You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.21 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » why are ppls ranks and ratings not so high in twc?
Bottom
Topic Subject:why are ppls ranks and ratings not so high in twc?
lanceleglos
Skirmisher
posted 01-25-07 07:32 AM EDT (US)         
there are less of the highest ranks in the top 500 any ideas of the the factors to why this is?

i.e lower straa has majorrs instead of colnols

AuthorReplies:
Mokon
Skirmisher
posted 01-25-07 08:59 AM EDT (US)     1 / 21       
TWC has not been around as long as aoe3.... give it some time and the rates will fill up. Also another hidderence is a lots of newbs are still playing aoe3 so twc doesnt have the same pop

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • Captain_N
    Banned
    posted 01-25-07 12:14 PM EDT (US)     2 / 21       
    !mokon no need to be so critical

not everyone can afford TWC , so yes, population is lower

but that is not a good reason to label vanilla players as noobs

hellofromireland
    Skirmisher
    posted 01-25-07 12:59 PM EDT (US)     3 / 21       
    ^^ That reminds me of an IQ test:

Some Newbs play vanilla,

Tick the correct box
    All newbs play vanilla
    All people who play vanilla are Newbs
    Vanilla is for Newbs
    _/ Some Newbs play vanilla but not TWC thus lowering the growing population on that particular server.

I'm actually from N.Ireland
    tvurt
    Skirmisher
    posted 01-25-07 01:06 PM EDT (US)     4 / 21       
    Mokon is right. The level of competition is much higher in TWC than AOE3, or AOT/AOM.

Real enthusiasts and experts bought TWC first and they tend to be much better than the casual gamer.

It is shame that PR is so inaccurate, it is impossible to know if the Major you are playing is a 2.1k who will just smoke you (well me) or an 1750 that you can beat in 15 minutes. Makes games last a lot longer than they need to, because of set up for different strats vs different levels of play.

tvurt
    [img]http://www.skwizz.com/aoe_sign/tvurt@5@3@1@aoe3x@250,250,250@220,172,58.png[/img]
    [img]http://www.skwizz.com/aoe_sign/tvurt@5@3@1@aoe3@250,250,250@220,172,58.png[/img]
    Captain_N
    Banned
    posted 01-25-07 01:33 PM EDT (US)     5 / 21       
    "Makes games last a lot longer than they need to, because of set up for different strats vs different levels of play."

Soo... what is up with that? You want to know EXACTLY how good someone you're playing is? Its obviously a lack of skill on your part in choosing the wrong strat at the beginning.

The way I play games is try to imagine that the person is the toughest opponent possible.

tvurt
    Skirmisher
    posted 01-25-07 01:57 PM EDT (US)     6 / 21       
    Really? You can be much more aggressive vs lower level of players. They will not raid, age, or make a military as fast as a good player.

A good player will be able to handle a "game-ending" rush, or crush your boom; while crap players like myself will just wilt. I play very differently based on the rank of who I am playing. A standard 3 bank FF with a fast cannon push is nothing to a 1900, while it will crush a 1650. Why wait and mass fast halbs, and 8 cannon when 3 cannon 10 halbs and some skirms will end the game?

Think about it. Why drag a game out by waiting to mass vs a noobish player?

Same thing with a rush, everybody over 1800 can handle just about any rush while noobish players lose all the time to straight Jann rushes. Why bother being fancy with silk road when you can march in with 20 janns a few abus and GG?
    But vs a good player 20 janns = GG for them.

tvurt
    [img]http://www.skwizz.com/aoe_sign/tvurt@5@3@1@aoe3x@250,250,250@220,172,58.png[/img]
    [img]http://www.skwizz.com/aoe_sign/tvurt@5@3@1@aoe3@250,250,250@220,172,58.png[/img]
    Brtnboarder495
    Skirmisher
    posted 01-25-07 02:50 PM EDT (US)     7 / 21       

Quote:

!mokon no need to be so critical
    not everyone can afford TWC , so yes, population is lower

but that is not a good reason to label vanilla players as noobs

Umm, what?

TWC is $30, if you can't afford it chances are you can't afford a computer to play it on in the first place.

And Vanilla players aren't n00bs.

Quote:

The way I play games is try to imagine that the person is the toughest opponent possible.

Good idea.

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
    Captain_N
    Banned
    posted 01-25-07 04:50 PM EDT (US)     8 / 21       
    ******TWC is $30, if you can't afford it chances are you can't afford a computer to play it on in the first place.********

^^

You can, if its not your computer that you play on.

*******Really? You can be much more aggressive vs lower level of players. They will not raid, age, or make a military as fast as a good player********

^^ Yes, but then you allow yourself to slip into a state of mediocrity... you should always be trying to improve

Ender_Ward
    Skirmisher
    posted 01-25-07 07:54 PM EDT (US)     9 / 21       
    1. Competition is tougher (more serious players in TWC, less casual ones).
    2. Quicksearch is based on PR level from the very start, so you don't get n00b bash (as much) for months on end.
    3. The combat is more brutal (alot more powerful units running around).
    4. The game is less balanced, so if you fight with a disadvantaged civ against the top ones most of the time, your rating can be run into the ground quickly.
    5. Lastly, ratings inflate slowly, and it's only been a few months since TWC release. They will eventually get close to what they were in vanilla.

Now forget about ratings and play for fun, experiment, go nuts, and play with the civ you enjoy. Nobody, not even you will care about what your rating was five years from now.

"One wants to be loved, failing that admired, failing that feared, failing that hated and despised. One wants to instill in other people some form of emotion. The soul shudders before emptiness and wants contact, no matter the cost."
    Eicho
    Skirmisher
    posted 01-25-07 09:15 PM EDT (US)     10 / 21       
    AOE3 vainilla players are NOT noobs.
    i play in vainilla because i live in argentina and here 25/1/07 the war chiefs has not been released.
    more than 3 months have passed since it has been released in US.
    i am waiting for it to be relesed, when i see it i buy it.
    so some players like me that live in 3 world countries play in vainilla cause we CANT have the war chiefs.

but in a month my parents ae going to US so they will buy me TWC
    (but it will be in english, fuk)

[This message has been edited by Eicho (edited 01-25-2007 @ 09:16 PM).]

JarlNick
    Skirmisher
    posted 01-25-07 10:39 PM EDT (US)     11 / 21       
    It's good to have you back Captain_N.....I missed you man.

ESO: JarlNick

Want to talk OP? AOE3 Abus Guns at release were nightmares. But I knew how to take care of them! Beware my Culverins you artillery bastards! Oh wait...- MNBob

Captain_N
    Banned
    posted 01-25-07 10:47 PM EDT (US)     12 / 21       
    Ya dude i was on a weeks vacation

we went to where they had the battle of little big horn! was awesome

pics soon to come

KingSteve3721
    Skirmisher
    posted 01-27-07 12:36 PM EDT (US)     13 / 21       
    Well, ranks werent so high in the first 4 months of aoe3, plus not everybody has twc, plus alot of people hate the balance in twc so they are avoiding it atm.

[FeaR]{KingSteve3721}
    “I love my name of honor, more than I fear death.”- Julius Caesar
    "The Pope! How many divisions has he got?"- Joseph Stalin
    "The hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain."- Napoleon Bonaparte
    "Dogs, would you live forever?"- Frederick the Great (addressing retreating Prussians at the Battle of Kolin)
    Walker_5
    Skirmisher
    posted 01-27-07 02:21 PM EDT (US)     14 / 21       
    It does seem players of Captains rank for instance, are a lot stronger in TWC than in Vanilla.

I am Captain in vanilla but only Master Sergeant in TWC, so as a test I went back to play a few games in Vanilla, and in a flash I had 3-0... Although I played QS I played one captain, and still wasn't all that tough.

I believe it is some what because of the unbalance of the civs I play as well, since I like playing as Russia and Portugal. At least Russia has been nerfed badly with the villager spawn rate reduced, and for Ports I feel that they didnít get any of the new boost some other civs got...

Beren Erchamion
    Skirmisher
    posted 01-28-07 01:08 AM EDT (US)     15 / 21       
    does anyone know the numbers as far as players on each game.

does ESO report the number of ppl online for that specific game or both games (number in top left when online)

RedStripe
    Skirmisher
    posted 01-29-07 10:27 PM EDT (US)     16 / 21       
    I used to be a general, and now im a 1st lieut.
    plexiq_
    Skirmisher
    posted 01-30-07 04:53 AM EDT (US)     17 / 21       

Quote:

does anyone know the numbers as far as players on each game.

TWC total active*: 15726
    AoE3 total active*: 23619

*Active player: Played at least 1 rated game within the last 2 weeks.

Walker_5
    Skirmisher
    posted 01-30-07 06:47 AM EDT (US)     18 / 21       
    @RedStripe:
    Really, when was it you were a General?
    Right now you are rated 1lt in vanilla as well, arn't you?

When did it change? a patch or only for TWC?

[This message has been edited by Walker_5 (edited 01-30-2007 @ 06:49 AM).]

Brtnboarder495
    Skirmisher
    posted 01-30-07 07:32 AM EDT (US)     19 / 21       

Quote:

It's good to have you back Captain_N.....I missed you man.

Are you serious? <_<

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
    Captain_N
    Banned
    posted 01-30-07 09:44 AM EDT (US)     20 / 21       
    now tell me what is that supposed to mean! Does it mean you hate me?
    justiw
    Skirmisher
    posted 01-30-07 10:26 AM EDT (US)     21 / 21       
    Firstly, many of the top active players left AOE3 for TWC. These players started TWC with low rankings along with everyone else. It takes time to build rankings when all the opposition also has low rankings. For instance, a former Colonel starts TWC and he is ranked Conscript. This guy will play the highest ranked guy he can find a game with (probably a 2nd lt as a guess). The former col. will kill the 2lt, and become a private while the 2lt may lose a lot of rank even though he obviously played a superior player. So, the constant incoming of new players to TWC that were good in AOE3 keeps the rankings down. They will go up when fewer new players are joining TWC.

Secondly, many players will only play a few games online and quit when they are discouraged by losses. These players leave the game with sub 1600 ratings. Since cuetech uses 1600 as the 'average' of all ratings, good players ratings will go up to pull the average up. This is called 'rating inflation.' Recently, cuetech has improved to try to remove these inactive players from the ratings. The problem is in AOE3 good players started with inflated ratings, and they are playing against other players with inflated ratings. As long as good players ratings are inflated, they will stay inflated. The only way to prevent this inflation is to add some new talent to the pool and let them beat the inflated players. This will never happen in AOE3.

In short, the rankings (PR) and ratings (cuetech) for AOE3 and TWC are different. You can only compare TWC with TWC. If you try to compare AOE3 to TWC you will only see that they are different. But, the system still works in both AOE3 and TWC because the scales are relative.

Counter the attack, then Counter Attack!!!
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames