You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.6 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Trying to undo the dreadful effects of patch 1.07 and I need your help!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Trying to undo the dreadful effects of patch 1.07 and I need your help!
Magnum Pi
Skirmisher
posted 07-02-06 03:10 PM EDT (US)         
I've tried several things and now I'm asking for your help. I recently installed pathc 1.07, because I needed it in order to d/l the Naploeonic Era mod. NE was pretty well-done, but it wasn't really my thing, so I eventually uninstalled it. I also didn't like most of the changes that were done in patch 1.07 (notably that horrible window that comes up each time you pause the game) so I attempted to uninstall that as well. I have been able to do that.

Now my problem is that certain, normal game features simply don't work anymore. I cannot send chats, I can't take screenshots, and I can't pause the game at all. I use the pause feature often to micromanage, and I tend to take screenshots of my spectacular battles, or send commands to my allies, so I'm really ticked that these features don't work anymore.

Some more information that maybe helpful here is that:

• Age of Empires III simply does not have a "reinstall" option (pretty dumb if you ask me), so I had to uninstall, and then again install. Before doing so I saved a copy of all my saved games, Home Cities, Player profiles etc. with the intention of putting these back in place. I doubt these could be causing my problem, but I ought to tell you still.

• Since I don't go on the ESO much, I have modified the "proto" file in many numerous, though slight, ways. The copy that I am using currently is my modification of the proto that came with patch 1.07, so it has extra units that are otherwise not in the unpatched game(I.e. "Christmas Tree," "Hisponia (sp?) Tree," "Reindeer," etc.) I wouldn't think that just because units appear in the proto that aren't in the game would have any effect on pausing, chatting, etc. but again, I thought I should tell you.

Any ideas as to what happened that screwed up some of my game features? Any solutions? I could try putting patch 1.07 back on again I'd rather not. Especially because of that annoying pause window. Alternate solutions would be appreciated.

• AuthorReplies:
    Felix Hermansson
    Skirmisher
    posted 07-02-06 03:41 PM EDT (US)     1 / 6       
    To get rid of the pause game window add the line

hidepopups

to the file user.cfg in the dircetory ../Microsoft Games/Age of Empires III/Startup. If the file doesn't exist yet, create a new text file with this name and add just this single line.

RiderOfEternity
    Skirmisher
    posted 07-02-06 04:17 PM EDT (US)     2 / 6       
    I'm pretty sure you can roll back to previous patches by downloading them at http://agecommunity.com/gameUpdates.aspxand then installing them.

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
    Dio_the_lonely
    Banned
    posted 07-03-06 01:52 AM EDT (US)     3 / 6       
    I think there is also a mod that sets you back to vanilla.
    Magnum Pi
    Skirmisher
    posted 07-03-06 09:04 AM EDT (US)     4 / 6       
    Thank you, you all. Don't tell the AoM community this, but you're a lot more helpful then they are.

Right now I'll try what Felix said and try playing with the patch, maybe that will help. Felix, I just want to be sure I'm understanding you right, so I added a rich text document with the name "user.cfg" and it is completely blank except for at the very top there is the line "hidepopups". Did I do that right?

I'll look into a reset mod pack as well.

[This message has been edited by Magnum Pi (edited 07-03-2006 @ 09:06 AM).]

Felix Hermansson
    Skirmisher
    posted 07-04-06 04:03 PM EDT (US)     5 / 6       
    Don't use an .rtf file - it still contains a lot of metadata. It's easiest to start from a .txt file. Open the user.cfg file with notepad and check if you see only the 'hidepopups' entry and nothing else, otherwise it won't work.
    Magnum Pi
    Skirmisher
    posted 07-05-06 02:26 PM EDT (US)     6 / 6       
    No "User" document exists at all, so I should create one and be sure its a .txt? Last time I created my own User document, but was with a Microsoft Word document, or something like it.

Unfortunately I won't be able to take you're advice just now because I'm on vacation over at my grandma's house and she a such a slow comp. it's not even worth trying to put AoE3 on here. (Pentium III, 120 MB of RAM, Intel 2 graphics card. It's six years old, but atleast AoK can still run.)

Once I get back I'll try using a word pad document then, thanks.

You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames