You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.13 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Choosing maps to be randomly picked.
Bottom
Topic Subject:Choosing maps to be randomly picked.
SmashNBash
Skirmisher
posted 07-20-07 10:10 AM EDT (US)         
I was thinking today, what if you could choose the maps you want to be picked from.

Say you want a resource heavy type map, so you choose those maps and then one is randomly picked. Or you could choose to expel certain maps from Standard maps. maps like rockies, Orinoco, NW Territory. You could choose land only maps, water heavy maps, or semi-water maps. I just hate getting stuck with stupid maps like Orinoco when I choose Standard.

It could work like checking a list of maps from a list, or presorted lists that are sorted depending on the type, like water, land etc.

Anyone else think this would be nice to have?

Lolocausts are fun.
AuthorReplies:
Culverin
Skirmisher
(id: Robert_Squared)
posted 07-20-07 11:28 AM EDT (US)     1 / 13       
I think this would be confusing, and since it wouldn't work in QS because everyone would have to be using the regular standard maps, then its usefulness would be limited.

Just my two cents.

Just call me Robert.
My Massgate
ganggreene51
Skirmisher
posted 07-20-07 11:48 AM EDT (US)     2 / 13       
I also feel that they left something to be desired on the quicksearch options. This portion of the program could have been a more rich, feature filled aspect of the game. Along with Maps I would like to see the civs you are willing to play as an option. Balance would be much less of an issue if you could choose to not play Iroquois or Dutch. This would also cut down on people playing those civs if they could not find a game. Which also brings us to a negative of having more options in quicksearch: you may be waiting a long time to find a suitable match. However, if you are willing to wait you will get the game you want. If you get what you want you can't complain about it.
SmashNBash
Skirmisher
posted 07-20-07 11:50 AM EDT (US)     3 / 13       
well, i thought it would be obvious it wouldn't work in QS, but more map subdivisions would be nice.

Lolocausts are fun.
AI Guy
Skirmisher
posted 07-20-07 11:52 AM EDT (US)     4 / 13       
Well, I'd like to see a dropdown box in qs picking water maps, land maps, or both.

posted 07-20-07 12:04 PM EDT (US)     5 / 13       
Too many options would make games more difficult to find.

FFA Fun Series - Spring/Summer 07 winner
AceOfKings
Skirmisher
posted 07-20-07 01:11 PM EDT (US)     6 / 13       
It would be ok in gb but in qs it would screw the concept

ESO= AceOfKings
Current: AOE3 TAD
Oprichnik
Skirmisher
posted 07-20-07 01:20 PM EDT (US)     7 / 13       
I think this is possible already. I'm playing in a tournament where 5 pre-selected maps are to be played at random. Here are the instructions to do this.

For the more adventurous of you, hereís the procedure of making it yourself Ė just open a new document in standard Windows Notepad and into itís body insert this text:

<?xml version = "1.0" encoding = "UTF-8"?>

<randomMaps displayName="WCG Random Maps" imagepath = "ui\random_map\unknown" helpText="WCG California, New England, Great Plains, Saguenay, and Yukon." cannotReplace="">

<map>California</map>

<map>New England</map>

<map>Great Plains</map>

<map>Saguenay</map>

<map>Yukon</map>

</randomMaps>

The file then save under the name for example wcg_fastrandom.set and move into the folder C:\Documents and Settings\Jan Steiner\Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\RM2 (the name in the italics is the name of your account in Win XP). If you have trouble finding the right folder, then head to the folder with your recorded games, from there go a step back and there youíll find the RM2 folder. The same applies for the downloaded version.

If somebody tries this, let me know if it worked. I haven't tried it yet.
kanonkaj
Skirmisher
posted 07-20-07 01:26 PM EDT (US)     8 / 13       
if u use the notepad stuff, it will be unrated wihtout exp!?
Oprichnik
Skirmisher
posted 07-20-07 01:58 PM EDT (US)     9 / 13       
Oh will it? I didn't know that.
Brtnboarder495
Skirmisher
posted 07-20-07 02:38 PM EDT (US)     10 / 13       
For normal play I would have to completely disagree. There are already way to many people who will only play vs certain people on certain maps using certain civs - encouraging similar acts is bad IMO.

Orinico definitely needs to be redone, as does NW territories (open the entire inner river so that you can't easily wall up. Hispaniola and Carolina would be decent if they removed all those extra crates.

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_

[This message has been edited by Brtnboarder495 (edited 07-20-2007 @ 02:40 PM).]

Lord_Jason
Skirmisher
posted 07-20-07 03:27 PM EDT (US)     11 / 13       
I donít mind what maps I play on. I always have it on random. Playing on one map can get you stuck in a rut. I like to mix it up a bit and get used to adapting my strats.
Although I am stuck in a British rut!
When I pick another civ I just cant get used to the free villi not popping up when I make a house.

"You only use Greandiers if someone has hacked your enemy so he cant make military units" - Eicho!!!!

You cant carry an air guitar and a gun at the same time....where there is air guitar there is peace!!

"Christians dont believe in gravity." Peter Griffin
kanonkaj
Skirmisher
posted 07-20-07 05:16 PM EDT (US)     12 / 13       

oprich:nik well u create a new map i think..
im not sure when u dosnt make a new xs. file
SupremeOverlord
Skirmisher
posted 07-20-07 05:20 PM EDT (US)     13 / 13       
IMO, i wouldn't use this. Ill either pick my map and come prepared with a strat or try to adjust my strat according to my map. Its much mor fun that way!

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. -George Patton

Bill Gates' empire's downfall shall be caused by a fruit!

If you are a Christian and not ashamed of it, copy this into your sig.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames