Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.18 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » 40 wood mills
Bottom
Topic Subject:40 wood mills
MNBob
Skirmisher
posted 10-19-06 10:35 AM EDT (US)         
Yesterday I was screwing around in single player to test out a possible new Port strategy.

Land Grab with Advanced Mill provides for 40 wood mills. Possibly throw in some combo of Economic Theory, Sustainable Agriculture and Refrigeration along with the unique church tech that improves mill gather rate and you can turtle and gain food pretty quickly.

Abus Guns and Grenadiers ARE NOT ARTILLERY!
MNBob's AOE Page
AuthorReplies:
James Lock
Skirmisher
posted 10-19-06 11:16 AM EDT (US)     1 / 18       
The problem I find with these resource card strategies is that you are very vulnerable early on because while you send cards that work in the long run your opponent can be sending resource cards and unit cards. If you can survive these early attacks then you will have a big advantage over him though.

Thanks to all those that signed the petition to get me unbanned here.
And special thanks to smashnbash for making it.
MNBob
Skirmisher
posted 10-19-06 11:28 AM EDT (US)     2 / 18       
I agree but most players who defend well with Ports take advantage of colonial militia. The key is to figure out how you can get the correct build order that will require at least Colonia Militia, Land Grab, Advanced Mill and Church Card.

Before Land Grab was added the payoff for using mills was never enough to make an early mill strategy very viable for Ports. At the same time, Ports biggest weakness early is needing lots of food and while playing defensively it is hard to defend and expand to food sources further away.

This might make it possible to do both now.

MNBob's AOE Page
zion_CDawg
Skirmisher
posted 10-19-06 11:51 AM EDT (US)     3 / 18       
I suppose you're planning massive musket/cassa rushes for this as those are the only really food intensive units for ports...
The port church upgrade that increases your food input, but decreases others means your wood and gold income will go down so you need to rely on those food intensive resources.

I see this strategy working pretty well, especially in team games where u can supply some food in exchange for gold from your partners. Ie - Playing with a dutch player who has tons of excess gold would make for an incredible boom for both players.

With 40 wood mills you may as well build mills for your partners too since you can task villies on any mill - anyone ever do this? (he should still build one to do the upgrades though)

Angel Walker
Skirmisher
(id: Just a player)
posted 10-19-06 12:21 PM EDT (US)     4 / 18       
I don't think 40 Wood mills are worth it. Its 2 cards to save 360 wood in mills, so I would prefer 2 1k resource crates instead. Of course, if I manage ot get a Cree or Tupi Native I'll have both cards for sure, so I can XP farm with possible FREE mills

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
"Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.
Strong Man
Skirmisher
posted 10-19-06 12:24 PM EDT (US)     5 / 18       
You build two farms, that is saving 360*2 = 720 woods. 1080 for three. Okay some HP improvement but in aoe3 mill does not allow garrison & priority damage absorption (gotta destroy a mill to hurt the first worker). No such thing, so I don't really see adv. mill attractive.

1080 woods in two shipment is not very good, and very restricted to heavy farming to take 1080 woods. (Adding in plantation is much better, but pltn post-land grab is still expensive and not for early use).

I used to try adv. plantation, and may now use land grab instead.

VS

Iroquois: 3 travois into farm or plantation, then a free upgrade card (if present in retail)

In case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening and good night!
Squints
Skirmisher
posted 10-19-06 12:50 PM EDT (US)     6 / 18       
reducing the cost of mills AND upping the resource gather rates are kinda counter productive. If you up the gather rate you dont need as many mills. If you lower the cost getting extra mills is easier.

Whereas both would help, I dont think it would benefit as much. I love that UC card for the ports. It really boosts up your gather rate. I would go with either landgrab OR adv. mill. Prolly land grab. Then the UC card and just keep some wood cards in your deck.

What I've been thinking about is landgrab with schooners. Whale oil card and the Church gather rate card.

Cancer of the Head
Skirmisher
(id: say1988)
posted 10-19-06 01:03 PM EDT (US)     7 / 18       
I would only use the pair when I am going to get free mills. with them I can spam fast building mills getting my exp for new cards with ninor investment, plus creating a confusing mess for the enemy.
wyveric
Skirmisher
posted 10-19-06 01:58 PM EDT (US)     8 / 18       
Now free mills is something worth persuing!
Would this combination of techs really result in free mills? I guess all of these "percentage" techs are additive, so it's possible.
Would these mills still produce exerpience when built? Is experience from construction related to cost?
I forsee some pretty interesting port games...
George_uk
Skirmisher
posted 10-19-06 02:03 PM EDT (US)     9 / 18       
The XP is constant and does not change with upgrades.

The mill spam for XP

Previously known as MoNo Ager
zion_CDawg
Skirmisher
posted 10-19-06 02:40 PM EDT (US)     10 / 18       
so what about building mills for your teammates???
that could bring up the savings to 3 mills for yourself + 2 for each team mate... so in 4v4 - 9 mills * 360 wood = 3240 wood... u sure aint gonna ship that much wood!
Cancer of the Head
Skirmisher
(id: say1988)
posted 10-19-06 03:21 PM EDT (US)     11 / 18       
Ya, the combo might be useful in team games, maybe advanced plantation as well, if it has the same affect on cost as advanced mill.
Brtnboarder495
Skirmisher
posted 10-19-06 06:12 PM EDT (US)     12 / 18       
Not worth it since your talking about 600 res in just shipping it, then you'd have to do some serious upgrading on both techs in order to make it realistic to compete against enemies. 2 farms cost 800 res, so unless your talking aobut getting 4 farms ASAP it's basically useless. 3 would just pay for itself I *think*

Nevertheless interesting idea and stats Bob

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
Redrum_and_Coke
Skirmisher
posted 10-21-06 12:06 PM EDT (US)     13 / 18       
Can teammates work a farm/plantation you built for them? Has anyone tried to do this?

If so, that will save a whole lot more wood in the typical 3 vs 3 or 4 vs 4 clan games I play.

AuxiliA MieS
Skirmisher
posted 10-21-06 12:46 PM EDT (US)     14 / 18       
Well Portugal is going to rock in treaty mode games

M3 15 ur l0rd 4and m45t3r. Y0us4 g0tt4 d0 wh4t 1 t3ll y3r.
MNBob
Skirmisher
posted 11-11-06 11:05 PM EDT (US)     15 / 18       
40 wood mills are now 120 wood.
The 40% (Land Grab) + 50% (Advanced Mill) is no longer just added together to give -90%. Instead you get 50% of 400 = 200 wood. Followed by 40% of 200 = 120 wood.

I wonder if all percentages now work this way. Someone find out how much Ottoman trading posts cost now with ATP and the team card that makes them cheaper.

What about infantry train time upgrades (cards + church)?

MNBob's AOE Page
Ender_Ward
Skirmisher
posted 11-11-06 11:09 PM EDT (US)     16 / 18       
Yep, found this out today as well. Kind of a bummer. No more massive XP generating when they're tripple the cost.

"One wants to be loved, failing that admired, failing that feared, failing that hated and despised. One wants to instill in other people some form of emotion. The soul shudders before emptiness and wants contact, no matter the cost."
MightyFireball
Skirmisher
posted 11-11-06 11:09 PM EDT (US)     17 / 18       

Quote:

Can teammates work a farm/plantation you built for them?

Yes. As can opponant's villagers. The same priniciple applies to crates.

Smoke Rings Award Winner
Chill with me.
Asatruar
Skirmisher
posted 11-11-06 11:21 PM EDT (US)     18 / 18       
This sounds like a good strat, but only if your opponent doesn't rush. If he organizes a decent rush, it's all over. If it's a no rush game or he is a really bad rushing civ, this could work. I'd say to make a seperate deck for this strat and use it in certain situations.

Iron Maiden (Element 666 on the periodic table) is the heaviest metal known to man.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames