You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.19 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Question to Ekanta regarding the UI (modding related):
Bottom
Topic Subject:Question to Ekanta regarding the UI (modding related):
Ender_Ward
Skirmisher
posted 11-11-06 01:27 PM EDT (US)         
Hello Ekanta.

You know how in Xantelian's UI you can see the XP required for a shipment in green letters? Is it possible to enable that with your user interface? If yes, how would I go about adding it in place of the market buttons (referring to your transparent UI)? I never use them, and the XP required text seems like a perfect fit there.

Would appreciate any answers you can give.

"One wants to be loved, failing that admired, failing that feared, failing that hated and despised. One wants to instill in other people some form of emotion. The soul shudders before emptiness and wants contact, no matter the cost."
AuthorReplies:
Ekanta
Skirmisher
posted 11-11-06 01:49 PM EDT (US)     1 / 19       
Hi Ender...

I assumed u know how to use aoe3ed, then:

in "uiminimappanelnew" at top, the lines:

minimapPanel-BuyFood-Back
minimapPanel-BuyWood-Back
etc, etc
Make it ONE long and name it xpneedback something.

Then a bit down delete the lines:
BuyFood-Value
BuyFood-Button
etc, etc.

Then at same place put in the xp value as:
{xpShipmentProgressionString} or $$32711$$, and green it up as textcolor="0 255 0". Perhaps it will show a bit strange, since xen used to mod the stringtable to fit it, dunno now.

rest is up to u, well cya ^^

xentelian
Skirmisher
posted 11-11-06 02:12 PM EDT (US)     2 / 19       
It is history.
I had too many problems getting the damned thing to work with age3 and warchiefs using the same interface.
It still shows "# xp needed for shipment #" holding mouse over hc progress bar although less convenient.

Also, I wanted to make sure each mod I host can be used independantly of another, which was not possible with this.

[This message has been edited by xentelian (edited 11-11-2006 @ 02:13 PM).]

Ender_Ward
Skirmisher
posted 11-11-06 02:29 PM EDT (US)     3 / 19       
Ekanta, thank you.

Xantelian, that's real a shame. I loved that XP counter so much.

Oh well, question, though ... how can I get the unit/shipment queue to display in the middle of the screen (instead of on the left side), below the unit stats/portrait? The way your UI used to do it, and the way Ekanta's is right now?

I'm sort of trying to make myself a custom UI that is a hybrid between yours and Ekantas. I like the transparency and the unit/shipment queue locations of Ekanta's UI, but I want the total/idle villager counts from the way your UI used to do it.

I used to play Warchiefs so far with your UI, Xantelian, but with minimised UI disabled (going against your read.me file instructions). So that the unit queues would be where I'm used to them, and so I could stil see the "XP required" amount. But with the latest patch it no longer works. If I do that, I can't see any of the information for the number of villagers, gatherers per resource (yes it's enabled in UI options) or my current resources. So I have to look for alternatives, and Ekanta's UI puts the unit queue where I like it.

I'm kinda a n00b at this, so even before I start I was curious if it's actually possible to combine the two UIs.

"One wants to be loved, failing that admired, failing that feared, failing that hated and despised. One wants to instill in other people some form of emotion. The soul shudders before emptiness and wants contact, no matter the cost."
StonewallJ
Seraph Emeritus
(id: Conquistador34)
posted 11-11-06 05:18 PM EDT (US)     4 / 19       
Xentelian's mod witht the xp works fine for me.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][] Stonewall J [][][][][][][][][][][]
Ender_Ward
Skirmisher
posted 11-11-06 05:39 PM EDT (US)     5 / 19       
Hmm, strange. Stonewall, which version are you using (as in, what dates)?

StonewallJ
Seraph Emeritus
(id: Conquistador34)
posted 11-11-06 05:40 PM EDT (US)     6 / 19       
I redownloaded everything once I got TWC, maybe I'm just lucky.

[][][][][][][][][][] Stonewall J [][][][][][][][][][][]
Ender_Ward
Skirmisher
posted 11-11-06 08:31 PM EDT (US)     7 / 19       
Another question:

In this section:

<gadget name="XPneeded" type="formatText" size1024="222 680 250 696" datarefreshrate=".5" textcolor="0 255 0" z="12" mouseovertext="XP needed for next shipment." anchortooltiptopright="" textfont="NumbersFont" textcenterhoriz="" textfontsize="12" background="">$$32711$$</gadget>

Which of the bolded values do I need to modify to extend the box in the screenshot below towards the right?

This way:

Any help appreciated.

[This message has been edited by Ender_Ward (edited 11-11-2006 @ 08:32 PM).]

Ender_Ward
Skirmisher
posted 11-11-06 11:04 PM EDT (US)     8 / 19       
Muhahahaha! Nevermind, through the old and time honored tradition of trial and error, I have succeeded!

(for any other n00bs to modding, like yours truly, it's the third value).

And even greater values fit in:

Now just to play around with the colors, and I've got all I need. Maybe I'll figure out how to fill the hole in the UI too, so it's not totally see through.

Basilis
Skirmisher
posted 11-12-06 05:38 AM EDT (US)     9 / 19       
Ι'd be happy to see yours too
I currently have ekanta's (not the see through) and in aoe3 I had xentelian's
MusketKing
Skirmisher
posted 11-12-06 08:30 AM EDT (US)     10 / 19       
Ender if u need a beta-tester give us a shout (presuming ur going to upload it to a site and not just for personal use ^_~

"The better at AoE, the worse at RL" - Doppel
After someone suggesting to make a meatshield to fight off petards..."Where can I find this meatshield? Is it in the TC?" - Sjalle

"That last comment has earned you a ban Musk" - Solus
On realising I was on a 2nd account:"Quinarvy ehhh" - Solus

RUSSIAN CIVIL WAR - VERY GG
Mine and Micky's OPness
xentelian
Skirmisher
posted 11-12-06 12:28 PM EDT (US)     11 / 19       
Good luck Ender.
Between mine, Ekanta's and original UI... files, you should be able to eventually come up with what you want.
I just wanted an interface that would work with vanilla and warchiefs, which I have.
Ender_Ward
Skirmisher
posted 11-12-06 02:38 PM EDT (US)     12 / 19       
Thank you both Xantelian and Ekanta. By borrowing from both of your files, I now have a UI with everything I need:

This is just for personal use. If someone actually wants this, I can email them the modified version of the file (uiminimappanelnew.xml.xmb).

I might stil do more slight adjustments.

MusketKing
Skirmisher
posted 11-12-06 02:48 PM EDT (US)     13 / 19       
yea ender i'd love to try it out
erm not really sure about giving out my email in a forum sooooooo if u could email me at scallyally3@hotmail.co.uk(dont ask)
much appreciated - thanks

After someone suggesting to make a meatshield to fight off petards..."Where can I find this meatshield? Is it in the TC?" - Sjalle

Mine and Micky's OPness
Ender_Ward
Skirmisher
posted 11-12-06 02:55 PM EDT (US)     14 / 19       
Mail sent. Keep in mind though that it's stil a work in progress. It's just the first version I feel comfortable enough with to use on ESO.

MusketKing
Skirmisher
posted 11-12-06 03:13 PM EDT (US)     15 / 19       
k cheers, ill see if it affects me for better or worse :P
:P

Mine and Micky's OPness
Ekanta
Skirmisher
posted 11-12-06 04:42 PM EDT (US)     16 / 19       
Erm nice and stuff Ender...
I would stretch out the idle vil background though.
And the "u need xxx experience" you could redo as "xxx XP needed" there aint room for it all.
xentelian
Skirmisher
posted 11-12-06 04:56 PM EDT (US)     17 / 19       
If he wants to shorten the string he needs to modify 32709 in stringtable file.

I think I may change mine anyways so {xp needed} / {shipment #} in green or something. I liked being able to see which shipment number it was as well. Besides, every time someone wants to update stringtable, there are not going to want to change that line every time. I will change it in mine.

xentelian
Skirmisher
posted 11-12-06 09:36 PM EDT (US)     18 / 19       
I uploaded the fixes for stringtables files...
instead of "You need # experience for shipment #" it now will just show # - # so it will fit in any user interface easily.

I update my user interface so that it shows units queueing up at the bottom instead of ES default for warchiefs.

Ender_Ward
Skirmisher
posted 11-12-06 09:45 PM EDT (US)     19 / 19       
Yes! I get to go back to using Xantelian's interface (I just got so used to it, been using it since like patch 1.03), instead of the glorified hack I put together.
I mean it's usable, and the transparency thing is nice, but I'm just comfortable with the good old UI I've been using for so long.

*does the dance of joy*

And I stil appreciate the help in this thread, gave me a good insight into UI modding for AoE3 (I was completely clueless before this issue came up).

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames