You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.52 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Thinking of moving.
Bottom
Topic Subject:Thinking of moving.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Ossian
Skirmisher
posted 12-10-06 00:54 AM EDT (US)         
I've been playing aoe3 for around 14 months now and I've been thinking of moving, but I've looked and looked and I see almost nothing out there that is as active as aoe3 (seemingly)

So my question to everyone is what other RTS is out there that I should get? I've been looking at Empire earth 2 but the EE2 heaven forum is a ghost town, so is there no one playing that?

I hear RoN was good but way to old now, I've heard WC3 is full of fanboys and is retarded so I'm really confused about what to get or even if I should get anything else and I might just stick to plain ol aoe3

*WINDOWS CRITICAL ERROR 19891126*
Product ID: Ossian Discontinued
Contact your network admin for more details
about this special edition of player...

Allthough cetans are darker, did you know that if you read the word 'cetan' as a dutch word, that you get the same sound as when reading 'satan' in english.-Furby Killer
AuthorReplies:
Krazy_Karl
Skirmisher
posted 12-11-06 00:41 AM EDT (US)     26 / 52       
I'd recommend the Dawn of war series, it's fast paced and action packed (to rip-off that other guy )

However DO NOT touch Empire Earth 2. It is horribly unbalanced, and not many people play it. However the campaign and single player is surprisingly well done.

im in ur base

steelin ur crates
poita
Skirmisher
posted 12-11-06 00:58 AM EDT (US)     27 / 52       
I've been playing the Supreme Commander Beta and I must say I'll definitely be sticking with it. The game seems very balanced already. Of course only time will tell but the developers listen to everything we say and fix anything that's broken quickly.

The game really lets you be strategic and all the 'normal' strategies are viable (rush, turtle, boom, fast-tech). The games get started a lot quicker, you start producing military after 1 or 2 minutes and it never stops from there. Teching-up is gradual unlike AOE and I think it's a hell of a lot better. You upgrade each of your factories (like rax, stables etc) separately to the next level so there's no sudden advantage like there is in AOE when you age up. Also, scouting is absolutely necessary and an integral part of the game. Unit's ranges are often out of their LOS so you need to have radars up so they can target you. Your enemy can them put up stealth field generators to block the radar signal. It adds a whole new depth that AOE doesn't have.

It's still quite buggy in this early stage but it is only beta so it's to be expected. Unfortunately fileplanet isn't giving out anymore beta keys just now so you can't play it yet. You'll just have to wait until the next set of keys is released.

If anyone already has it, feel free to PM me for a game. My UID is Poita_.

[EDIT]

If you want to know more about how the game plays competetively then I could go into more detail. Just let me know.

- - ESO Name: poita - -
- - ELO Rating: 2120 - -
- - Civ: Russia + Dutch - -
My Aztec Unit Guide (Updated!)

[This message has been edited by poita (edited 12-11-2006 @ 01:03 AM).]

pwk11
Skirmisher
posted 12-11-06 01:53 AM EDT (US)     28 / 52       
EE2 lacked unit balance even after many patches. It also Lagged to the point of a slideshow no matter how good the connection or computer.
Rise Of Legends I thought was a very balanced and well made game,but noone played it. The few that did were experts.So the moderate or new player cant get a decent match.
RON is very good game but I dont know if the community is very big these days.

Dieneces
Skirmisher
posted 12-11-06 06:49 AM EDT (US)     29 / 52       
How many people are online with AoM these days?

My suggestion - stop playing games for a while and reward yourself with 0ad or AOE4.

"You cannot discover an inhabited land. Otherwise I could cross the Atlantic and 'discover' England."
- Dekhatkadons, Onondaga Iroquois chief.
Ossian
Skirmisher
posted 12-11-06 12:11 PM EDT (US)     30 / 52       
Tell us more poita!

Allthough cetans are darker, did you know that if you read the word 'cetan' as a dutch word, that you get the same sound as when reading 'satan' in english.-Furby Killer

[This message has been edited by Ossian (edited 12-11-2006 @ 12:12 PM).]

James Lock
Skirmisher
posted 12-11-06 12:38 PM EDT (US)     31 / 52       
What is star wars empires at war like?

Thanks to all those that signed the petition to get me unbanned here.
And special thanks to smashnbash for making it.
Ossian
Skirmisher
posted 12-11-06 01:02 PM EDT (US)     32 / 52       
Shallow sadly, the space battles are very good looking but lack any micro and ground battles are about the same but without looking good

The building up armies and such are really fun in the overworld but just is lacking anything special.

zion_CDawg
Skirmisher
posted 12-11-06 01:11 PM EDT (US)     33 / 52       
Supreme Commander will be my next RTS purchase. Looks like a great concept...

Currently retired from AOE3... moved on to LOTRO... yeah an MMO... but a fun one!
Hockey fan for Life:
"I believe the Canucks of Vancouver are formidable warriors." -Teal'c, Stargate SG-1
poita
Skirmisher
posted 12-11-06 02:21 PM EDT (US)     34 / 52       

Quote:

Tell us more poita!

lol, ok.

Strategies in SupCom are a lot less defined as they are in AOE. When someone decides to boom or turtle, it's not 'all-out' like it is in AOE. It's just a tendancy to have more of one thing than usual. For example, a boomer will still raid and tech up, but they'll be expanding their economy more than the average player. Usually you don't really think about what strategy you are using, you just kind of notice certain emphasises in your playing. If I notice that my opponent is building more point defenses than I can handle then I'll just tech up to get some artillery to take it out.

The usual game goes something like this: Both players almost always start out by building 2 mass extractors, 2 power generators (both resource generating buildings) followed by a land factory to produce units. From there usually the land factory produces a scout followed by a few engineers (to build more structures) then assault units to raid and gain map control. The engineers will spread out to build more mass extractors, power generators and factories to fuel your war machine. You start gaining more and more resources and producing more and more units. When you feel the time is right, you will start to upgrade your factories to the next level to produce better units and upgrade your mass extractors to produce more resources. The process of upgrading is a lot more gradual than AOE. There's no sudden age up where you gain a huge advantage on your opponent if they are an age down. You have to upgrade your factories one by one, so you'll usually be building a mix of units from different tech levels.

I can't continue just now as I'm gonna get some sleep. I can go on more but it would be easier if you just asked specific questions rather than me just rambling on about anything and everything.

Ossian
Skirmisher
posted 12-11-06 03:18 PM EDT (US)     35 / 52       
Ok here are some questions, how big are the maps if you could compare the scale to AoE3, are those drop ships any good? (the big air crafts with the long spine in a screen shot and little robots are latching on to it)

Also is water a after thought like aoe3?

TOO_Saruman
Skirmisher
posted 12-11-06 03:21 PM EDT (US)     36 / 52       
at least for me water isnt an afterthought at all....if someone boat booms and u dont ur basically screwed lol :P

ESO: empirejoao3
Clan:Proud
"You know the world is going crazy when the best golfer in the world is black, the best rapper is white, and the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese" LOL!!!
Wabbitkiller
Skirmisher
posted 12-11-06 04:12 PM EDT (US)     37 / 52       
I didn't bother with EE2 either. EE1 had WAAAAY too any balance issues, and Sierra quite frankly SUCKS as a software vendor these days, so I pretty much KNEW EE2 would suck.

Unfortunately AoE3 appears to be the only game that's getting activity right now. Don't get me wrong, AoE3 is a great game, there just aren't any alterntaives.

Sens_fan
Skirmisher
posted 12-11-06 04:51 PM EDT (US)     38 / 52       
Sargon II wrote:

Quote:

There is a game that is very similar to Empire Earth, with a larger community. It's called Rise & Fall: civilizations at war.

You got to be kidding me. Rise and Fall had great potantial and introduced some great new ideas, i.e. new ship battles, First person exprience. The problem with it was that it was never really marketed, and since the game went from Stainless Steel Studios, I think, to Midway during production there are some huge bugs, plus Midway has showed no support for the game and such the community is very small.

Now one game that looks interesting is Supreme Commander, We want more Poita! I checked the site but I did not see any demo, is there only the multiplayer Beta?

poita
Skirmisher
posted 12-12-06 01:40 AM EDT (US)     39 / 52       

Quote:

Ok here are some questions, how big are the maps if you could compare the scale to AoE3, are those drop ships any good? (the big air crafts with the long spine in a screen shot and little robots are latching on to it)

Also is water a after thought like aoe3?

Maps vary greatly. You have your really small maps in which fast units will be at the enemy base in under 30 seconds and really large maps where it will take fast fighter jets around a minute to get there. In the beta, the ranked games are played on maps of all sizes meaning sometimes you get 1v1s on huge maps, which kind of sucks. I've heard from a few people than in the final release 1v1s will only be on the small maps. I'd say that they are similar in size to the normal Aoe3 maps in terms of how long it takes to engage your opponent.

Drop ships are very useful and you'll see them in almost every game. Early game they are used for raids, packing them with a few assault bots and dropping them in the enemy base. You can also hover with them and let your units shoot out but if it gets shot down you lose all the units. It's a bit of a gamble really.

Also, you can set up ferrys with the drop ships. This means that they automatically take units from one point to another continuously. This is a great feature that I use a lot. You don't need it so much on the really small maps but on the medium sized maps it helps.

Water is definitely NOT an after thought. On any map with significant water, you really MUST go to the sea if you want to win. I learnt this the hard way playing against the top ranked player. This was in my 10th game or something. The map was an island surrounded completely by water. I was winning on land but soon I noticed bombardments coming from the sea. He had a destroyer smashing down on my base and it was soon gg. Now every time I play that map, it's an aggressive fight for the sea. Whoever controls the water wins.

Your navy generally consists of subs and long-ranged destroyer type units. Subs can attack anything in the sea while the destroyers bombard onshore and attack other destroyers. There are also other ships such as carriers and cruisers but I haven't really used them yet. I think cruisers are AA and carriers hold aircraft. You also have torpedo bombers which are aircraft that can attack any ship or subs and amphibious tanks that can go underwater and act like subs. You also need to build sonars to detect subs and torpedo defenses. There is plenty to do in the water and is really a good fun part of the game. One team's destroyer can actually sprout legs and come onshore. They rule.

That brings me onto the counter system in SC. In SC, counter usually just means 'can attack'. Subs counter ships and other subs because they can attack them. Torpedo bombers counter ships and subs because they can attack them. There are NO random attack bonuses for any unit. They just do the damage straight out. Other units counter because they are more effective. For example, fast assault bots counter artillery because the artillery won't be able to hit them. The counter system is just intuitive. No random memorizing needed.

Quote:

Now one game that looks interesting is Supreme Commander, We want more Poita! I checked the site but I did not see any demo, is there only the multiplayer Beta?

Yeah it's only multiplayer just now. You can actually play against AI because if your opponent leaves online then the AI takes over for him, so you can just host a game against a friend and ask him to leave instantly. That way you get to play against the AI.

You can only get the beta from fileplanet AFAIK but just now they are not giving out any more keys so you cant play it. I don't know when then next batch comes out.

---

I'd also like to mention the zooming ability. It's really great. I turn off the minimap now because you can just zoom out all the way in an instant and zoom in where you want to be. Also, something that I didn't know about before the game came out is that the units on the minimap have specific icons and are not just dots. The icons have different symbols on them depending on what they attack. For example, torpedo bombers, subs and amphibious tanks all have the same symbol because they all attack sea units and all AA units all have the same symbol. There are also different symbols for structures and it makes it really easy to see what type of units you are lacking and what you need. I play almost the entire game fully zoomed out, only zooming in to select factories and to build structures. I can't stand playing AOE anymore because of having to be so zoomed in.

If there's any more questions, I'd be glad to answer

OutlandishTeacup
Skirmisher
posted 12-12-06 04:19 AM EDT (US)     40 / 52       

Quote:

ok AOE and TWC are obviously the most played multiplayer games online. they are the biggest of all games i have ever seen.

There's a little thing called Counterstrike, mate.

    
Ossian
Skirmisher
posted 12-12-06 09:39 AM EDT (US)     41 / 52       
Ok You've told me enough for me to wait until it comes out thanks poita and it sounds like a supreme game (lame pun)

Krazy_Karl
Skirmisher
posted 12-12-06 10:01 AM EDT (US)     42 / 52       
Counterstrike blows.

Yeah that game sounds good, How big is the file, for the record? (If you can remember)

im in ur base

steelin ur crates
Tulx
Skirmisher
posted 12-12-06 10:21 AM EDT (US)     43 / 52       
Huh, Civilization 4 maybe? I think that you would find this really great choice... I have played it for 9 months. It is XML based so it is totaly moddable. I have always somehow thinked that AOE 3 forums are dead. Heres the biggest fan page of civilization series http://www.civfanatics.com/. I frogot to metion that Civ 4 is turn based but when you start playing it it will feel like RTS. Civ 4 forums are alot bigger than this forum here. It is also has winned a game of the year award (if you care about it).
AuxiliA MieS
Skirmisher
posted 12-12-06 02:17 PM EDT (US)     44 / 52       
I suggest Dawn of war. It`s lot of fun, but it wholly lacks building economy and resource gathering, but the battles are cool. In DoW the terrain actually matters to the troops` fighting performance, and the terrain and maps are quite awesome. And if you like it why wouldn`t you try the WH 40k tabletop games too? I`m sure there is a gaming club community in where you live too. That`s real multiplayer!

M3 15 ur l0rd 4and m45t3r. Y0us4 g0tt4 d0 wh4t 1 t3ll y3r.
Ender_Ward
Skirmisher
posted 12-12-06 02:41 PM EDT (US)     45 / 52       
Why do you have to move specifically to another RTS game? There are other genres out there ...

"One wants to be loved, failing that admired, failing that feared, failing that hated and despised. One wants to instill in other people some form of emotion. The soul shudders before emptiness and wants contact, no matter the cost."
MusketKing
Skirmisher
posted 12-12-06 03:39 PM EDT (US)     46 / 52       
@ poita
- how many play online on average on SupCom

"The better at AoE, the worse at RL" - Doppel
After someone suggesting to make a meatshield to fight off petards..."Where can I find this meatshield? Is it in the TC?" - Sjalle

"That last comment has earned you a ban Musk" - Solus
On realising I was on a 2nd account:"Quinarvy ehhh" - Solus

RUSSIAN CIVIL WAR - VERY GG
Mine and Micky's OPness
Sens_fan
Skirmisher
posted 12-12-06 04:34 PM EDT (US)     47 / 52       

Quote:

Why do you have to move specifically to another RTS game? There are other genres out there ...

Well because alot of us prefer RTS games over other type... It is just that the OP wanted to find a new RTS game.

Ossian
Skirmisher
posted 12-12-06 10:11 PM EDT (US)     48 / 52       
actually the reason why I want another RTS is because my internet is stuck at 28kbs and bellsouth has promised my family DSL speed for over 4 years.

It's not like I want to play RTS, it's just I have to
I would love to play SWBF2 or something, but again, I can't and most likely won't ever be able to until I move out.

KingSteve3721
Skirmisher
posted 12-12-06 11:10 PM EDT (US)     49 / 52       
Ender I think your sig needs changing

I'll be getting SupCom, if anyone wants to know

[FeaR]{KingSteve3721}
“I love my name of honor, more than I fear death.”- Julius Caesar
"The Pope! How many divisions has he got?"- Joseph Stalin
"The hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain."- Napoleon Bonaparte
"Dogs, would you live forever?"- Frederick the Great (addressing retreating Prussians at the Battle of Kolin)
poita
Skirmisher
posted 12-13-06 05:44 AM EDT (US)     50 / 52       

Quote:

Yeah that game sounds good, How big is the file, for the record? (If you can remember)

If you are refering to Sup Com then the Beta is 1.264Gb.

Here is the beta

Remember though that you cannot play it without a beta key and you can't actually get a beta key just now. Hopefully fileplanet will issue more but that's up to them I guess.

Quote:

how many play online on average on SupCom

Usually there are around 400-1000. Peak was 1800 at once. Remember though that this is BETA, not the full game. There will be MANY more when it comes out. I suspect that there will be quite a lot more than AOE considering the current numbers are limited by the number of beta keys that fileplanet has given out.

Quote:

I'll be getting SupCom, if anyone wants to know

Let me know when you get it. My UID will still probably be Poita_

[This message has been edited by poita (edited 12-13-2006 @ 05:44 AM).]

Krazy_Karl
Skirmisher
posted 12-13-06 06:39 AM EDT (US)     51 / 52       
Thanks poita.

I'm not going to DL 1.2GB but if the game gets good reviews then sure I'll buy it.

im in ur base

steelin ur crates
zion_CDawg
Skirmisher
posted 12-18-06 02:41 PM EDT (US)     52 / 52       
hmm i know where to get a beta key o_0
from someone named Poita!

Currently retired from AOE3... moved on to LOTRO... yeah an MMO... but a fun one!
Hockey fan for Life:
"I believe the Canucks of Vancouver are formidable warriors." -Teal'c, Stargate SG-1
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames