You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.34 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Hackapell's are great!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Hackapell's are great!
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Burton15
Skirmisher
posted 06-29-06 03:14 AM EDT (US)         
Recently played a quick search game with my germans and on seeing the player against me was of a much lower skill level (lance corpral) i decided i was a good opportunity to try a new stat that i might not try vs a stronger player. I used the church card and the option from the church to pay 4000 coin and get all mercs for free. (btw is this worth doing?) Then i got all the mercs in my deck. Thats every merc card the germans have. Everyone! Everyone individually and as the armies. And attacked him with mass mercs. As me army pilaged through his town losing men as he pumped longbows to try to stop the onslaught, the hackapells were very very strong...taking everything in their wasy! I noticed that after the huge battle ended and he resigned, all i had left was the hackapells. He did a good job. The thing is i havent ever heard anyone talk about how great they are. And they really are fantastic.

Thanks.

P.s. Why in the hackapells picture to the have a pistol like a dragoon or ruyter? When they have an hand attack.

Thanks.

AuthorReplies:
Gambler_Justice
Skirmisher
posted 06-29-06 03:18 AM EDT (US)     1 / 34       

Quote:

P.s. Why in the hackapells picture to the have a pistol like a dragoon or ruyter? When they have an hand attack.

They started using Pistols later on

Oh and Wallenstein Contract is NOT worth it 95% of the time, unless on DM

flying_red_hippo
Skirmisher
posted 06-29-06 03:44 AM EDT (US)     2 / 34       
Umm...if you waited that long...that's no german FF. If I saw my enemy just sitting around massing mercs...Maybe against someone significantly worse then you but anyone near the same skill level. However, I am not sure, never seen anyone wait around to send them all at the same time, normally it is just like br and falcs.1v1 normally aren't games you boom like that, most of the time they are rush. If you mass...mercs...your opponent might not expect however, larege amounts of falcs (6)=3k of resources and less time. 1k worth of meatshield and I think that that would do ok.It would take such a long time to get that and so much pop. that your oppoent may even have hc, and you have over 100 pop. of mercs. = less villagers.(i suck btw so...this is just my opinion)

on topic:wallenstiens: I wouldn't
Hackapells-way 2 little hp. Look good but towers own them.(even these guys:Check the 7th reply, (well maybe only Walkers stretets could do it but still.)

and...your opponent, a brit., by the time you got all of that, should have had a way better eco, as you would have had to waited a while to get to age 4 and ship all of that. If they still were lagging behind well...shows you they were not near as good as you.(they prob. were my skill lvl.)

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.-Dune
Data: Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
~On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog.~
Even if you do go into a coma, you can still keep posting to Usenet -- everyone else does.

La Mia Stupido Cosa

[This message has been edited by flying_red_hippo (edited 06-29-2006 @ 03:54 AM).]

Gomezd
Skirmisher
posted 06-29-06 04:19 AM EDT (US)     3 / 34       
Hackpells are somewhat useless, they have too little hp and even tho they have great attack they will probly die before doing much, they cant raid because towers own them and they have poor siege, I only really seem them being usefull against a very small army, or as simply kamikaze cav to get rid of some cannons, but even then they will probly die before getting there.
A Dutchman
Skirmisher
posted 06-29-06 04:24 AM EDT (US)     4 / 34       
Mayby its just stupid but if you use some cards or upgrades for your Hackapells they can have a large attack and good HP..

Such as Cavalry Cuirass (Arsenal), some German cards for increased cavalry HP and/or attack and the tech at the Commanche Trade Post.. of is that just worthless? I mean, it boosts your other cavalry units as well.. (For germans its means better WW or better free Uhlans).

Who was the first that forged the deadly blade? Of rugged steel his savage soul was made -- Tibullus
akin
Skirmisher
posted 06-29-06 05:00 AM EDT (US)     5 / 34       
Well, I know people think Hacks are useless but they are really great against skirms etc., or killing falconets. They have the benefits when you use them along with jeagers/or your 8 skirm shipment. Of course, using Black riders along with them is pretty good but all I am saying is that using hackapells along with some other army is a good way to kill some strelets or longbows or dumbass cassadors. Black riders cant do that, or kill more skirms for ya. Hacks are also pretty good against enemy cav, though not as good as BR. However, I must admit that I dont feel that strong about them, though I have them on my deck...

Keep on the sunny side of life
ESO:Akin
Earl Samsca
Skirmisher
posted 06-29-06 06:32 AM EDT (US)     6 / 34       
Hackapells->Good for Germany, crap for just about everyone else. 8 is good value for money, 6 is frankly.. not.
ca_aok
Skirmisher
posted 06-29-06 10:10 AM EDT (US)     7 / 34       
They're great villager raiders, and would fare OK against an army of LI when supported, but in general they aren't that great.

|Ca_aok|HG Seraph wannabe|
|{ca_aok@hotmail.com}|
|{ESO2: [EEX] ca_aok}|
O-- Member of EEX, and former member of LKS --O
In the Darkness, there is Light, in the Old, there is New.
From the Void a New Star rises, Shining down for Me and You.
Angel Walker
Skirmisher
(id: Just a player)
posted 06-29-06 10:13 AM EDT (US)     8 / 34       
True... 8 Hackapells are great imo - its 33.33333...% more than other civs get... even more than their Jaegers (30% more).

I do not use them (because I don't play Germany), but they aren't as weak as people think. 6 Hackapells can beat 5 Mameluks.

And they own in Great Plains

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
"Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.
Jumbalaya
Skirmisher
posted 06-29-06 12:13 PM EDT (US)     9 / 34       
If you see a german player with a church go and destroy it

lol im jumby
KingSteve3721
Skirmisher
posted 06-29-06 12:18 PM EDT (US)     10 / 34       
1. Walenstein contracts sucka, if you were smart enough, you'd figure out why.

2. Hackapells suck also. What, 121 attack but they have like, 200 hp? pretty dumb IMO, improved version of the uhlan.

3. like pther people said, 8 for germany is good.

[FeaR]{KingSteve3721}
“I love my name of honor, more than I fear death.”- Julius Caesar
"The Pope! How many divisions has he got?"- Joseph Stalin
"The hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain."- Napoleon Bonaparte
"Dogs, would you live forever?"- Frederick the Great (addressing retreating Prussians at the Battle of Kolin)
Aoe3Wolverine
Skirmisher
posted 06-29-06 12:42 PM EDT (US)     11 / 34       
Wallenstein as a general rule is dumb. However, merc loyalty reduces the cost of it, which can be reduced further if you're on GP and have a commanche TP. But sending a card so you reduce the price of a tech that you need to send a card for that makes shipments free is a dumb idea.

Hacks really aren't that great unless you can keep them alive for a long period of time, or you happen to encounter 10 jaegers by themselves.

Burton15
Skirmisher
posted 06-29-06 02:45 PM EDT (US)     12 / 34       
Hi again. I have to go back on what i said at the start. Hackapells suck! All 8 got finished by 15 muskets! 15!

God. Time to get those jaegars back into my deck!

LO12DS_Mist
Skirmisher
posted 06-29-06 02:57 PM EDT (US)     13 / 34       
What kind of idiot would send hackapells at muskets?

Oh, right...

I am Rumour Kontrol.
KingSteve3721
Skirmisher
posted 06-29-06 03:03 PM EDT (US)     14 / 34       

Quote:

What kind of idiot would send hackapells at muskets?
Oh, right...

btw burton, hackepells are only good at flanking artillery, or raiding

[FeaR]{KingSteve3721}
"The hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain."- Napoleon Bonaparte
"Dogs, would you live forever?"- Frederick the Great (addressing retreating Prussians at the Battle of Kolin)
radradrobotanks
Skirmisher
posted 06-29-06 04:32 PM EDT (US)     15 / 34       
Well, lets look at how the attack of a hackapell relates to the hp of a villager.

121 (hackapell attack) to 120 (villager hp).

It looks like Ensemble must have intended these guys to be raiders, and the rate of one villager dead per unit every 1.5 seconds, I'd say that these guys are pretty good. Oprichniks get one villager every 3 seconds.

brandnizzle
Skirmisher
posted 06-29-06 05:17 PM EDT (US)     16 / 34       
villagers have 150hp(20 meele resistance), cdb's have 180(40 ranegd resistance),settler wagons have 300(30 ranegd resistance).
KingSteve3721
Skirmisher
posted 06-29-06 05:20 PM EDT (US)     17 / 34       

Quote:

It looks like Ensemble must have intended these guys to be raiders, and the rate of one villager dead per unit every 1.5 seconds, I'd say that these guys are pretty good. Oprichniks get one villager every 3 seconds.

wrong.

vills have .2 melee resistance, so no, that is wrong. it would take 2 whacks of the hackapell sword to down a vill. and the guy might have great coat, which would prove it wrong also. (most players do get great coat)

[FeaR]{KingSteve3721}
akin
Skirmisher
posted 06-30-06 02:20 AM EDT (US)     18 / 34       
Going back to the point, my hacks can protect my 8 skirm shipment from enemy uhlans or other cav, or enemy longbows, strelets, Lancers, etc. etc. They kill 15 or more muskets because you see, I am sending them with 8 shipment skirms+6 aging up skirms=15 skirms. AND, if the enemy has nothing but light infantry, gg. Black riders dont do too good against infantry.
Playing against spanish, I most definitely pick Black riders because they have 20 or so pikes, which is not good for hacks health . BR can shoot and run back to base, which makes the lancers and pikes and falconets sick to stomach.

Keep on the sunny side of life
ESO:Akin

[This message has been edited by akin (edited 06-30-2006 @ 02:23 AM).]

Burton15
Skirmisher
posted 06-30-06 03:07 AM EDT (US)     19 / 34       
Once again you witty 'pro's' tyring to bully me. Why dont you just add me to your friends list and you can show me how good you are! I didnt know not to send them vs muskets...i do know. Im still learning to use mercs! Please.
Killersquirrel
Skirmisher
posted 06-30-06 03:12 AM EDT (US)     20 / 34       

Quote:

Once again you witty 'pro's' tyring to bully me. Why dont you just add me to your friends list and you can show me how good you are! I didnt know not to send them vs muskets...i do know. Im still learning to use mercs! Please.

The same rules apply to mercs as normal units, don't send cav into heavy infantry, dont send heavy infantry into light infantry, dont send light infantry at cav, etc.
Although I still agree they shouldn't be attacking you.

Anyways, just try and keep them out of fights, try and use them to kill cannon (2 kill a cannon in one hit) and definately use them to raid.

Bill: Bob, I see troops advancing.
Bob: Damn, I can't get my grenades to light. Get over here and block the wind.
Bill: Do you hear gunshots?
Bob: I'm running out of matches. Hurry up.
bill: They just shanked john.
bob: He'll be dearly missed. Now help me ligh-
Burton15
Skirmisher
posted 06-30-06 03:16 AM EDT (US)     21 / 34       
Thanks KillerS. Im still learning this game and although have the basic graft and concepts of the game, havent the greatest skill. Im still only a 2nd Lieut. Anyway thanks will use this info.

Thanks.

exe163
Skirmisher
posted 06-30-06 08:29 AM EDT (US)     22 / 34       

Quote:

The same rules apply to mercs as normal units, don't send cav into heavy infantry, dont send heavy infantry into light infantry, dont send light infantry at cav, etc.
Although I still agree they shouldn't be attacking you.

Anyways, just try and keep them out of fights, try and use them to kill cannon (2 kill a cannon in one hit) and definately use them to raid.

lite inf owns ranged cav if they dont melee you, range cav can take out all pike without losing 1 hp. then your statment is pretty much not true

LO12DS_Mist
Skirmisher
posted 06-30-06 08:41 AM EDT (US)     23 / 34       
Hackapells are best as raiders. Their HP is high enough to take numerous shots from buildings and still get their job done. I'd rather have hackapells than mamelukes raiding because, if the opponent tries garrisoning, with hackapells he'll nearly always lose vils, with mamelukes thats not always true.

The same rule doesn't apply to uhlans, however, because their HP is so low that they die in one or two shots, its still not high enough to be effective as hackapells.

Try raiding with 6 hackapells and 6 hussars. Pair every hackapell with a hussar when you raid, you'll be killing a vil every alternate hit. Also, its a bit difficult to target the hackapells next to hussars, the hussars look very similar when they're bunched up and also are slightly larger than the hackapells. Their speed makes it hard to click the right unit.

(I use this as dutch. Believe me, it works, I killed about 20 of a Russian's vils doing this, and only lost 2 hackapells in about 5 raids.)

I am Rumour Kontrol.
Newb At AOE
Skirmisher
posted 06-30-06 01:36 PM EDT (US)     24 / 34       
I find Mameluke's and Hackapel's the best mix. Why? Because when the Hackapell's are finished, you still got Mamelukes to take any buildings out that give them an unfair advantage.
LO12DS_Mist
Skirmisher
posted 06-30-06 01:44 PM EDT (US)     25 / 34       
Which civ gets mamelukes AND hackapells?

In age 3, of course.

I am Rumour Kontrol.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames