You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Sioux counter for light cav?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Sioux counter for light cav?
futurehermit
Skirmisher
posted 03-18-07 11:32 AM EDT (US)         
I'm still learning Sioux and I'm curious as to how to counter light cav (ruyter, dragoon, etc.) most effectively?

I've heard the usual Sioux fortress army is axerider, riflerider, and wakina rifle, but in my experience thusfar that army is very vulnerable to mass light cav?

Should I go light cav myself (bow rider)? Most people say that clubmen suck...

I'm not sure what to do really...

Dutch seems to be by far giving me the most problems so far...They turtle up behind lots of buildings and spam ruyter/skirm/cannon behind their buildings. If I put a bunch of vils on siege dance they outboom me and if I don't, I can't tear down their buildings. *Sigh* I just don't know what to do vs them?

AuthorReplies:
Angel Walker
Skirmisher
(id: Just a player)
posted 03-18-07 11:36 AM EDT (US)     1 / 12       
Either Wakina Rifle or Cetan Bow, both counter them pretty well. Cetan Bow do more damage, but have less range, so you might prefer the Wakina Rifle... also, as the Sioux Warchief doesn't take extra damage from light cavalry, keep him nearby, to speed up your infantry.

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
"Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.
GarlicKing
Skirmisher
posted 03-18-07 12:01 PM EDT (US)     2 / 12       
I had problems with this earlier today as Sioux, don't even try using War Clubs because you'll lose every last one with even the most basic light cavalry hit and run tactics.

I haven't tried using cetan on light cavalry Walker I'll give that a try next time, thanks!

futurehermit
Skirmisher
posted 03-18-07 12:38 PM EDT (US)     3 / 12       
I guess I'll try adding a larger proportion of wakinas first and see how that goes...

The thing I hate about the cetan bows is that they do this massive windup that takes forever...

Brtnboarder495
Skirmisher
posted 03-18-07 02:26 PM EDT (US)     4 / 12       
Now that FP are weaker, wakinas are easily in competition with FP for the strongest gunpowder infantry unit in the game.

wakinas+axes ftw

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
ultimitsu
Skirmisher
posted 03-18-07 02:54 PM EDT (US)     5 / 12       
sioux has this problem, it is pretty definite.

ES created culverin for a reason, some times it is just near impossible to kill well guarded falcs in melee or close range.

LI only beat RC in a very passive manner. it takes 12~13 wakinas to 1 shot kill a dragoon, and do you know how many wakina can die from 1 shot of 2 falcs?

It is not as bad in late game, where you have massed and upgraded Axe raiders that can just push through and force dragoon to either back off or engage melee. but in early game it is not possible, you do that you will loose.

exc4libulz1022
Skirmisher
posted 03-18-07 03:33 PM EDT (US)     6 / 12       
...wakinas. like brtn said, possibly the best gunpowder LI in the game right now.

and about dutch...ur not gonna beat them no matter what u do so dont get too excited about learning how to counter light cav :P

"he will have a hard getting banks up"
~rel4xed

"I accidently drop kicked someone once"
~george_uk

[This message has been edited by exc4libulz1022 (edited 03-18-2007 @ 03:34 PM).]

futurehermit
Skirmisher
posted 03-18-07 04:31 PM EDT (US)     7 / 12       
thanks guys, seems like i've just encountered a weakness of the civ that i will have to try and compensate for.

any tips on how to play to avoid this weakness?

Smear
Skirmisher
posted 03-18-07 04:35 PM EDT (US)     8 / 12       
People underrate bow riders, they work pretty well and double as an anti cav. bow rider + wakina ftw

"Smear's WarChief tumbles through the stage, leaps off of it right onto Mokon's car in front of the stage."
Full Guides:
~Sioux Survival Guide: The Last Stand
~The Tashunke Shank: A New Hope
Mini Guides:
~Sioux vs French: Napoleons Downfall
Adam42
Skirmisher
posted 03-18-07 05:36 PM EDT (US)     9 / 12       
Against dutch it should be halb+cannon that you fear and not ruyter+skirm+cannon. Last time I faced that combo I massed AR upgrades and AR, used damage dance and cause ruyter aren't as good as goons I owned all his skirms and cannon while not losing so many AR, then pulled back raided a bit etc. etc.

Against halb+cannon you can forget about doing that, the combo is near impossible to beat as sioux unless you use the stealth WC with the artillery owning upgrade, but I haven't tried that yet.

futurehermit
Skirmisher
posted 03-18-07 05:38 PM EDT (US)     10 / 12       
oh don't worry i've been pwned by halb cannon as well, rofl...

keep in mind i'm a low hc with sioux and don't have a ton of good cards yet...

i just don't really know how to face dutch...

Smear
Skirmisher
posted 03-18-07 06:16 PM EDT (US)     11 / 12       
Halb/cannon? are you joking? mass rifle riders eats that...

"Smear's WarChief tumbles through the stage, leaps off of it right onto Mokon's car in front of the stage."
Full Guides:
~Sioux Survival Guide: The Last Stand
~The Tashunke Shank: A New Hope
Mini Guides:
~Sioux vs French: Napoleons Downfall
futurehermit
Skirmisher
posted 03-18-07 09:30 PM EDT (US)     12 / 12       
^^^i got owned by that combo before i really understood rifle riders. right now my main struggle is with cav-counter-cav units and when civs like dutch mass units behind buildings, that is tough for sioux imo.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames