You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.15 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Ransoming, most cost effective thing in the game!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Ransoming, most cost effective thing in the game!
Ossian
Skirmisher
posted 03-15-07 01:14 AM EDT (US)         
I was thinking about it and why don't people ransom their explorers when dead? they just leave them lying in some corner, dead or alive, and don't do anything with them unless they need a cheap scout or a TC built.

But really if you think about it for 100 coin (pretty much the same cost of a musketeer) you get a Super unit that can take a whole barrage of enemy fire and can detect stealth.
Later on in the game (IV-V) his HP is so high that he is a tank that really can save your army a good 2 rounds of a whole army.

So why don't people use it?

I just thought I would ask because I was sitting around being a nerd and thinking about the most cost effective unit in the game, I was thinking assassin until I remember that little dude that carries his rifle around like he owns the world and I thought to myself he must be "the one"

So anyways, discuss it?

*WINDOWS CRITICAL ERROR 19891126*
Product ID: Ossian Discontinued
Contact your network admin for more details
about this special edition of player...

Allthough cetans are darker, did you know that if you read the word 'cetan' as a dutch word, that you get the same sound as when reading 'satan' in english.-Furby Killer
AuthorReplies:
Roark
Skirmisher
posted 03-15-07 01:50 AM EDT (US)     1 / 15       
Well it's really a 200 gold cost since you are giving that 100 to your opponent.

sometimes it's worth it, sometimes it isn't

ESO: Naevius
LordKivlov
Royal Guard
posted 03-15-07 01:59 AM EDT (US)     2 / 15       
Because pitting my imperial upgraded 24 ranged damage explorer against a 103 ranged damage warchief is depressing considering I paid 3k food to get my explorer to 24 dmg!

Proud Citizen of Sovietcanuckistan
diesel_123
Skirmisher
posted 03-15-07 03:26 AM EDT (US)     3 / 15       
As Roark already stated, it's more like 200 gold. Also, early game losing an explorer to the enemy gives them a good amount of XP.

I agree though, later in the game the explorer is a good unit to absorb damage. XP and gold aren't as important and your explorer gets pretty decent HP.

GreatViet
Skirmisher
posted 03-15-07 03:45 AM EDT (US)     4 / 15       
xplorer has the crack shot ... which can be used to kill enemy expensive unit ...
Zongo
Skirmisher
posted 03-15-07 04:32 AM EDT (US)     5 / 15       
lategame is def worth it, early on I dont like to give my opponent a free 100 gold, I rather let him heal up a bit and rescue him with a unit

Old Indian: Once upon a time, a woman was picking up firewood. She came upon a poisonous snake frozen in the snow. She took the snake home and nursed it back to health. One day the snake bit her on the cheek. As she lay dying, she asked the snake, "Why have you done this to me?" And the snake answered, "Look, bitch, you knew I was a snake."
Ossian
Skirmisher
posted 03-15-07 09:35 AM EDT (US)     6 / 15       
He has more then 24 damage in age IV I can tell you that,
Also even at the cost of 200 coin, it is the most cost effective unit considering it has more HP then a cuirassier and true less damage but I don't mind.

HP > damage.

*WINDOWS CRITICAL ERROR 19891126*
Product ID: Ossian Discontinued
Contact your network admin for more details
about this special edition of player...

Allthough cetans are darker, did you know that if you read the word 'cetan' as a dutch word, that you get the same sound as when reading 'satan' in english.-Furby Killer
kuzyk
Skirmisher
posted 03-15-07 09:43 AM EDT (US)     7 / 15       
age 4 explorer rocks. Boom! headshot! even mamelukes are afraid of the headshot.
Catabre
BFME2H Replay Reviewer - Library Guildsman
posted 03-15-07 11:10 AM EDT (US)     8 / 15       
I like to rasnom him but not in the first two ages. It gives the enemy too much resources. Its more cost effective to rescue him.

"Apparently, arguing for the right to do something no-one wants to do is the lifeblood of HG." - TaylorFlame

"Whatever happened, BFME2H did it better. No Exceptions." - EnemyofJupitor
LordKivlov
Royal Guard
posted 03-15-07 12:52 PM EDT (US)     9 / 15       
Yea my mistake its 24 in imperial and then 36 with the upgrades but still, an iroq doesn't have to pay for it and gets 70 more damage than me! Also he has an area crack shot which I'd take over my explorers crackshot any day, hell I'd take the British swashbuckler attack if it wasn't taking up an age 2 card.

Also I found out they fixed the convert bug in a game yesterday the hard way :P My poor warchief didn't stand a chance and my treasure got jacked haha.

But yea, 3032 hp with in imperial an around 2.2k or so in industrial, definatly worth it to have him stand out infront of your flimsy units, especially if you have your explorer card because you've got your explorers dog with a good amount of hp (Also affected by the capitol upgrades I think, had 2.6k hp in imp and him and my explorer were just absorbing volleys from unmicroed cannons while my Opri's and strelets plowed through their army)

Proud Citizen of Sovietcanuckistan
THUNDER5027
Skirmisher
posted 03-15-07 02:41 PM EDT (US)     10 / 15       
one time I(british) rushed a german and after destroying his rax i started on his TC. His explorer comes waltzing in and my 15+ muskets and 10+ lb take his ass out in a second. he goes on to ransom his explorer to me helping feed me coin to make more muskets and send more shipments for xp. after doing this 3/4 times he finally just qiut. LOL. not much help for him that way!!
XploSionS
Skirmisher
posted 03-15-07 03:39 PM EDT (US)     11 / 15       
ye that happened to me once but the reason they do it is to buy themselfs some time... if someones standing outside ur tc and u have a decent econ still gathering and uv just put up a rax but have no army then the explorer can be used to buy time because think about it logically... if you take down a tc and he still has his explorer its almost pointless BUT if you get him explorer and tc and just wall his explorer in then hes pretty much dead unless he sends covered wagons(which nobody does lol)

eso name: _XploSionS__

===quit due to the many many whinge and whine topics===
White_IrishKing
Skirmisher
posted 03-16-07 03:39 AM EDT (US)     12 / 15       
explorers are very useful through out the game. too bad i sometimes forget about him and forget to use his shot on units. but man is that shot useful, especailly vz mercs and cuirs.

ESO: White_IrishKing
Woot got 2 medals! Gold XP British and Silver British Wins!!!

http://www.freewebs.com/trtaoe/index.htm

SUX2000
Skirmisher
posted 03-16-07 12:48 PM EDT (US)     13 / 15       
Besides explorer tho, I believe ERK/2 pop Cuirs are the most cost effective units.

_____________________________\||/
______/____\_________________ /...\
______________\_____________(..__..)
______________[[_Crayola_]]>_. \___/
______________/_____.________ -||-
_____'-_______/____._.___._._.___/\
As_Saffah
Scenario Reviewer
posted 03-16-07 01:21 PM EDT (US)     14 / 15       
Spain at least, and definitely those who have invested in nootka or carib training powers or healing should be ransoming IMO. Timing is everything. You don't want to help bankroll your opp's age up but you don't wanna wait so long that you have no tc at all.
Strong Man
Skirmisher
posted 03-18-07 02:56 AM EDT (US)     15 / 15       
Crack shot or other explorer attack can kill many units but heaviest mamelukes and it has to charge up even with ransom.

The point to ransom (or not to ransom) is that explorer alone won't do much against enemies in number, player has to make a company for best use; When you can train an army, you won't bother to consider ransom.

In case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening and good night!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames