You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.15 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Imperial Gendarmes = t3h L33t !!11!oneone
Bottom
Topic Subject:Imperial Gendarmes = t3h L33t !!11!oneone
Magnum Pi
Skirmisher
posted 04-11-06 07:42 PM EDT (US)         
Holy crap! Those guys are awesome! I just finished playing a french game that I started in order to add an HC level, ordinarily with any other civ, I would have played what I cal; "normally," that is, do a bit of booming, gather up a force of 10-15 or heavy/light infantry, send them on a raid, and then try to get to Age III where I could continue growing my economy to create large armies of infantry, build up a large coin income so I can add quite a few falconets, and then proceed to win slowly but surely by applying continuous pressure on my enemies borders.

But today, I pondered to my self about Cuirassiers, I've heard they where really powerful, and I had only used them scantly, like I did all cavalry, in my past games, so I decieded to myself that I'd try something new. So I configured my deck with the 700 food and 700 gold cards in order to improve my FF, and included, as always, the three mill upgrades, and four plantation cards, because Cuirassiers cost a lot of food and gold. After about 12 min. I reahc Fortress Age, had two stables and one barracks built already, knowing that my army was going to be 90-100% Cuirassiers. Even with a 20% handicap and about 15 CdB on each food and coin, it still took me quite a while to get 20 cuirassiers and 10 vet. musketeers. Once I got that I thought it was time to attack my nearest enemy, who happened to be Maurice of Nausea . It also happened that he had a slightly larger army composed largely of pikeman. I'm afraid to watch! I was pleasantely surprised to see that after killing maybe 2025 (edited) pikes, my musketeers where untouched and cuirrys had lost only about 4-5 comrades, and were only slightly scratched. Not bad.

I allow them to continue pillaging his base, killing about 6 villies and destroying maybe three buildings until his ally Ivan came with about 40 halbs... ouch! By the time that was over, I had trained about 15 more currys, but instead of rushing them in, I kept them around for defense as I tried to get to Industrial. Skipping ahead a little, I get to Industrial just as Frederick and Ivan (both were enemies) reach Imperial. Not good. I continued to expand my economy, especially with the two plantation techs, and I had to wait a while before I could get to Imperial because my weakling ally Henry kept needing any currys (then gendarmes) I could possibly make. Finally, Imperial! Henry had to help himself a little while I got the capital resource upgrades. At this point I had about 20 CdB on food and gold, and 10 on wood, although I needed to divide my food vills amoung wood and gole inorder to upgrade my gendarmes, it was expensice.

But it turned out to be well worth it, I checked my gendarme's statuses and almost passed out: 950 hp, with 57 building/melee/gaurdian attack with 2 trample area! I gotta see these guys in action! So with about 30 gen.s to help defend Henry again, who was almost dead, I ride over and watch Suleiman's petty janisarries and Fredericks insignificant ulhans get trampled to their death! (Somewhat literally.) Now I new my teammates and I were getting somewhere. Leaving and maintaining an army of 20 imperial gen.s to defend Henry, I spammed up 30 more gens which put me at my pop limit.

Ivan, my enemy, and Elizabeth, my ally, had been in an on-going stalemate for some time with enormous armies heading back and forth, but no one getting the upper hand, untill I joined in. 30 imp. gens and Beth's longbows were enough to stop Ivan's raids and allow us to do some raiding ourselves! I had to keep reinforcing with my two forward forts, but he was eventually knocked out (partly because I gave up on Henry and had a maintained army of 50 imp. gens attacking Ivan). Well, to make a long story short (maybe I've alread failed ) I kept the pressure using an army of entirelly imp. gens and where my allies couldn't continue, I finished. Maurice was very weak when I got to him, 25 imp gens and he was begging for mercy. Frederick was the strongest. He cranked out a seemingly endless stream of dopples, ulhans, flacs, and skirms, all at imperial status. But about 20 minutes more of imp gens punching him, and he quit. Suleiman was strong but not as much, 40 imp gens slashing and trampling his army and 10 unchallenged ones chowing his villies and TCs for dinner eventually got him.

After all this it seems impossible that imp gen spamming would not be an inevitable road to victory, posibly that's true, but the trouble is getting there. So much booming is required, that a small age II or even age III rush would have done me in for good, the only reason I got away with it was because Maurice's and Frederick's rush were both directed at poor Henry. That game was so long but so awesome, I feel like a frenchman myself even hours after playing it, and somehow I can't get words like "Trebejong" and "CHARJEEEE!!" (I know the're spelled wrong) out of my head! And to think I was about to ruin the experience by playing with RoN's cuirrasiers, yuck!

[This message has been edited by Magnum Pi (edited 04-17-2006 @ 07:02 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Senor Bobbers
Skirmisher
posted 04-11-06 07:47 PM EDT (US)     1 / 15       
You made 6 paragraphs about this? Everyone knows this its obvious oi. Waste of time really... Though heres a question, you "found out" that they're "leet" but what are you gonna do when people spam cuirassiers ar YOU? lol
ZinkOxide
Skirmisher
posted 04-11-06 08:10 PM EDT (US)     2 / 15       
you spelled "food" as "foog".
better hope a Russian won't send opris while you teear up his ally.

I won a thread!
CROSS REMOVED BY REQUEST OF MODS
Blood weighs more than tears.
heystopthat
Skirmisher
posted 04-11-06 08:17 PM EDT (US)     3 / 15       
lol, good read. 4 Plantation cards and capitol gathering techs FTW!
N_E_Patriots
Skirmisher
posted 04-11-06 08:34 PM EDT (US)     4 / 15       
Oh i love dopplesoldners

I lost in the AOE3H FRR
Support Gay Pride!
Michael Jackson is innocent!
I smell.
Sobreathy
Skirmisher
posted 04-11-06 08:43 PM EDT (US)     5 / 15       
that sounds like an awesome game. Congrats! Its always fun to try out new combos in AoE.

P.S. just watch, now you're going to have a bunch of ppl start telling you how it would not work against good players etc... =D

Peace

How many arabs does it take to change a lightbulb?

None, they sit in the dark and blame it on the jews.

92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig.
Neptune777
Skirmisher
posted 04-11-06 08:45 PM EDT (US)     6 / 15       
We all know where the rainbow goes

Theres no black without the blue Selson blue
timmac
Skirmisher
posted 04-11-06 08:47 PM EDT (US)     7 / 15       
sounds epic o_O

hope you had fun playing, love those drawn out victories with massive battles, i think everyone has to in someway shape or form

AbuseDSumO
Skirmisher
posted 04-11-06 08:59 PM EDT (US)     8 / 15       
Good read. I hope you had fun crushing the wimpy ai! Anyways now you have discovered the l33tness of what is a Gendarme.
Magnum Pi
Skirmisher
posted 04-11-06 09:32 PM EDT (US)     9 / 15       

Quote:

You made 6 paragraphs about this? Everyone knows this its obvious oi. Waste of time really... Though heres a question, you "found out" that they're "leet" but what are you gonna do when people spam cuirassiers ar YOU? lol

Uhhhh... Didn't really think of that, but it is fair game I suppose.

Quote:

you spelled "food" as "foog".

Fixed .

Quote:

P.S. just watch, now you're going to have a bunch of ppl start telling you how it would not work against good players etc... =D

Read the last paragraph again . How much coin would you bet that I would be left alone completely for the first three ages? In a more-probable game I would only be able to implement this strat after a much longer period of time and would be forced to train other soldiers all through out the ages until mid-late Imperial.

ZinkOxide
Skirmisher
posted 04-11-06 09:35 PM EDT (US)     10 / 15       
Plus if I remember right you were repelled at one point. by a bunch of halbs.

I won a thread!
CROSS REMOVED BY REQUEST OF MODS
Blood weighs more than tears.
Magnum Pi
Skirmisher
posted 04-11-06 10:47 PM EDT (US)     11 / 15       
True, they weren't at Imperial status then, but neither were the halbs. Although I did find out later in that game the Imp Gens do pwn gaurd halbs atleast (the AI had not upgraded to Imperial), but considering the halb is a heck of a lot cheaper and the Dutch have a Royal Gaurd upgrade for it, I would say they are cost-effective.

Edit: And, IIRC, a test a while back showed that equally upgraded dopples are not as strong, but also cost-effective against curries.

[This message has been edited by Magnum Pi (edited 04-11-2006 @ 10:49 PM).]

Bobby the 2nd
Skirmisher
posted 04-11-06 10:54 PM EDT (US)     12 / 15       
hmmm, yes, 20 cuirassiers and 10 musketeers pwn 20 pikemen..... ***well, DUH***

but from what you said it sounds like the AI wasnt particularly trying to counter it.

Playing against AI is heaps easier than playing vs human.

"You, know , one day i might move to Scotland. and then get drunk, then paint woad on my face, then run around with a sword and shield until i get arrested,lol." - some history forum user

Winston Churchill was a member of both the 4th Queens Own Hussars and the 21st Lancers. As a a member of the 21st Lancers, he led one of the last british cavalry charges, against the muslims in sudan.

Krator
Skirmisher
posted 04-12-06 02:56 AM EDT (US)     13 / 15       
Against a human opponent you will have 80 Nassau Halberdiers facing your petty 30 Gendarmes. Talk about slaughter.

"Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Dieneces
Skirmisher
posted 04-12-06 03:55 AM EDT (US)     14 / 15       
Yeah, as good as gendarmes are, you're going to always need more units with them. Falcs and Culvs are good, but Cuirs take a lot of population and you might not have much room for artillery. Pitting an army of gendarmes versus tercios, Nassau halbediers, ruyters or doppelsoldners and you're going to go down pretty easily.

Well done, anyway. I wouldn't suggest playing against the AI (but I was bored the other day and actually had a good win as Ports versus Otto on expert) unless you want to try out a new strategy that you're not too sure about, or you want to test decks - but it's always a good feeling to win after a long fight like that. What difficulty were they on?

[This message has been edited by Dieneces (edited 04-12-2006 @ 03:56 AM).]

Magnum Pi
Skirmisher
posted 04-12-06 11:06 AM EDT (US)     15 / 15       

Quote:

What difficulty were they on?

Expert, as always .

Quote:

hmmm, yes, 20 cuirassiers and 10 musketeers pwn 20 pikemen..... ***well, DUH***

It was more like 30 that were fighting me, but strangely, he ran a portion of them away. Talk about stupid. In the Brit game I started recently, I've noticed the AI is a little smarter and doesn't wait until the last possible second to upgrade his units, probably due to Felix's improved AI.

Quote:

Against a human opponent you will have 80 Nassau Halberdiers facing your petty 30 Gendarmes. Talk about slaughter.

Well, true. But if you're at the point in the game where you can constantly replace them, then you'll eventually win against the halbs. Or another tactic is to reinforce an Imp Gen army with just enough units to hold of the halbs, and try to send any remaining Imp Gens to skirmish in his base. It's micro-intensive and not foolproof, but it is effective if you can get away with it .

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames