You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.14 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » German Church Tech question....
Bottom
Topic Subject:German Church Tech question....
Tungsten_Knight
Skirmisher
posted 08-22-07 11:59 AM EDT (US)         
I've been practicing with the Germans a lot and was using their church upgrad card. One of their techs increases infantry speed but also increase cost (I think it's +20% speed, but +20% food, wood, gold). My question is whether or not that +20% increase is worth it or not. I mean, it makes your infantry really fast....especially when combined with improved arsenal. But of course, you need shipments...and the other German Church techs aren't the best. I mean, it gives dopplesoldners a speed about 5.4ish....which is fast for an infantry unit but makes them even more expensive. Any comments on the usefulness would be appreciated.
AuthorReplies:
The Anti Elmo
Skirmisher
(id: Led)
posted 08-22-07 12:09 PM EDT (US)     1 / 14       
I cannot see a situation where I would take it.

"My fort was razed by cougars."
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 08-22-07 12:56 PM EDT (US)     2 / 14       
First, only consider using it if you plan to go heavy on doppnels (after patch you might do that). For skirms it is pointless. Then if you are also with inca tp, you can get very fast doppnels. Or you use it to counter (partially) the effect of sollinger steel.

"such a kind fellow!" ~ ķįŋğ_Ćħŗĩ_ĬĬ

Furby killer should be crowned leader of AOE forum ~ [SW_GD]Teutonic

Brtnboarder495
Skirmisher
posted 08-22-07 01:01 PM EDT (US)     3 / 14       
Personally, no.

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
ReichsMarshal
Skirmisher
posted 08-22-07 01:24 PM EDT (US)     4 / 14       
I woud say do use merceneries no church.. but im a noobie whit germans so it isent nesecery best..
Tungsten_Knight
Skirmisher
posted 08-22-07 04:59 PM EDT (US)     5 / 14       
What about if I was going to use mercs? I've been playing against the AI and found that with the Church Card and Military Drummers, Swiss Pikes have a speed of (brace yourself!) 6.5. The only problem I see with that plan is the amount of shipments...
Medio
Skirmisher
(id: Mediolanus)
posted 08-22-07 05:07 PM EDT (US)     6 / 14       
It's a bit of a waste making all your infantry more expensive just to get 10-20 units slightly faster.
the_emperor222
Skirmisher
posted 08-22-07 05:15 PM EDT (US)     7 / 14       
well, late game or treaty( i dont play it) it could be nice to send solingen steel + advanced arsenal + unique church. finnally dat makes + 2 % speed if im right for doppelsoldners. so you have better doppels with same speed.
the only thing is that you have spend 3 shipments and your units are expensiver... 3shipments? then you can just send the 3 upgrade cards for hand infantery. i think i rather want that.

Favourite civ: British
LONGBOWMAN RULES!!!
or maybe not
ultimitsu
Skirmisher
posted 08-22-07 06:55 PM EDT (US)     8 / 14       
first of all, I am fairly sure the price raise is 10%, not 20%.

http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=1,25957,,all

secondly, This tech is pretty good, and it is NOT to be used in conjunction with soligen steel, SS is a waste of a card, marginal boost of HP/Att for late game, huge drop in the most important aspect of HI attribute.

the reason you dont see it much is that german is played so rarely these days and german going into late game in good shape is even rarer.

with 3 HI boost cards, 2 upgrades from AA and the 2000G tech from church, your dopps can end up with very decent HP and attack, but 5.85 speed, cost only 222 res, this is very powerful, considering they do way more damage per pop than rods, and rods have been owning since release of TWC with their 6 speed.

that extra 10% cost is nothing considering how many very decent eco cards german get - Eco theory, royal mint, etc.

with 1.04 it will be even better.
Brtnboarder495
Skirmisher
posted 08-22-07 07:57 PM EDT (US)     9 / 14       
first of all, I am fairly sure the price raise is 10%, not 20%.
Yes, 10% more expensive, 20% faster.

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
Tungsten_Knight
Skirmisher
posted 08-23-07 00:16 AM EDT (US)     10 / 14       
So....I guess most of you are saying in a game where I have the time to boom and make full use of dopplesoldners it would definetly come in handy...but in a normal quicksearch match...it won't be as much use. Thanks for the tips and the correction.
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 08-23-07 03:41 AM EDT (US)     11 / 14       
I wouldnt call sollinger steel a marginal increase in hp and attack...

ultimitsu
Skirmisher
posted 08-23-07 04:32 AM EDT (US)     12 / 14       
withs 3 HI cards, UC and arsenal upgrade, Gurad Dopps have 400 HP and 36 dmg, SS only adds another 100 HP and 10 attack, which is why I call it marginal.
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 08-23-07 05:24 AM EDT (US)     13 / 14       
only 25% more hp and attack, after every other upgrade? Guard Doppls with attack and hp of imperial doppels. Sorry i dont call that marginal

ultimitsu
Skirmisher
posted 08-23-07 06:25 AM EDT (US)     14 / 14       
so we can agree that you'd call something differently to what I'd call it.

done.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames