Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.29 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Worst cards
Bottom
Topic Subject:Worst cards
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Alpedar
Skirmisher
posted 09-30-06 07:40 PM EDT (US)         
What cards do you consider worst (and why)?
(Worst generaly/for specific civ (i'm most interested in Dutch, Ports and Germans)).

I have only small experience with Dutch and with others almost none. So i'll name only one cathegory:
Plantation boost cards for Dutch. Why are they useless? Becose Dutch have around 2-3 plantation worth income from bank, so when it comes to mills+plantation economy, dutch have around 3-4 mills and 0-2 plantations (where others have something around 1:1 mills/plantations). Therefore 15% plantation boost for Dutch gives much less for them than for others.
And production boosting cards in general starts paying itself after geting around 6666 of food/gold from mill/plantation (before that 1000 f/g crate is better), so they can start paying itself in period where Dutch dont want to get (becose he is outproduced by anyone) and where game usualy dont get.

AuthorReplies:
TarsTarkas
Skirmisher
posted 09-30-06 08:09 PM EDT (US)     1 / 29       
The Portuguese card banderitos has to be one of the worst ever. At first it sounds kind of good - 3 explorers!!! Cool!!!
But no... sadly its an Age 4 card, and to add insult to injury YOU CAN ONLY USE ONE SPYGLASS!!! IF you use spyglass with one explorer, all three have to recharge.

White Fleet is another not too great card, though I guess it would be good on water maps to reestablish your economy after it got throttled - as long as you havent been using the water already, so there are still fish. But you are Portugal - you should have been using the water.

Other Portuguese cards that are not that great (in my opinion) but that I have actually seen people use before (note: I beat said people) are the Towncenter cards and Donatorios (+2 TC build limit). Why does Portugal have these? could somebody please give me an insight into how these could ever be useful?

I remember when Ceres was around there was a post entitled something like "Why the Port deck Rocks" - it was exceptionally humorous.

" Studies have shown that people who say "Gameplay>Realism" are less likely to find girlfriends or lead a successful, rational life in the real world.

To see these studies for yourself, please click here."

~ Cy Marlayne

ultimitsu
Skirmisher
posted 09-30-06 08:14 PM EDT (US)     2 / 29       
300 gold is by far the most useless card
Cancer of the Head
Skirmisher
(id: say1988)
posted 09-30-06 10:10 PM EDT (US)     3 / 29       
The extra explorers card is quite useful. 3 crackshots is fun. just watching 3 mames go down in an instant.....
Mokon
Skirmisher
posted 09-30-06 10:38 PM EDT (US)     4 / 29       
advanced mills, advanced plantation, advanced market, and that card that makes villies build faster.

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • Grankl
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-30-06 10:44 PM EDT (US)     5 / 29       
    advanced mills and advanced plantation, bad?
    both save you 800 wood ( if you build 4 )
    both are available in age 1
    the plantation card lets you build plantations in any age
    TarsTarkas
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-30-06 10:45 PM EDT (US)     6 / 29       

Quoted from say1988:

The extra explorers card is quite useful. 3 crackshots is fun. just watching 3 mames go down in an instant.....

Yes, you could do that... OR... you could ship mamelukes yourself! Or Ronin! there are way, way, way better things to use a card slot on the 3 freckin explorers who have to share a telescope.

If you cant tell, that spyglass recharge thing just makes me angry! >_<

*edit*
    Grankl, why ever would you want to build a mill or plantation before age 4? Never use them until the resources on the map run out. And if you find yourself needing to use them, be more agressive! As for the wood they save... you could ship 700 wood in fortress instead. They just arent good cards.

" Studies have shown that people who say "Gameplay>Realism" are less likely to find girlfriends or lead a successful, rational life in the real world.

~ Cy Marlayne

[This message has been edited by TarsTarkas (edited 09-30-2006 @ 10:47 PM).]

mentork
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-30-06 11:21 PM EDT (US)     7 / 29       
    Got to be the 7 sheep card, or maby wall hp, one of the two.
    The Anti Elmo
    Skirmisher
    (id: Led)
    posted 09-30-06 11:27 PM EDT (US)     8 / 29       
    I've seen the Baneirantes cards and 7 sheeps cards used, they aren't useful, but they aren't the worst.

German church card sucks.
    Donatarios needs some kind of boost. It would make a semi-useful Fortress card. Port players could go Matty style then.

"My fort was razed by cougars."
    urafricanbrother
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-30-06 11:34 PM EDT (US)     9 / 29       
    I disagree with you Mokon.
    In my russian mirror deck I have advanced mill. It saves lots of wood, and lets me turn to secure farming, while my opponent has to rely on raiding prone hunting. Most people say that its better to just send 1000 wood, but if you want to save even more wood you need to send both (you cant send 1000 wood twice is what im getting at). This enables you to use the wood for TCs instead of mills.
    Mokon
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-30-06 11:38 PM EDT (US)     10 / 29       
    Think of mills and plantions like the plague... there are two reasons you switch to em. Its very late fortress/industrial or you are dieing and have been forced to turtle up

They just take up space in ur deck.

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • Cancer of the Head
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-30-06 11:41 PM EDT (US)     11 / 29       

Quote:

Yes, you could do that... OR... you could ship mamelukes yourself! Or Ronin! there are way, way, way better things to use a card slot on the 3 freckin explorers who have to share a telescope.

Sure there are better cards, but that card is far from useless.
    MightyFireball
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-30-06 11:45 PM EDT (US)     12 / 29       

Quote:

Got to be the 7 sheep card, or maby wall hp, one of the two.

The only place that card really has is in a heavy heavy turtle deck. There it has its place, but anywhere else it just takes up space. So it is a very situational card and isn't very good but probably isnt the worst.

The only card that I think is totally useless is the Portuguese card that gives you 3 explorers in Industrial!. If you're still using explorers in Industrial, then, well, you have a very unique playing style, to put it nicely.

Other than the aforementioned explorers card, I feel that every card has its place and that all can be used in certain situations. For instance, admiralty (increases warship build limit) is often used in decks that anticipate heavy naval battles, but isn't often used elsewhere.

Some cards are better than others, but all have their place, otherwise they'd be removed entirely.

Smoke Rings Award Winner
    Chill with me.

[This message has been edited by MightyFireball (edited 09-30-2006 @ 11:45 PM).]

SlavE_2_FreedoM
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-30-06 11:52 PM EDT (US)     13 / 29       
    The 2 caravel card on Texas?

Quote:

The only card that I think is totally useless is the Portuguese card that gives you 3 explorers in Industrial!.

Cummon...that is the most fun card in the game.

[This message has been edited by SlavE_2_FreedoM (edited 09-30-2006 @ 11:54 PM).]

MightyFireball
    Skirmisher
    posted 09-30-06 11:56 PM EDT (US)     14 / 29       
    You are being sarcasting, right? It's so hard to tell in online forums.

Smoke Rings Award Winner
    Chill with me.
    TarsTarkas
    Skirmisher
    posted 10-01-06 00:29 AM EDT (US)     15 / 29       

Quoted from SlavE_2_FreedoM:

Cummon...that is the most fun card in the game.

It might have been, but it would seem that the second two explorers forgot to bring a telescope. Plus, like Fireball said, its in industrial. The only thing it will ever be used for it for sniper attacks vs. things like Mercs and War Wagons. Now if you could snipe cannons it would be an awesome card

I am not debating the obvious entertainment value of the card, however... Opponent: "wtf?? 3 dead explorers???" The expert computer always uses it.

Some other useless cards are the TC wagons for Portugal. To use them, you either must play Donatorios, or have some of your TCs die.

~ Cy Marlayne

meowies
    Skirmisher
    posted 10-01-06 00:52 AM EDT (US)     16 / 29       
    3 ENVOYS!!!
    Cancer of the Head
    Skirmisher
    posted 10-01-06 00:53 AM EDT (US)     17 / 29       
    The extra explorers are fun. When the enemy suddenly ses 3 elite units die befire even getting into fight. The extra explorers are only useful in discovery and industrial, and they aren't that much better than the explorer dog in discovery (nd dont say card value, you could save your discovery card until it becomes a industrial card.

Admirality is decent card if just for the extra monitor. 3 special monitor attacks can cripple a base. That is where non-port hot air-baloons come in, artillery spotters.

One card I find pretty much useless is portuguese hot-air baloons. Sure it gives you a second recon ability, but I find it redundant when you have spyglass, though with them becoming permanent in TWC, it may be good.

No card is "useless" but many cards are so badly outclassed that they have no place in any deck, except maybe peole who havent got better cards yet.

What about the cheaper first age market techs? I believe it is dutch, so they have villies, bank cards, or a decent explorer to send in discovery. THough maybe it isnt the Dutch who have it, as I can barely remember it.

Alpedar
    Skirmisher
    posted 10-01-06 04:34 AM EDT (US)     18 / 29       
    Dutch have that (TEAM cheaper market improvements) card. It is useless card for 1v1, becose it gives 15% boost to economy, but costs 100w + cost of cheaper researches, but sending 2 (or 3) vilies is roughly 20-15% boost too and comes bit sooner (research times) and you can get those upgrades later.
    But in team games, it can be usefull. It saves 175 resources per player (but each must spend 100w earlier than he would, so for discovery purposes it saves only 75r, therefore in 4 player team it saves 300r).
    Therefore most of time this card is outclassed by any 300r card (and of course by 3 vilies card).
    Medio
    Skirmisher
    (id: Mediolanus)
    posted 10-01-06 04:53 AM EDT (US)     19 / 29       
    Portuguese 1 TC, 2 TC, Donatarios, Badeirantes, Improved walls, white fleet (If you have schooners (which you have on a water map) you need to have 10 docks to make it worth 1600 wood), early dragoons (Someone made a post about top 10 portuguese cards some while ago, can't find it).
    micky_tee
    Skirmisher
    (id: micky_t)
    posted 10-01-06 10:32 AM EDT (US)     20 / 29       

Quote:

Got to be the 7 sheep card

7 sheep card owns for Russia.

2100 food at 6-7 min owns

armyballer - Another 3v3, this time my team is winning, (about an hour into it). One of the other team players admits defeat and resigns, then out of no where I get OOS message. I'm pissed, I again log onto agecommunity and see I have been given a LOSE. How did this happen?

AceOfKings - ender_ward hacked into your game and made it go OOS

Unban JamesLock

[This message has been edited by micky_t (edited 10-01-2006 @ 10:32 AM).]

Ranger General
    Skirmisher
    posted 10-01-06 10:40 AM EDT (US)     21 / 29       

Quote:

300 gold is by far the most useless card

? Ulti? I think Brits/French exploer cards(age2) are worse than 300 resource cards.

Ulti's word of wisdom :

since the start of aoe3, every unit that can move has been a direct counter to grenadiers, even villagers(since they have bonuses against siege troops)

TarsTarkas
    Skirmisher
    posted 10-01-06 11:21 AM EDT (US)     22 / 29       

Quoted from Mediolanus:

(Someone made a post about top 10 portuguese cards some while ago, can't find it)

Yes, that post was hilarious. Unfortunately, I cant find it either.

~ Cy Marlayne

CookieCrisp13
    Skirmisher
    posted 10-01-06 11:26 AM EDT (US)     23 / 29       

Quote:

3 ENVOYS!!!

On the contrary, in team games or even in 1v1s, I use that card after the vills card and our team sends the seven envoys (2v2) to where some vills are gathering food (they arent too carefull in discovery age) and we can heavily wound if not kill several units. Of course i play dutch less than oen percent of the time, but its just a fun thing to do. not to mention help you kill treasure guys and explore the enemy;s strategy.

Proud winner of the FFA Winter Round '07!
    [Judgε][Epic Thread]
    My Vods:[One] [Two][Three][Four]
    "with all the bling on a mandsabar you could win the game by paying the enemy to resign." IL
    Angel Walker
    Skirmisher
    (id: Just a player)
    posted 10-01-06 11:30 AM EDT (US)     24 / 29       

Quote:

The Portuguese card banderitos has to be one of the worst ever. At first it sounds kind of good - 3 explorers!!! Cool!!!
    But no... sadly its an Age 4 card, and to add insult to injury YOU CAN ONLY USE ONE SPYGLASS!!! IF you use spyglass with one explorer, all three have to recharge.

One day I killed 3 of somme's Mameluks with those... later I killed a bunch of Highlanders and Swiss Pikes

Quote:

(Someone made a post about top 10 portuguese cards some while ago, can't find it)

Are you talking about my...

OMG! That's it! The reply that made Ceres laughing uncontrollably. The reply that created 2 pages of "LMAO" and ROTFL". The reply that is my old (last year) Portuguese TOP 10!!

------------------------------------------------------------

The worst best Portuguese Cards:

• 10th Place: TEAM Brazilian wood

OMFG!! 1000 wood crates to all your teammates!!! And in Industrial!!! You can build a Plantation with it!!! Really, it is sooooo good!!!! Send it twice and you can research Bestieros!!!

• 9th Place: Bestieros

Though its not a card by itself, this card-tech deserves its own place in the Ranking. What should I spend my money??? 22 Guard croosbowman or 11 Black Riders??? *Click in the Croosbowman*

Look, a Cannon!!! *OWNED*

• 8th Place: Cheap Outposts

WOW! That card is amazing!!! Nothing better than reduce your 7 outposts price by 75 wood!!! Oh, look, and it is a TEAM card! Imagine 30 Janissaries at your base and your ally suddenly ships this card! I can almost hear the Otto rusher screaming:

"Oh, no! He got cheap outposts! Run away!!! Lets send our cheap Trading Posts to counter it!!!"

• 7th Place: Gunpowder units HP/Damage/Combat

OMG!

That card is soooooooo OPPPPP!!! I mean, while all civs get those cards in Colonial and Fortress, Portugal get them in Industrial!! Really man... if you can survive until Industrial and send 2 Factories, 2 Heavy Cannons, 2 Mortars, 7 Dragoons, 16 Musketeer, 11 Cassadores, 8 Halberdiers and 4 Organ Guns, those cards are the BEST CHOICE

• 6th Place: TEAM SUPER WALLS (or whatever it is called)

IT OWNS!!! PWNED!!!
    That is + 1500 HP to your Walls?!!! Almost 5 seconds longer against some Mortars!! No, really, nothing can be better than when your enemy try to destroy it with Culverins... The only problem is that the enemy units can shot trought the walls... I mean... why destroy it if you can Bombard all his base with Mortars??? Well... it works against a sheep rush - if you are fast...

• 5th Place: Early Dragoons

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!

Dragoons in the colonial!!! Who will let gone the chance of spending 900 food and 900 gold in 10 dragoons at Colonial!!! Oh, man, really, It is almost as good as FF!!! Have you ever tried a Dragoon Rush??? Just don't try against French... that F***ing coureur destroied all my army! Well... they can do pretty well against Colonial Cavalry Archers (wich requires the Early Dragoons card)

• 4th Place: White Fleet

This card is the s***

Spam fishing boats!!! No, really, 12 or 16 Fishing boats in Industrial!! The only problem is to find some fish in the sea... BUT they are soooooo many!!! I have almost destroied a Canoe with'em!! Thats the best card of the game when your enemy don't build a Caravel and you make a 10 min. Fast Industrial!!

• 3th Place: Bandeidiots

OWNED!!!! HEADSHOT!!!! MO-MO-MO-MONSTER KILL!!!

This card ROX!! Wow!!! You can tame all the treasures of the map with them... the problem is that aren't much treasures at Industrial... But think... You can build TCs 3x faster with them!!! MORE TCs!!! And kill 3 enemies with a shot!!! OMFG! That is less 3 Imperial Ruyters in a small army of 150!!!

• 2th Place: 2 Covered Wagons

I'm without words... I mean, I's unbelivable what 2 covered wagons can do! I swear I've defeated an horde of 40 Cuirassiers with them!! And even better!! They can build... TCs! WOW!!! 6 Tcs Spaming settlers in Industrial!!! Maybe if ES change the settler limit to 150 people will realize how good it is...

• 1th Place: +2 TC Build Limit (I don't even know the name)

PWNED!!!! IT ROX!!!! WHAT CAN BE BETTER THAN HAVING 6 TCs IN INDUSTRIAL!!! SPAM TCs AT YOUR ENEMY!! SPAM!!! OMFG!!! WTF!!! FFS!! OLOL!!! LMAO!!! FDP!!! You can send more 12 Minutmen!! I can see those Cuirassier running:

"Run!!! He got Evil TCs with 1 HP Minutmen!!!"

I mean, what French player wouldn't change his 2nd Fort for + 2 TC build limit???

That's almost a GG!!!
    for you...

See? Port Deck OWNS!!!

------------------------------------------------------------

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
    "Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.
  • Major Helper
    AoKH Survivor, Mr. White Teeth
    posted 10-01-06 11:40 AM EDT (US)     25 / 29       
    that still makes me smile i rememember when i first read it i laughed like 30 mins

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_
    You, you... Finnish Barstool! - Enraged Popeychops
    Major Helper: Helping AoE3H Housewives since 2008 - As_Saffah
    I spent 3 months trying to convince a door that I was an intelligent life form and gave up. - TLM
    Winner of "Nicest" (2012-2016), "Most Helpful" (2014) and "Best Moderator" (2015-2016) Forummer Awards
    -=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-
    « Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames