You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.16 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Germans >> French... What can I do?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Germans >> French... What can I do?
somme
Skirmisher
posted 04-11-06 09:15 AM EDT (US)         
Well, I went and played 3 games as French this morning and they were all against Germans and I have to say every game I felt like I was fighting an uphill battle against a superior civ from the start.(even though I won one)

Here were some of the factors that killed me:

-He starts with a stronger eco and has the 2 settler wagon
card in age 1 putting him well in the lead eco wise.

-The free uhlans with shipments, I send 9 skirms and he gets 9 skirms and 3 uhlans.

-The mercs, he gets more for the same price.

Is there any advantage the French have that they can use to win because as far as I see they are outclassed in pretty much every way in a ff war and they are now too slow to rush even with natives.

When I asked this question in the expert chat channel they just said you have to play better and there's not much you can do. Though they did give some useful tips for killing those bastard blackriders that seem to kill anything...

ESO : Pcfreak8
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." -Jan L. A. van de Snepscheu
A pessimist is usually right and never disappointed.
Any history buff knows that nothing stops a cannon like a good uppercut. - BeatnikJoe
AuthorReplies:
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 04-11-06 09:28 AM EDT (US)     1 / 16       
survive till industrial. But dont worry, most civs have problems vs french and german

"such a kind fellow!" ~ ķįŋğ_Ćħŗĩ_ĬĬ

Furby killer should be crowned leader of AOE forum ~ [SW_GD]Teutonic

Angel Walker
Skirmisher
(id: Just a player)
posted 04-11-06 09:48 AM EDT (US)     2 / 16       
That is cause Germans are OP... and Spain too...

against germans I'm trying new strats to cripple their economy... but its kind of hard when they launch 20 Ulahns at you just after they had FF...

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
"Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.
LembasBread
Skirmisher
posted 04-11-06 11:14 AM EDT (US)     3 / 16       
Ship out 8 pike to protect from uhlan raids. Just camp them by your vills. French got nerfed too hard IMO. I think that spain and german civs arn't OP, but since FF is so popular and they do it best, they are the best civ to use right now. Nerf FF and they fall into line.

"The lembas had a virtue without which they would long ago have lain down to die. . . . this waybread of the Elves had a potency that increased as travelers relied on it alone and did not mingle it with other foods. It fed the will, and it gave strength to endure, and to master sinew and limb beyond the measure of mortal kind."

• "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" by J.R.R. Tolkien

• Hit 2100+ cuetech rating on Sunday, April 17th, 2006

somme
Skirmisher
posted 04-11-06 12:47 PM EDT (US)     4 / 16       
My main complaint is just everything they do is better. German has better eco when it matters, better shipments when it matters and better mercs. I just can't really think of a what to do to hold it off as French. I had reasonable success with going age around 8:30 with 23 coureurs and some military and then fighting them off with units I actually built!!! It worked ok but against a player of equal skill you're gonna lose alot.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." -Jan L. A. van de Snepscheu
Any history buff knows that nothing stops a cannon like a good uppercut. - BeatnikJoe
Ossian
Skirmisher
posted 04-11-06 01:10 PM EDT (US)     5 / 16       
ROFL ship 8 pikes? do you even play france? they only have 2 age 2 unit cards, 8 x bows and 3 hussers (both worthless vs cav)

and yes I know what you mean being a huge france player since day 1, What I might suggest is ship 6 goons right away and raid him with 7 skirm and 6 goons (the goons to protect) then build goons and skirms and send 2 falcs all while making villagers.

Remember if he's getting mercs search ALL coin mines and kill as many villagers as you can and keep him bottled up, after he ages you'll have 1 minute to prep for mercs and to counter them, after the first merc and he hasn't killed you you're off very good and have a huge chance to do a full on strike.

but anyways you have to out do him with skill because he has the better civ (france was over nerfed IMO as well)

*WINDOWS CRITICAL ERROR 19891126*
Product ID: Ossian Discontinued
Contact your network admin for more details
about this special edition of player...

Allthough cetans are darker, did you know that if you read the word 'cetan' as a dutch word, that you get the same sound as when reading 'satan' in english.-Furby Killer
dejanh
Skirmisher
posted 04-11-06 01:31 PM EDT (US)     6 / 16       
Yeah, you'll need a lot of skill and a lot of luck in this case. Equally skilled player with germans is going to have an edge. I just slowly restarted playing french and I have noticed definitly the impact of one less cdb. France was over-nerfed. But yeah, it's like Ossian said, you will need to build goons and skirms to counter most of his stuff, that's about all I can think of...

(\__/) This is bunny.
(O.o ) Copy him in your signature to
(> < ) help him conquer the world!
MNBob
Skirmisher
posted 04-11-06 01:41 PM EDT (US)     7 / 16       
Compare France to all of the other civs besides Germany and Spain and they are not over-nerfed. Germany and Spain have simply risen too far to the top since 1.05.

Abus Guns and Grenadiers ARE NOT ARTILLERY!
MNBob's AOE Page
ultimitsu
Skirmisher
posted 04-11-06 02:35 PM EDT (US)     8 / 16       
i said it many times before, german and french are the basically same civ in 1.05, it is just german is the stronger version.

but to beat german you need to realise german's weaknesses.

1, single explorer vs explorer + scout. firstly on maps with lots of sheeps/cows, you have better chance in getting them, than him, secondly if you find him, half wounded, kill him, if he cant make tradepost, his FF will be less powerful.

2, unlike french, german's strong eco comes with price of houses, german can often run into houses problem, 3 wagon + 2 uhlan shipment cost 1 house. this isnt something that you can easily take advantage of, but as long as you know this problem exist, you can sometimes mess up his rhythm so that he may run into it.

SLEAK
Skirmisher
posted 04-11-06 02:44 PM EDT (US)     9 / 16       
I have to admit... I'm working on a strat right now wtih germs... and it beat 2k'ers. Its a kinda of semi FF, then get military/1 merc shipment. Put 3 tc's up, the settler wagon card, BOOM. They have no chance of killing you (unless its that darn spanish FF, im still working for the counter :\!) French have no advantage no advantage over Germany.

subliminal messages
Can you find it...?

Chuck Norris.

somme
Skirmisher
posted 04-11-06 03:04 PM EDT (US)     10 / 16       
Well I just beat an 1800 German, though I'm 1950 so not that impressive. I aged at 7:35 with 21 coureurs and a trading post.

He beat off my skirms, muskets and cannons with uhlans and skirms. Then he shipped jaegers while I shipped swiss pikes while I continued villager production. He bought the jaegers near my base and then pulled them back when he spotted my swiss pikes near his base. I quickly pulled the swiss pikes away and went after his tp. He sent the jaegers to try and kill my pikes and ended up running into 9 curs, 4 shipped and 5 built.

dejanh
Skirmisher
posted 04-11-06 03:22 PM EDT (US)     11 / 16       
@MNBob - yeah, you are right, I was thinking in reference to Germany and Spain, but yeah, in reference to other civs, they can play competitively still =) I find that port have a bit of an edge on french too, but maybe that's just me...I think that they have an edge against everyone who does not deal a serrious blow to them early on... O_o

(\__/) This is bunny.
(O.o ) Copy him in your signature to
(> < ) help him conquer the world!

[This message has been edited by dejanh (edited 04-11-2006 @ 03:23 PM).]

MNBob
Skirmisher
posted 04-11-06 03:31 PM EDT (US)     12 / 16       
Given two equally skilled players, there will most likely always be some civ matchups that favor one civ over another.

For example, as Portugal, I think a 1v1 match up against Dutch is very difficult. It's hard for the Port player to do enough early damage to the Dutch player. Both civs then boom and Dutch can take advantage of its superior military size.

Portugal/France is an interesting match up. On the surface Portugal seems to have the right counters for France, has better musketeers and Guard Cassadore/Volt Skirm kind of cancels each other. While the Port player could stick to a typical Port strategy, the French player would probably have to modify their strategy somewhat which gives an edge to Portugal.

Abus Guns and Grenadiers ARE NOT ARTILLERY!
MNBob's AOE Page
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 04-11-06 04:20 PM EDT (US)     13 / 16       
port>>>>dutch

"such a kind fellow!" ~ ķįŋğ_Ćħŗĩ_ĬĬ

Furby killer should be crowned leader of AOE forum ~ [SW_GD]Teutonic

Hoshii
Skirmisher
posted 04-11-06 05:10 PM EDT (US)     14 / 16       
Hey.

I'm a fellow german user. It's kinda true that the French suck til late game but meh...

Anyhow, if you're wondering, Skirms counter Black riders. Just like skirms counter war wagons. Go on the editor and test it out =).

Dops, dragoons, pikemen and such don't counter BR's. Maybe Ruyters due to cost efficiency.

If you're wondering why not goons? They cost alot and BR's are supped up goons so yeh...

somme
Skirmisher
posted 04-12-06 07:12 AM EDT (US)     15 / 16       
Skirms only counter black riders if they have a meatshield such as pikes or muskets otherwise the blackriders just melee.

rel4xed
Skirmisher
posted 04-12-06 07:17 AM EDT (US)     16 / 16       
be agressive, age 7:30 with an ok eco, build mass pikes with cannon support. works vs every german army this early in the game ( they dont get the 2 falconet card, and they probably spend all gold on mercs instead of on culvs).

Greetings, I'm Synthax.
SirKT 2k+ clan
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames