You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.24 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » ok, i just played a sioux and i am wondering something
Bottom
Topic Subject:ok, i just played a sioux and i am wondering something
d53man
Skirmisher
posted 03-12-07 10:19 PM EDT (US)         
can someone give me exaclty what the sioux rifle riders have multipliers against and exactly what i should use against them. I'm playing french.
Damnit, im unsure to use skrims or dragoons, but dragons lose to rifles. damnit im confused
AuthorReplies:
futurehermit
Skirmisher
posted 03-12-07 10:22 PM EDT (US)     1 / 24       
i don't play sioux, but my understanding is that they are a basic hand cavalry and as such beat up on light infantry and artillery...
Jumbalaya
Skirmisher
posted 03-12-07 10:33 PM EDT (US)     2 / 24       
Use skirmishers, they are the only unit in the game that rifle riders don't counter.

lol im jumby
Beatnik Joe
Skirmisher
posted 03-12-07 10:36 PM EDT (US)     3 / 24       
Dragoons will not lose to rifle riders. You can counter rifle riders either as you would heavy cavalry or as you would light (or ranged) cavalry. Since Rifle Riders have a bonus vs. heavy infantry, the best choices are dragoons or skirmishers. Both of them get a damage bonus vs. rifle riders.

If I was choosing, dragoons would be the ideal counter unit.

Strategies:
- BWKiC - A British Fast Fortress strategy
- The Aztec Scout Slam- An Envoy Rush, Native-Style

[This message has been edited by Beatnik Joe (edited 03-12-2007 @ 10:48 PM).]

ultimitsu
Skirmisher
posted 03-12-07 11:09 PM EDT (US)     4 / 24       
the only thing that DOESNT counter them is falcs and melee cavalry.

all HI in melee + all LI in range + all ranged cavalry + all buildings counter them

James Lock
Skirmisher
posted 03-13-07 10:39 AM EDT (US)     5 / 24       
Dutch can counter them with fast halbs, though I'd think slow halbs die too quickly to counter them.

Thanks to all those that signed the petition to get me unbanned here.
And special thanks to smashnbash for making it.
Angel Walker
Skirmisher
(id: Just a player)
posted 03-13-07 12:34 PM EDT (US)     6 / 24       

Quote:

the only thing that DOESNT counter them is falcs and melee cavalry.

You forgot Grenadiers and Warhips

Although I think most Heavy Infantry would actually lose, besides the very fast ones... I'm not sure how Musketeers perform though.

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
"Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.
George_uk
Skirmisher
posted 03-13-07 12:50 PM EDT (US)     7 / 24       
Muskets suck vs RR.

Previously known as MoNo Ager
jaafit
Skirmisher
posted 03-13-07 12:51 PM EDT (US)     8 / 24       
As a sioux player, I can say definitely go with dragoons. If he's smart the sioux player will switch to bow riders for your artillery at which point you will want cassa/halbs.

Quote:

Dutch can counter them with fast halbs

True but even dutch fast halbs lose if there's a meat sheild protecting the rifle riders.

agecommunity quote of the month Ok i have payed for this game for al my moneythat i get in a month so when i go online isee these 9 year old kids that beat me that have played for 2 weeks and i have played since release of vanilla so im pretty pissed of that es dosent want to do anything about the balance of the game.

[This message has been edited by jaafit (edited 03-13-2007 @ 04:46 PM).]

ultimitsu
Skirmisher
posted 03-13-07 01:17 PM EDT (US)     9 / 24       

Quote:

True but even dutch fast halbs lose if there's a meat sheild protecting the rifle riders.

which sioux unit was "meat shield" again?

OttovonBismarck
Skirmisher
posted 03-13-07 04:32 PM EDT (US)     10 / 24       

Quote:

Although I think most Heavy Infantry would actually lose

Most do, I played an unrated game against a port player a couple days ago, and I microed his HI to death with a few RR's. It was actually pretty funny to watch 15 halbs chase 5 rr's across the map and never getting a chance to attack.

Quote:

which sioux unit was "meat shield" again?

clubs? There not great, but they suffice....sort of.
jaafit
Skirmisher
posted 03-13-07 04:42 PM EDT (US)     11 / 24       
Yeah clubs are probably the most cost effective. I've also used Axe riders which of course die pretty fast, but they slow down the halbs and give the RR a chance to get their shots in before they have to run.

Check out the battle at the end of this recording for an example.

agecommunity quote of the month Ok i have payed for this game for al my moneythat i get in a month so when i go online isee these 9 year old kids that beat me that have played for 2 weeks and i have played since release of vanilla so im pretty pissed of that es dosent want to do anything about the balance of the game.
Smear
Skirmisher
posted 03-13-07 04:46 PM EDT (US)     12 / 24       
Id use wakina spam with rifle rider back up before i used clubs and rifles...

"Smear's WarChief tumbles through the stage, leaps off of it right onto Mokon's car in front of the stage."
Full Guides:
~Sioux Survival Guide: The Last Stand
~The Tashunke Shank: A New Hope
Mini Guides:
~Sioux vs French: Napoleons Downfall
ultimitsu
Skirmisher
posted 03-14-07 00:38 AM EDT (US)     13 / 24       
warclub as meat shield? the unit that has cost more than musketeers yet have same HP as skirms and no ranged resistance and next-to-zero battlefield worthiness? you gotta to be kidding.

axe raider to slow down halbs!!? they have even less melee HP than RR per cost!

that question wasnt meant to be answered because sioux has no meatshield unit. kinda like dutch in vanilla, you have to play intense micro the whole game to stay alive.

with RR, you either HnR to death, or you leave them standing and take melee damage, or you should pull them right out of battle field.

jaafit
Skirmisher
posted 03-14-07 03:21 AM EDT (US)     14 / 24       
Nah warclubs are an okay meatshield. Not as cost effective and hardy as what other civs have but certainly a lot better than having to hit-and-run your ranged units and giving up the RR 1.5 ROF.

Brtnboarder495
Skirmisher
posted 03-14-07 03:51 PM EDT (US)     15 / 24       
Dutch, Germany and Sioux all have something in common in age2, they lack any sort of deceny meat shield.

Dutch has pikes .. which in melee get owned by everyt other HI.

Germany has dopps, which is better than nothing, or pikes, but again, they don't suffice.

Sioux's clubs are faster than pikes and a little more effective against other HI but the difference is pretty small.

These civs lack muskets, but Dutch could deal without them because of unique church card, and halbs in age3.

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
Adam42
Skirmisher
posted 03-14-07 04:07 PM EDT (US)     16 / 24       
Warclubs suck and are of very little to no use beyond colonial, and aren't really much good in colonial anyway. As a meatshield, they are worse than pikes.
jaafit
Skirmisher
posted 03-14-07 06:00 PM EDT (US)     17 / 24       
Useless beyond colonial? Have you ever seen what 25 warclubs can do with seige dance??

LordKivlov
Royal Guard
posted 03-14-07 06:41 PM EDT (US)     18 / 24       
Win:
Dragoons
Cavalry Archers
Light* Infantry
Eagle Knights
Fusiliers

Lose:
Everything else

They beat muskets rods and all other HI to death with their speed (6.75/8.10) and their high RoF with a x3 multiplyer against HI.

I find the best combo is Rifle Riders + Wakinas, wakinas take on HI/LI*/Rng Cav and the Riders take out HI/HC/Arty.

And the advantage of having both anti HI is rod and halb spam is useless against it due to the insane amounts of damage towards HI being put out.

Proud Citizen of Sovietcanuckistan
Adam42
Skirmisher
posted 03-14-07 06:43 PM EDT (US)     19 / 24       

Quote:

Useless beyond colonial? Have you ever seen what 25 warclubs can do with seige dance??

Your standard army (wakina+AR+RR) with siege dance is good enough for nearly all sieging purposes, and the units are so so much better against everything else. And for the times when that won't suffice (like vs an iro turtler) then 3 tc booming is a better option anyway.
Brtnboarder495
Skirmisher
posted 03-14-07 07:23 PM EDT (US)     20 / 24       
I agree with you larky, but I fail to see as to how clubs are inferior to pikes as a meatshield. Either way, we both agree on one thing, they overall suck.

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
jaafit
Skirmisher
posted 03-14-07 07:30 PM EDT (US)     21 / 24       
I think they suck too but there are some cases when they are the best option you have. To not use them in those cases just because another civ has something better is senseless.

George_uk
Skirmisher
posted 03-15-07 04:43 PM EDT (US)     22 / 24       
I remember reading somewhere that axe riders with all the card upgrades (extra 30% attack) has better siege than a club. Not sure if it's true or not though.

EDIT: Tashunkes have awesome siege btw. Much better than axe rider siege.

Previously known as MoNo Ager

[This message has been edited by George_uk (edited 03-15-2007 @ 04:44 PM).]

Adam42
Skirmisher
posted 03-16-07 02:11 PM EDT (US)     23 / 24       

Quote:

I agree with you larky, but I fail to see as to how clubs are inferior to pikes as a meatshield. Either way, we both agree on one thing, they overall suck.

They're worse because while having the same HP, they cost more. Seeing as the only thing you're looking for as a meatshield is HP/cost, pikes work as a better meatshield than warclubs.

Quote:

I think they suck too but there are some cases when they are the best option you have. To not use them in those cases just because another civ has something better is senseless.

There are some cases where they work... though I would never use them in colonial to finish off an enemy, it's just asking for you to be outmassed by LI and pushed back. I'd rather go fortress for better units and siege dance.

Only time I ever use warclubs nowadays is to take down an FFing iro's forward huts (even though most of them go defensive nowadays anyway). I can't think of another use fo them tbh...

scriv1984
Skirmisher
posted 03-16-07 02:48 PM EDT (US)     24 / 24       
the thing i dont understand about posts like these, i bet it takes about 2 mins to find out yourself, and then a few hours to find out through asking questions on the forum....

how long can it take to make a single player skirmish and just check the stats of the rifle rider in-game. It tells you everything you would need to know....

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames