Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.15 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Stadhoulder card
Bottom
Topic Subject:Stadhoulder card
Supersammy
Skirmisher
posted 07-17-07 10:58 PM EDT (US)         
Under general circumstances --what is the best time to use this card?
AuthorReplies:
AceOfKings
Skirmisher
posted 07-17-07 11:01 PM EDT (US)     1 / 15       
I use it every game -- generally as the 4th card during an FF, or when im aging up to fortress in a rush/colonial type game.

Maybe if theres some really good treasures you might want to ship it first, otherwise 3 settlers is a very good card (or even colbertism).

ESO= AceOfKings
Current: AOE3 TAD
Supersammy
Skirmisher
posted 07-17-07 11:19 PM EDT (US)     2 / 15       
Yeah, that was what I was curious about. If players use it as their second card/before a TC is needed --as a general rule of thumb. As a new dutch player, it seems hard for me to use it early, I keep making excuses to put it off. But the explorer benefits would seem ideal early on. And if I use it later for the wood savings then I am not sure if it is worth it in a typical 1v1 game.
Timerover
Skirmisher
posted 07-18-07 05:24 AM EDT (US)     3 / 15       
I generally send the cheap market improvements card first, and then the Stadtholder card. However, if I am on a map like the Caribbean that does not have a lot of treasures, I will hold off and get the settlers and a wood upgrade first. On a map like Saguenay, it is always the second card.
micky_tee
Skirmisher
(id: micky_t)
posted 07-18-07 06:25 AM EDT (US)     4 / 15       
I use it on maps like Auracania, Yukon. For example yesterday on Yukon, I was able to recover 300 coin, 90 coin, 1 CdB, 1 Settler, 1 Scout, 125 wood, they're just the big ones I remember, all before reaching fortress.

armyballer - Another 3v3, this time my team is winning, (about an hour into it). One of the other team players admits defeat and resigns, then out of no where I get OOS message. I'm pissed, I again log onto agecommunity and see I have been given a LOSE. How did this happen?

AceOfKings - ender_ward hacked into your game and made it go OOS

Unban JamesLock
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 07-18-07 07:05 AM EDT (US)     5 / 15       
Cheap market improvements is a useless card.

"such a kind fellow!" ~ ķįŋğ_Ćħŗĩ_ĬĬ

Furby killer should be crowned leader of AOE forum ~ [SW_GD]Teutonic

Manno
Skirmisher
posted 07-18-07 07:52 AM EDT (US)     6 / 15       
micky_tee
Skirmisher
(id: micky_t)
posted 07-18-07 07:54 AM EDT (US)     7 / 15       
ya you are better off using 3 settlers, or even 300 resources.
No he isn't, did you read what I said?

I think a CdB, a setter, 390 coin and a 125 wood treasure and all the others that that card allows you to get pwns a 300 resource card and 3 settlers. It depends on the map.

armyballer - Another 3v3, this time my team is winning, (about an hour into it). One of the other team players admits defeat and resigns, then out of no where I get OOS message. I'm pissed, I again log onto agecommunity and see I have been given a LOSE. How did this happen?

AceOfKings - ender_ward hacked into your game and made it go OOS

Unban JamesLock
George_III
Skirmisher
posted 07-18-07 08:41 AM EDT (US)     8 / 15       
Maybe he was speaking about the cheap market card?
AceOfKings
Skirmisher
posted 07-18-07 11:01 AM EDT (US)     9 / 15       
Well sammy, just cuz you send it later doesnt mean its useless. The general idea is to have it shipped before you hit fortress.

You can always have him and the dog fight. It's quite useful, really, because they both do alot of attack, high hp, and they cant die.

ESO= AceOfKings
Flying Bishop
Skirmisher
posted 07-18-07 11:29 AM EDT (US)     10 / 15       
Micky, that's obviously a very exceptional case. And you did send it as your first card, correct? Now, lets look at this objectively. If you look at all your treasures, you managed to recoup roughly 1000 vs before you fortressed at what, 7:30?

So, 3 vills * 7.5 minutes 60 *(60 seconds/1minute)= 1350 VS.

Also, you have to make sure your opponent doesn't treasure steal, find any myriad of ways to kill your explorer before 7:30, and micro your economy. The econ part isn't a problem for Micky, I'm sure, but anyone under PR 25 should pay more attention to eco than explorer in my experience.

I'll stick with 3 vills. Only thing that can hurt that investment is good old fashioned raiding.

And don't try to compare it to an age II or III shipment, it just doesn't stack up. Heck, if you're ffing Dutch can safely skip shipping anything in age I.

The convoluted wording of legalisms grew up around the necessity to hide from ourselves the violence we intend toward each other. Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. You have done violence to him, consumed his energy. Elaborate euphemisms may conceal your intent to kill, but behind any use of power over another the ultimate assumption remains: "I feed on your energy."
-Frank Herbert, Dune

[This message has been edited by Flying Bishop (edited 07-18-2007 @ 11:36 AM).]

CunniJA
Skirmisher
posted 07-18-07 12:07 PM EDT (US)     11 / 15       
What about Colbertism? How does it comapre in villager seconds to 3 vils. If you got enough food treasures, would it be worth it to send Colbertism as a first card instead of three vils?
Parfait
Skirmisher
posted 07-18-07 12:33 PM EDT (US)     12 / 15       
Stadhouder 1st card is best imho. Use it if you need to keep the other guy off of treasures/TPs (otto, spain), if you're planning on 3 TC booming right as you fortress, or simply if you're on a map with great treasures (saguenay, for instance).

I don't think there is any other appropriate time to use stadhouder.

Edit: To answer the question of the poster above me, Colbertism is 1.5 food/second, or about 1.9 villagers hunting. With walking time, colbertism probably catches up to three unupgraded hunters by mid-fortress, but with hunting dogs and steel traps it would take longer.

[This message has been edited by Parfait (edited 07-18-2007 @ 12:38 PM).]

paulthebug
Skirmisher
posted 07-19-07 02:12 AM EDT (US)     13 / 15       
-------------
Micky, that's obviously a very exceptional case. And you did send it as your first card, correct? Now, lets look at this objectively. If you look at all your treasures, you managed to recoup roughly 1000 vs before you fortressed at what, 7:30?

So, 3 vills * 7.5 minutes 60 *(60 seconds/1minute)= 1350 VS.
-------------

sorry, but the calculation isn't right. you don't ship 3 vils at the beginning.
Linuchadnezzar
Skirmisher
posted 07-19-07 12:23 PM EDT (US)     14 / 15       
I thought stadhouders were those weird musks you get when you ship the dutch royal decree... Didn't know there was a card called like that too... for which civ?

ḼĮЙЦḈԊДĐ₦ḜẔДЯ
Modding for: Knights and Barbarians

EMPIRES RISE AND FALL BUT HEROES LIVE FOREVER
AceOfKings
Skirmisher
posted 07-19-07 12:50 PM EDT (US)     15 / 15       
Send colbertism only if you think you're going to get rushed. Its worth it when you have those invisible vils on food if your real vils are going to spend most of the time in your tc.

ESO= AceOfKings
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames