You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.17 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Port Forwarding is magic....no more failed to join game!!!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Port Forwarding is magic....no more failed to join game!!!
far_easterner
Skirmisher
posted 12-15-06 05:57 PM EDT (US)         
go here and follow the directions. omg. it's like magic. i can pretty much join like every game!

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WRT54G/Age_of_Em pires_III.htm

[This message has been edited by far_easterner (edited 12-15-2006 @ 08:50 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 12-16-06 07:56 AM EDT (US)     1 / 17       
Too bad that doesnt work for everyone

"such a kind fellow!" ~ ķįŋğ_Ćħŗĩ_ĬĬ

Furby killer should be crowned leader of AOE forum ~ [SW_GD]Teutonic

Mokon
Skirmisher
posted 12-16-06 08:49 AM EDT (US)     2 / 17       
If ppl do it right it will

The problem is with NAT traversals... a properly configured router will fix that.

Or conversly we could just get rid of NAT, and make elpea ruler :P

hehe, dont worry tho, once IPv6 comes out I bet we wont have as much of this sorta thing to worry about.
Also, easterner you might wanna fix that link

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • [This message has been edited by Mokon (edited 12-16-2006 @ 08:50 AM).]

Botolf
    Royal Guard
    posted 12-16-06 10:25 AM EDT (US)     3 / 17       
    I finally figured out where to configure my router, no longer get the error.

| Botolf the Crazed |
    There's treasure everywhere!
    Winner of the Kman Lame Puns Award
    schildpad
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-16-06 10:40 AM EDT (US)     4 / 17       
    @mokon, i wish it was that easy. Some routers cannot be properly configured because they just suck. Yes you can open the ports, but then it still doesnt work.

I had a zyxel router, and it was impossible to let it work with aoe3. (so now we dont have a router anymore and we screw our isp because they screwed us).

Another example is the experia box. I dont know anyone that got it working with aoe3. It is just impossible.

Ipv6, no more routers . Too bad no one is really in a hurry. You any idea when ipv6 finally comes?

Tsar_Ivan_VII
    Banned
    posted 12-16-06 10:42 AM EDT (US)     5 / 17       
    i think ipv6 finally comes out some time in the star trek voyager timeline...
    TjRome
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-16-06 03:44 PM EDT (US)     6 / 17       
    can anyone suggest a router that is compatible w/ most games?

I used to have a microsoft (mn600?), and the thing was great. I never had problems. But it crapped out.

Now I have a lynksys wrt54Gv5. I hate it. I've done all the port forwarding, static IP, etc., and I still get the "failed to join game" message a lot.

I don't care about being able to hack the router, or add 3rd party firmware. I just want one that works (which seems to be asking a lot).

What are you people using?

plexiq_
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-16-06 07:10 PM EDT (US)     7 / 17       

Quote:

Now I have a lynksys wrt54Gv5. I hate it. I've done all the port forwarding, static IP, etc., and I still get the "failed to join game" message a lot.

I don't care about being able to hack the router, or add 3rd party firmware. I just want one that works (which seems to be asking a lot).

What are you people using?

The Linksys Wrt54G is a great router. I have it working with AoE3 with no problems. Either enable UPNP in Windows+Router, OR do the port forwarding...

Just tripple check your config, the router should be perfectly fine (unless your particular piece is broken, but i dont think so.)

panda234
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-16-06 07:28 PM EDT (US)     8 / 17       
    I could never get my netgear to work even with port forwarding. Never had a problem with any other online game but ao3 wouldn't even work after hours of tweaking. I was getting failed to connect a lot and unhooked the netgear and haven't had one since. It was a couple of years old but still should have worked with upgraded firmware.
    Elpea
    Hal
    (id: lp_usa)
    posted 12-16-06 07:43 PM EDT (US)     9 / 17       

Quote:

Or conversly we could just get rid of NAT, and make elpea ruler :P

I loled .

Tsar_Ivan_VII
    Banned
    posted 12-16-06 07:47 PM EDT (US)     10 / 17       
    I have tried both with a WRT54GL and i still get hit with a ton of connect failures. and i know what i am doing.

I DONT GET IT.

TjRome
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-16-06 08:36 PM EDT (US)     11 / 17       
    "The Linksys Wrt54G is a great router. I have it working with AoE3 with no problems. Either enable UPNP in Windows+Router, OR do the port forwarding...

Just tripple check your config, the router should be perfectly fine (unless your particular piece is broken, but i dont think so.)"

I've got uPNP enabled and the proper ports forwarded. No dice.

It might be that I have version 5 of the router. I've read that the firware is not linux based, and thus people have complained about it.

FriedPegasus
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-16-06 08:49 PM EDT (US)     12 / 17       
    The v5 does suck for the reason you mention but it shouldn't prevent you from connecting if you forward the ports and everything else is in order. That's the router I use with just the updated firmware from Linksys.

They did actually come up with an alternative version of DD-WRT for it, but because of the v5's flash memory limitations it's a greatly reduced package.

panda234
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-17-06 08:30 AM EDT (US)     13 / 17       
    I guess this begs the question as to what is different about AO3. WIth other online games you just don't see these discussions. People connect without problems, and where there is an issue it is a "one-of" and can be fixed right away. This seems to be a constant theme with people having problems and then ongoing discussions about what works and what dosn't work. You just don't see these discussions in other game forums.
    schildpad
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-17-06 09:30 AM EDT (US)     14 / 17       
    Because almost every other game has a client server model. You connect to another server, and that server isnt behind a router and it is always exactly the same.

AOE3 is p2p, you connect to other computers, not a server.

TjRome
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-17-06 12:22 PM EDT (US)     15 / 17       
    " The v5 does suck for the reason you mention but it shouldn't prevent you from connecting if you forward the ports and everything else is in order. That's the router I use with just the updated firmware from Linksys."

Do you get "failed to join game" messages when on ESO?

I CAN connect to games, but it seems that ~1/4 of the games I can't join. I wonder if there is sometimes compatibility issues w/ my router and other routers out there and that will never be solved.

zion_CDawg
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-18-06 02:26 PM EDT (US)     16 / 17       
    everytime someone starts another thread like this i have to jump in and state again... after over a year of troubleshooting and tweaking, including getting a new router, I still get the FTJG error more than 50% of the time. Currently using wrt54g as well... not sure what version.

Currently retired from AOE3... moved on to LOTRO... yeah an MMO... but a fun one!
    Hockey fan for Life:
    "I believe the Canucks of Vancouver are formidable warriors." -Teal'c, Stargate SG-1
    mentork
    Skirmisher
    posted 12-18-06 05:31 PM EDT (US)     17 / 17       
    they dont have my router on the list ;_;

i am forever doomed to a life of "failed to join"

[This message has been edited by mentork (edited 12-18-2006 @ 05:32 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames