You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.28 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Gamespot, one page Iroquois in detail.
Bottom
Topic Subject:Gamespot, one page Iroquois in detail.
fhertlein
Skirmisher
posted 07-27-06 11:21 PM EDT (US)         
Gamespot

"The devil and the priest can't exist if one goes away, its just like the battle of the sun and moon, night and day. The force of the devil is what we are told to fear. Watch out for religion when he gets too near."
"Living in a world of fantasy, I can hide behind what's real."
"Behind a smile, there's danger and a promise to be told, you'll never get old. Life's fantasy, to be locked away and still to think you're free! So live for today, tomorrow never comes. Die young."
AuthorReplies:
Cancer of the Head
Skirmisher
(id: say1988)
posted 07-27-06 11:45 PM EDT (US)     1 / 28       
Most interesting is the firepit section...

Quote:

Some of the dances include the fertility dance, which speeds up unit production by 11 percent for each dancer assigned to the fire pit; the founder dance, which creates a new travois (builder unit) after a certain amount of time; and the alarm dance, which spawns warriors that are useful for defense. (These won't be too useful in offensive operations, though, as warriors spawned by the alarm dance continually lose hit points over time.)

Holy, thats a pretty good increase if you get a quite a few villies on it.....
And they do have minutemen, but constantly buildable it seems.....

Anybody else thinking russian when you read that? Barracks + tower, fast training...

[This message has been edited by say1988 (edited 07-27-2006 @ 11:48 PM).]

Cy Marlayne
Skirmisher
posted 07-27-06 11:48 PM EDT (US)     2 / 28       
I was not impressed by this Gamespot write-up. The only new information was dance names, and most of the dances sound pretty obvious and fitting to me.

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Welcome to Life, your vacation from nothing.
KaSt0R
Skirmisher
posted 07-28-06 00:42 AM EDT (US)     3 / 28       
Brtnboarder495
Skirmisher
posted 07-28-06 02:08 AM EDT (US)     4 / 28       
I really hope that civ is much more diverse and entertaining to play than ES made them seem.

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
Dieneces
Skirmisher
posted 07-28-06 03:16 AM EDT (US)     5 / 28       
The IGN write up on them a while ago made them sound more interesting. In this one, it's basically just saying "they're just like the Europeans but with one or two differences", which doesn't really seem to be the case. The Iroquois are more like half European, half all original Native stuff. They are still, of course, the most European of the new civs.

"You cannot discover an inhabited land. Otherwise I could cross the Atlantic and 'discover' England."
- Dekhatkadons, Onondaga Iroquois chief.
Thanatos
Skirmisher
(id: deathmaster666)
posted 07-28-06 06:20 AM EDT (US)     6 / 28       
I wonder in what situation it will be worth it to take villagers off other tasks and put them in the fire pit?
What strategies will come up that will require doing this?

Help me to tally the forums belief patterns, vote in my poll

Tally so far:-
Agnostics:18
Atheists:28
Theists:42
Cy Marlayne
Skirmisher
posted 07-28-06 08:33 AM EDT (US)     7 / 28       
Well, when you have a dance that boosts farm production 11% per villager, I think during late game, it would be a wonderful idea to use 20-25 of your villagers dancing. That fire dance can't have a negative effect, otherwise nobody would ever use it. And what I mean by negative effect, I mean that if it's better to use those 20-25 villagers working on their own farms rather than dancing, then it produces a negative effect.

Taube
Skirmisher
posted 07-28-06 08:51 AM EDT (US)     8 / 28       
I may be wrong, but it sounds like the fire pit starts with a certain number of dancers and that you can add more dancers at certain points in the game (perhaps more at each age).

"You'll start with a number of dances and unlock more throughout the course of the game."

This would be different from creating villagers and tasking them to the fire pit individually, which would be difficult to calculate in your head during the game.

zlad
Skirmisher
posted 07-28-06 09:33 AM EDT (US)     9 / 28       
You'll start with a number of dances and unlock more throughout the course of the game."

I may be wrong, but it sounds like the fire pit starts with a certain number of dancers and that you can add more dancers at certain points in the game.

It says Dances , not Dancers : For example : At the beginning , you only have the founder dance and at some point of the game you'll get the fertility dance. So there ..

Cancer of the Head
Skirmisher
posted 07-28-06 10:57 AM EDT (US)     10 / 28       
Well the images with the UI show the number of villies on the fire pit, and Sandy has said that you have to sacrafice villies (from gathering/building) to use the pit and you can have none on it.

Where is this 11% farming boost coming from? All I see is an 11% boost to unit production.

Makita
Skirmisher
posted 07-28-06 12:16 PM EDT (US)     11 / 28       

Quoted from CyMarlayne:

That fire dance can't have a negative effect, otherwise nobody would ever use it.

Many available options in this game have negative effects. At least 30% of HC cards are pointless.

N_E_Patriots
Skirmisher
posted 07-28-06 12:53 PM EDT (US)     12 / 28       
9 villies mid game on the firepit can give you 99% unit production... I mean yea its not instant, but hey, its sure close.

Sounds like we are dealing with a spamming cannon civ.

I lost in the AOE3H FRR
Support Gay Pride!
Michael Jackson is innocent!
I smell.
fhertlein
Skirmisher
posted 07-28-06 02:59 PM EDT (US)     13 / 28       
Considering that many current civs can create ponies and military instantly, it makes sense that sacrificing peons from collecting resources to dance, would result in instant production.

Of course, ES may limit which units benefit from the rapid production bonuses.

AOEIII does have trade-offs for most things, so I would expect ES to try and create a balance, to keep some of these bonuses from getting out of hand.

Then the actual community will help balance the expansion, just like it has happened with the initial AOEIII.

"The devil and the priest can't exist if one goes away, its just like the battle of the sun and moon, night and day. The force of the devil is what we are told to fear. Watch out for religion when he gets too near."
"Living in a world of fantasy, I can hide behind what's real."
"Behind a smile, there's danger and a promise to be told, you'll never get old. Life's fantasy, to be locked away and still to think you're free! So live for today, tomorrow never comes. Die young."
Cancer of the Head
Skirmisher
posted 07-28-06 03:03 PM EDT (US)     14 / 28       
Actually, as Sandy said each villi has slightly more effect than the last, I would guess that it is cummulative. So if the first effects the base rate by 11%, the second will have an effect of 12.21%, and so on.....if not predetermined numbers....
xcadet
Skirmisher
posted 07-28-06 05:03 PM EDT (US)     15 / 28       
hey did anyone catch that in the second picture there seem to be trees on the farm maybe they are implementing a tree nursery in the x-pack, sounds good for those longer games, and im not talking about NR

"to do anything but your best would be to sacrafice the gift"
Cancer of the Head
Skirmisher
posted 07-28-06 06:12 PM EDT (US)     16 / 28       
Sandy said no to that already. That will be corn.
Yamato Take
Prince of Tennis
posted 07-28-06 06:42 PM EDT (US)     17 / 28       
I think Iroquois are going to be my favorite Native American Civilization. Because Kastor can mod them for Cherokee. Seriously, they're sounding like a good match for my Russian playing.

Cosmopolitan? Check.
iLord
Skirmisher
(id: Lord Iarune)
posted 07-28-06 09:39 PM EDT (US)     18 / 28       
My favorite natives would definately be the Sioux. I love all of the names of their units. Especially Tashunke Prowler. It's got that stealth-touch to it.

׺°˜`°º×ALL HAIL THE UNCLELAND!׺°˜`°º×[/ind]\

[ind]Help to reveal the Dumbo Conspiracy to the World!

Braveheart_LDS
Skirmisher
posted 07-28-06 11:25 PM EDT (US)     19 / 28       
Sioux AND Iroquois will be amazing. As long as they make sure the cav is worth using, not like it is now pre 1.08 (albiet that's really more hussars), the Sioux will rock ass. If the cav sucks, the Sioux can beat out the dutch for worst civ (stadings used from current state of gaming).

lol im a ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ for copying ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
brandnizzle
Skirmisher
posted 07-28-06 11:30 PM EDT (US)     20 / 28       
they can make war htus that are a barracks/watchtower.

hmm...dont know where that idea could of come from... ... ...

Smertios
Skirmisher
posted 07-29-06 08:54 AM EDT (US)     21 / 28       
I'll wait for the third civ to see. Neither Iroquois or Sioux are good for me...

Please give your opinion about my new idea for an Age game:

Age of Empires X: The Age of Wars

hellofromireland
Skirmisher
posted 07-29-06 02:08 PM EDT (US)     22 / 28       
The sad thing id that even if you dnt like the civs, if u want to keep playing online you will have to buy it because everyone else will.
Cy Marlayne
Skirmisher
posted 07-29-06 02:50 PM EDT (US)     23 / 28       
That's not true. Not everybody who currently owns a copy of AOE3 will buy the expansion.

SilentScreams
Skirmisher
posted 07-29-06 03:01 PM EDT (US)     24 / 28       

Quote:

My favorite natives would definately be the Sioux. I love all of the names of their units. Especially Tashunke Prowler. It's got that stealth-touch to it.

same here, Cetan Bow and Tashunke Prowler sound much more interesting than Skirmisher or Pikeman. I can't believe ES is worried we won't be able to learn the new units properly if their name doesn't describe their exact form and function.

Remember AoM with all the myth uits and strange Greek and Norse unit names? I loved the authenticity, mystery and power they carried. I'm hoping the Inca units (yes, Incas!) have their authentic names like Huaminca and Huaraca as well. ES was going to see if that would work out (Bruce Shelley blog).

All Hail Giant Squid World Domination
Brtnboarder495
Skirmisher
posted 07-29-06 07:53 PM EDT (US)     25 / 28       
You choose units by their names? That's saying alot about your skill ... :-p

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
RiderOfEternity
Skirmisher
posted 07-30-06 07:13 AM EDT (US)     26 / 28       
You can already tell Gamespot are going to rate this lowly.

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
Dieneces
Skirmisher
posted 08-01-06 04:04 AM EDT (US)     27 / 28       
Gamespot rates everything lowly.

"You cannot discover an inhabited land. Otherwise I could cross the Atlantic and 'discover' England."
- Dekhatkadons, Onondaga Iroquois chief.
AFF92
Skirmisher
posted 08-02-06 04:11 PM EDT (US)     28 / 28       
Yeah, never look at Gamespot for ratings, they always trash good games. Has anyone noticed that the guy who rated AOE 3 gave no real and logical reasons as to why he rated it so low? It didn't even make sense, he just said he didn't "like the feel of it." I mean, what the heck?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames