You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.20 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » What is the difference between macro and micro?
Bottom
Topic Subject:What is the difference between macro and micro?
Pig2
Skirmisher
posted 01-27-07 06:35 AM EDT (US)         
Is it a typo or is there a difference? And if so, then what is it?
AuthorReplies:
micky_tee
Skirmisher
(id: micky_t)
posted 01-27-07 06:45 AM EDT (US)     1 / 20       
micro is micro management on a small scale

macro is management on a large scale, sort of like the overall view of managing economy and military

micro management is the nitty gritty stuff, say instead of sending 5 vills to a tree and having 2 walk to the next tree, send 3 to one tree and 2 to another, saving time. Or focus firing military, making sure units are fighting their counters etc.

Hope this helps, correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

armyballer - Another 3v3, this time my team is winning, (about an hour into it). One of the other team players admits defeat and resigns, then out of no where I get OOS message. I'm pissed, I again log onto agecommunity and see I have been given a LOSE. How did this happen?

AceOfKings - ender_ward hacked into your game and made it go OOS

Unban JamesLock
Major Helper
AoKH Survivor, Mr. White Teeth
posted 01-27-07 06:53 AM EDT (US)     2 / 20       
micro is battle management
macro is villager management

goood players can handle both of those

correct me if im wrong tough :P

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_
You, you... Finnish Barstool! - Enraged Popeychops
Major Helper: Helping AoE3H Housewives since 2008 - As_Saffah
I spent 3 months trying to convince a door that I was an intelligent life form and gave up. - TLM
Winner of "Nicest" (2012-2016), "Most Helpful" (2014) and "Best Moderator" (2015-2016) Forummer Awards
-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-
Mokon
Skirmisher
posted 01-27-07 07:54 AM EDT (US)     3 / 20       
mic hit it right on the head

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • [This message has been edited by Mokon (edited 01-27-2007 @ 07:54 AM).]

KingSteve3721
    Skirmisher
    posted 01-27-07 12:24 PM EDT (US)     4 / 20       

Quote:

micro is battle management
    macro is villager management

goood players can handle both of those

correct me if im wrong tough :P

No.

Think of it like economics. Macroeconomics vs. microeconomics,

Macroeconomics is more like the big picture of supply/demand etc, while microeconomics is like the small picture of small increases/decreases in a particular item, over a small amount of time/places etc.

Micro in this game is using your mouse to your advantage, saving time by doing little usually non-noticable moves.

Macro is the big picture of your economy, map control, military growth, military placement, military tactics, global economy management and stuff.

[FeaR]{KingSteve3721}
    “I love my name of honor, more than I fear death.”- Julius Caesar
    "The Pope! How many divisions has he got?"- Joseph Stalin
    "The hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain."- Napoleon Bonaparte
    "Dogs, would you live forever?"- Frederick the Great (addressing retreating Prussians at the Battle of Kolin)
    James Lock
    Skirmisher
    posted 01-27-07 02:23 PM EDT (US)     5 / 20       
    Training the most cost effective units could be considered a part of macro. For example, training culverins to destroy cannons instead of melee cavalry (You may get the cannons but you spent more than he spent on those cannons, because his meatshield killed your cavalry.

Thanks to all those that signed the petition to get me unbanned here.
    And special thanks to smashnbash for making it.
    donkee
    Skirmisher
    posted 01-27-07 02:32 PM EDT (US)     6 / 20       
    Skill (micro) vs. Knowledge (macro)

If peeing your pants is cool, consider me Miles Davis.
    Pig2
    Skirmisher
    posted 01-27-07 08:13 PM EDT (US)     7 / 20       
    Thanks.
    kilmaim
    Skirmisher
    posted 01-27-07 09:40 PM EDT (US)     8 / 20       
    reference this.

[This message has been edited by kilmaim (edited 01-29-2007 @ 05:50 PM).]

crazykid
    Skirmisher
    posted 01-27-07 10:27 PM EDT (US)     9 / 20       
    thanks kilmaim
    Ender_Ward
    Skirmisher
    posted 01-27-07 11:13 PM EDT (US)     10 / 20       
    In simplest terms,

Macro is macromanagement of your game as a whole. It is the management of your economy. It is strategic decision making on a grand scale. It is the "game plan" part of the game.

Micro is micromanagement of units. Getting them to do more, sometimes significantly more than their standard AI allows.
    Formations, maneuvers, overriding AI actions, minimising unit weaknesses while maximising their strengths, etc, these are all part of micromanagement.
    Good micro further allows you to execute complex tactics which win you battles decisively, not just through attrition. A player's micro ability affects how well he can execute his overall game plan.

"One wants to be loved, failing that admired, failing that feared, failing that hated and despised. One wants to instill in other people some form of emotion. The soul shudders before emptiness and wants contact, no matter the cost."
    kilmaim
    Skirmisher
    posted 01-28-07 07:36 AM EDT (US)     11 / 20       
    reference this

[This message has been edited by kilmaim (edited 01-29-2007 @ 06:10 PM).]

OttovonBismarck
    Skirmisher
    posted 01-28-07 12:58 PM EDT (US)     12 / 20       
    *head explodes*

My definition of macro is this:
    your overall gameplan such as your strategy, building placement etc.
    a.k.a. something I suck at

micro: how you control your units in specific situations and how quickly and efficiently you get them to perform their tasks.
    and something I suck at even more.

KingSteve3721
    Skirmisher
    posted 01-28-07 02:12 PM EDT (US)     13 / 20       
    Wow, thanks for your....speech there killmaim, but my goal was to be "vague and abstract" because this is a forum of "people (kids)". If you do want me to waste 2 hours posting 2 10 paragraph posts that nobody will read I'll just go ahead, but it's funny to me how you act so serious on an online game forum who's average users age is really more like 15-16.

I do not see how your first explanation of micro is not "using your mouse to your advantage" as I put it.

[FeaR]{KingSteve3721}
    “I love my name of honor, more than I fear death.”- Julius Caesar
    "The Pope! How many divisions has he got?"- Joseph Stalin
    "The hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain."- Napoleon Bonaparte
    "Dogs, would you live forever?"- Frederick the Great (addressing retreating Prussians at the Battle of Kolin)

[This message has been edited by KingSteve3721 (edited 01-28-2007 @ 02:13 PM).]

kilmaim
    Skirmisher
    posted 01-29-07 08:00 AM EDT (US)     14 / 20       
    reference this.

[This message has been edited by kilmaim (edited 01-29-2007 @ 05:49 PM).]

Gomezd
    Skirmisher
    posted 01-29-07 08:21 AM EDT (US)     15 / 20       
    You arent helping killmaim, all the guy wants to know is what is the difference between the micro and macro which people use in this forums regarding aoeIII.

Regardless wether its the accurate defenition of micro and macro is irrelevant because he only cares about what the people here interpret it to be, which was already answered.

[This message has been edited by Gomezd (edited 01-29-2007 @ 08:26 AM).]

kilmaim
    Skirmisher
    posted 01-29-07 09:07 AM EDT (US)     16 / 20       
    Really? Anyone who reads this should now be able to fully grasp and understand and be able to apply the concepts (relating to microeconomics, macroeconomics, micromanagement and macromanagement) in context - proper - as they apply to any situation regarding AOE III (or in business, management, economics and the military...if only in theory, all of which directly correlate to the general principles that govern AEO III). Thus, your assupmtion/ntion is wrong.
    Lord_Richjp
    Skirmisher
    posted 01-29-07 11:55 AM EDT (US)     17 / 20       
    If they could be bothered to read that much when the simple explanation was given just before it and they know what people mean in terms of the game they are discussing.

My grandmother slaps harder than the Agra Fort shoots. And she's dead. ~ Ender_Ward

By the same token, if I attempt to operate the mouse using nothing but my butt-cheeks, micro will also come down to "luck." ~ Beatnikjoe
    micky_tee
    Skirmisher
    (id: micky_t)
    posted 01-29-07 01:13 PM EDT (US)     18 / 20       
    If, according to Mokon, the expert, that I "hit the nail on the head" why do we need to carry on this discussion when the question was answered on the 2nd post?

*Prepares to dance*

armyballer - Another 3v3, this time my team is winning, (about an hour into it). One of the other team players admits defeat and resigns, then out of no where I get OOS message. I'm pissed, I again log onto agecommunity and see I have been given a LOSE. How did this happen?

AceOfKings - ender_ward hacked into your game and made it go OOS

Unban JamesLock
    kilmaim
    Skirmisher
    posted 01-29-07 05:45 PM EDT (US)     19 / 20       
    If I were a beginner (or anything but an expert) and had no clue of the game, your reference would remain - as it does - to not make any sense whatsoever! It is so far gone and excessively vague that not even you could explain it on a level that could be understood to possess any useful meaning to someone who isn't an expert. This leaves me to conclude that without having to read what I wrote, you have no literal sense of what the entire scope of it actually means.

Please feel free oo give a literal definition in context?

From my standpoint of your definition, it seems you don't have the slightest notion of what the term actually means and merely regurgitated what others in the past have stated. Besides, your definition of macromanagent is completely wrong. Regardless of who else said what...

reference this

[This message has been edited by kilmaim (edited 01-29-2007 @ 06:15 PM).]

Brtnboarder495
    Skirmisher
    posted 01-29-07 06:04 PM EDT (US)     20 / 20       
    I wasn't aware Mokon was an expert.

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames