-06 00:01 AM EDT (US)     14 / 16       
Haha, guys don't argue over me! Hahaha.

You didn't say anything mean, King Steve, but thanks for stating that I'm new ub3r Nice of 'yah.

Sorry, I have really only tried the Dutch and British, so I guess it's not time for me to make a new thread about this yet that, I'll leave it to the professionals!

Thanks for the replies guys.
Toy

ummBeefy
Skirmisher
posted 04-12-06 02:28 AM EDT (US)     15 / 16       
Opris are the best beacuse of the price and villager and building damage. You can alway take out a factory w/ massed opris, not to mention finish off their entire eco or at least a isolated tc and those villagers.

Cuirs are the next best imo. They are strong, kill villagers very quickly and are fast.

Adam42
Skirmisher
posted 04-12-06 06:47 AM EDT (US)     16 / 16       
Spahi >>>> cuirassiers
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames