Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Yukon
Bottom
Topic Subject:Yukon
Brtnboarder495
Skirmisher
posted 01-26-07 05:36 PM EDT (US)         
I never seemed to notice this until recently, but why is it that Yukon is a map that favors rushing so much? It's perfect for Ottos, 3TP's for silk road, no berry bushes or stragglers, or in other words you can't turtle or stay defensive. Russians benefit because map control is very important here too, and there is plenty of hunting if you hold map control. How can one go about winning against a rusher on this map?

It's almost like the features of the map, force you into the middle. This is great and all, but not when your disadvantaged against a rusher or very far away from resources. I understand that he who does not herd will have to resort to berry bushes, but there isn't even that option on Yukon! Again, there are very few stragglers if any for wood.

So I may just be playing wrong on Yukon, but until someone proves me wrong or can assist me I can't help but think this.

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
AuthorReplies:
Voltiguer
Skirmisher
posted 01-26-07 07:01 PM EDT (US)     1 / 12       
This is an Ottoman map. Brits say goodnight.

Nootka rushing used to be very popular on it, too.

Angel Walker
Skirmisher
(id: Just a player)
posted 01-26-07 09:07 PM EDT (US)     2 / 12       
Play Iroquois. Forward Warhut. Ship 3 Settlers on it. Lure all his hunt behind it. Type GG. This is just a theory, but worked wonders with Outposts when I played Ottos

But I think you're right. Just like some maps favor FFing (Texas) or NR (Amazonia), other favor rushing.

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
"Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.
Pig2
Skirmisher
posted 01-27-07 02:11 AM EDT (US)     3 / 12       

Quote:

This is an Ottoman map. Brits say goodnight.

I've been owned by a brit on this map.

Medio
Skirmisher
(id: Mediolanus)
posted 01-27-07 03:52 AM EDT (US)     4 / 12       

Quote:

I've been owned by a brit on this map.

than that must have been your fault.

Anyway, it's more an Iroquois mas than an Otto one. Just put that warhut up right and let him try to get those TC's.

Not to Mention Iroquois are the best treasure gatherers in the game and Yukon is a treasure-heavy map.

micky_tee
Skirmisher
(id: micky_t)
posted 01-27-07 06:47 AM EDT (US)     5 / 12       

Quote:

Just put that warhut up right and let him try to get those TC's.

hehe I have that prob.

armyballer - Another 3v3, this time my team is winning, (about an hour into it). One of the other team players admits defeat and resigns, then out of no where I get OOS message. I'm pissed, I again log onto agecommunity and see I have been given a LOSE. How did this happen?

AceOfKings - ender_ward hacked into your game and made it go OOS

Unban JamesLock
James Lock
Skirmisher
posted 01-27-07 03:01 PM EDT (US)     6 / 12       
For Ottoman I can't choose which map I prefer, this or Great Lakes.

The lack of extra TPs is made up for by the fact you can attain cree CdB at the native sites, and the trackers are good against a lot of units.

Thanks to all those that signed the petition to get me unbanned here.
And special thanks to smashnbash for making it.
FERRANTE
Skirmisher
posted 01-27-07 04:08 PM EDT (US)     7 / 12       
This is the best map for iro IMO. As you can gather a lot of tressure, ship villis to the forward war hut and take the heard. In addition to this, a semi ff works great and 3 tps are available to take over and upgrade to stagecoach for resources.
Adam42
Skirmisher
posted 01-27-07 04:17 PM EDT (US)     8 / 12       
A "map control" map doesn't really benefit russia anymore because a good player (or a good civ) can force them into a turtle so easily. Yukon is a good map for ottos and iro, yeah - and for dutch because of those 5000 gold mines.
F1RE_FLY
Skirmisher
posted 01-27-07 11:41 PM EDT (US)     9 / 12       
If you get a CdB or settler from a treasure in the north of the map, wall that part off at both ends and you have a nice bit of map control. Just hope he has no units in there when you start walling.

Multiple walls will prevent him from getting in for all of early game. Assuming your army is almost as good as his (or equally good), if he starts to take the walls down, you can attack his base and he'll have to postpone the wall sieging.

It is not game winning, but helps a bit when hunts and mines are running out in your base and he has the main map under control.

~иииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииии~
ESO: F1R╔_FLП
~иииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииии~
Brtnboarder495
Skirmisher
posted 01-28-07 00:26 AM EDT (US)     10 / 12       
Unfortunetly that side of the map - while gold heavy, never seems to become key until the second "half" of the game. The early hunts and colonial warfare take place mostly on the "main" land, and so this is ususally the deciding factor in the game.

I like the walling idea, just sometimes there is so much to wall, especially if you have no trees or natural barriers to assist you.

Beren Erchamion
Skirmisher
posted 01-28-07 00:34 AM EDT (US)     11 / 12       
the whole other side of the map is plentiful, and you usually

start with 1 hunt and another decently close (able to herd in)

tell me what civ you play and I can give you a suggestion

in general I recommend setting up a base on other side of the map as to claim resources and watch over tps.

you can also use the bottleneck entrance to your advantadge when fighting.\

I once played a british player who manor boomed all over the otherside of the map. while i sieged his base. it started with just a few vils. I had to deal with LB and walls. he ended up winning the game without a tc.

his eco was extremely decentralized and my slow jans couldn't chase vils everyhere. It was a unique and unlikely game but it still happened.

Brtnboarder495
Skirmisher
posted 01-28-07 02:41 PM EDT (US)     12 / 12       
It's way to difficult to manour boom off in a corner when the otto player is scouting with the explorer constantly, and raiding with 3 hussars.

But this doesn't pertain to Britain in particular.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames