You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.15 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Is it just me or do longbows/xbows/cav archers and uhlans suck?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Is it just me or do longbows/xbows/cav archers and uhlans suck?
LordBob13
Skirmisher
posted 07-15-07 07:40 PM EDT (US)         
xbows: they die like flies. People say that they're good vs infantry, but I dont see a multiplier vs them. Frankly I think they can more effective counter hussars than infantry

longbows: low atttack,only 15, and only 18 vs inf, low health, good range but slow starting animation so they cant hit and run well

Cav archers: low atack, half of a what a dragoon has and only 2.3 multiplier vs cav(compared to 3x for dragoons) less speed than a dragoon. Slightly higher health but thats all

Uhlans: I think thats pretty self explanatory

SO... Am I right, or am I just being an idiot?

From a poster at Agecommunity (Talking about the 4 cow age up option):

"Only a noob like you doesn't realize how valueble it can be. That's 2000 food waiting to be gathered"
LOL
AuthorReplies:
SlavE_2_FreedoM
Skirmisher
posted 07-15-07 08:23 PM EDT (US)     1 / 15       
Longbows are a crazy annoying defensive unit.

Xbows are great en mass and seem to beat most LI (mace,strel, not sure bout aenaa) pretty convincingly but do much better vs horses than those guys due to high base attack and are dirt cheap.
John GrahamLeigh
Skirmisher
posted 07-15-07 08:24 PM EDT (US)     2 / 15       
Crossbows are cheap, so you can get lots of them. In mass they can be highly effective in the Colonial Age; later on they're outclassed.

Longbows benefit from their long range, but need something else to protect them against any hand-to-hand troops who can get close. In mass, and shielded from cavalry or artillery, they can shred almost any opponents. Very realistic if you think about the battles of Halidon Hill and Crecy.

Cavalry archers have a faster rate of fire than dragoons and, I've found, are just about as good against their hand cavalry preferred targets. I use them quite a bit with my Russians, largely because of the infinitely repeatable Age IV card, and disagree with the received wisdom that they're useless.

Uhlans can't be hurled in to carry all before them, like gendarmes or spahis, but they're about as useful as hussars for scouting, raiding, taking out artillery etc. They can be much improved by upgrade cards.

Just my opinions.
StonewallJ
Seraph Emeritus
(id: Conquistador34)
posted 07-15-07 09:57 PM EDT (US)     3 / 15       
Longbows are decent, not the best colonial unit though.

xbows are very good, watch so Sephiroth VODs to see them in action.

Yes, cav archers are not so good, and Uhlans are ok, better than some units. Plus, they are free with shipments.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][] Stonewall J [][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
IRP_m0f0
Skirmisher
posted 07-16-07 00:18 AM EDT (US)     4 / 15       
you suicide the uhlans since most are free
AI Guy
Skirmisher
posted 07-16-07 01:10 AM EDT (US)     5 / 15       
Longbows have 1.5 rof so their attack is really 30.

posted 07-16-07 03:39 AM EDT (US)     6 / 15       
Lbows are good due to their ROF. That is as long as they dont have to hit and run, then you got a problem.

Late game cav archers are better vs melee cav then goons. They got slightly lower attack after you include multipliers and ROF, but much higher health.

"such a kind fellow!" ~ ķįŋğ_Ćħŗĩ_ĬĬ

Furby killer should be crowned leader of AOE forum ~ [SW_GD]Teutonic

LordBob13
Skirmisher
posted 07-16-07 07:58 AM EDT (US)     7 / 15       
I thought longbows had the same ROF as muskets

"Only a noob like you doesn't realize how valueble it can be. That's 2000 food waiting to be gathered"
LOL
Michel Ney
Skirmisher
posted 07-16-07 08:19 AM EDT (US)     8 / 15       
Longbows are a good unit, as long as you use other units with them as everyone obviously does. And even by themselves they can be very useful

xbows are cheap and can help protect against rushing, but I have seen players use them very effectively

Calvary archers are not very good, but Uhlans are decent and are free as others have stated

So most of the units are good and have their purpose, except for maybe calvary archers which I don't see in use...pretty much ever

I accept chaos, I'm not sure whether it accepts me. - Bob Dylan
theboywonder916
Skirmisher
posted 07-16-07 04:53 PM EDT (US)     9 / 15       
longbows are awesome and ulahns are cool for a free unit.
kuzyk
Skirmisher
posted 07-16-07 08:20 PM EDT (US)     10 / 15       
longbow shoots every 1.5 seconds. musket every 3.
LordBob13
Skirmisher
posted 07-16-07 08:29 PM EDT (US)     11 / 15       
never knew that thanks. But wouldn't that make longbows a bit too powerful then?

LOL
LordKivlov
Royal Guard
posted 07-16-07 08:34 PM EDT (US)     12 / 15       
In reality, the longbow is a glass cannon. They have a high damage output but their low hp balances it out. The same goes for cassadores.

Proud Citizen of Sovietcanuckistan
Brtnboarder495
Skirmisher
posted 07-16-07 09:32 PM EDT (US)     13 / 15       
longbows cant H&R thouhgh, huge weakness.

xbows rock in age2 and for most of it, tho decent alternative for ports and germany in age3 esp with besterios. cav archers suck and always have and always will. uhlans are just imbalanced. longbows are good units with yeomen and veteran upgrade, but suck in early colonial.

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
LordBob13
Skirmisher
posted 07-17-07 09:22 AM EDT (US)     14 / 15       
Yeah alright. I'll get yeomen and try longbows behind a musketeer meatshield.

LOL
Brtnboarder495
Skirmisher
posted 07-17-07 02:28 PM EDT (US)     15 / 15       
As a Britain player, I find hussars much more effective. They can raid and take own artillery, while muskets deal with everything else fine, even some smaller groups of infantry, but for larger groups hussar do decent.

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames