You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.16 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » elite mantlet potential
Bottom
Topic Subject:elite mantlet potential
dbking
Skirmisher
posted 09-30-07 04:15 PM EDT (US)         
the Elite Mantlet gets bonuses from the iro's siege upgrade cards and from the infantry upgrade cards, thats like 7+ upgrade cards maybe 8.
they have base hp of 400 so u can bring them to around 1100HP
and with the pop decreasing card you can make them be only 1 pop (i think)

so thats a unit with 1100+ hp(!) and 65+ ranged attack,
50% ranged resistance , and ~3.9 speed (with big button)
and only 1 pop(!!!)

i dont know im kinda noob but it seems to me the mantlets can be made to be the strongest unit?

[This message has been edited by dbking (edited 10-02-2007 @ 10:20 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
LordBob13
Skirmisher
posted 09-30-07 04:37 PM EDT (US)     1 / 16       
no one will waste 7-8 cards on a single unit. Any unit can be super strong if every card in the game was used on it. If you even manage to do that, your opponent can simply make whatever counters mantlets.

From a poster at Agecommunity (Talking about the 4 cow age up option):

"Only a noob like you doesn't realize how valueble it can be. That's 2000 food waiting to be gathered"
LOL
dbking
Skirmisher
posted 09-30-07 04:56 PM EDT (US)     2 / 16       
any unit can be strong, but the point with the mantlets is that they can be upgraded TWICE as much ,from both artillery and infantry cards AND -1 pop and the very high hp to begin with (400)

[This message has been edited by dbking (edited 09-30-2007 @ 05:00 PM).]

LordKivlov
Royal Guard
posted 09-30-07 05:02 PM EDT (US)     3 / 16       
Mm didn't Ulti already make a thread about this?

Proud Citizen of Sovietcanuckistan
dbking
Skirmisher
posted 09-30-07 05:04 PM EDT (US)     4 / 16       
well if someone did im sorry i didnt saw im not very active
Angel Walker
Skirmisher
(id: Just a player)
posted 09-30-07 05:38 PM EDT (US)     5 / 16       
Actually, he did.

I'm not really sure about Mantlets, and how good they can get in a standart game. Someone should try them out in Treaty, and then report the results. I've already heard that 1 pop Mantlets can even defeat FU Gendarmes (which are 3 pop now). Worth a try

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
"Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.
PlasmaDogPlasma
Skirmisher
posted 09-30-07 11:58 PM EDT (US)     6 / 16       
no one will waste 7-8 cards on a single unit
That's the beauty of it, all of those cards affect other units.
scriv1984
Skirmisher
posted 10-01-07 06:30 AM EDT (US)     7 / 16       
I am well known for using 5 cards while musk spamming....

1. HP 15%
2. Attack 15%
3. Attack and HP 15%
4. Adv Arsenal (not a direct card but i send it for the musket upgrades)
5. Church tech for thin red line.

In some games, you can really do well by upgrading a unit like this. Mantlet would be even better as the HP and siege are better than muskets and cav are much easier to protect them from than skirmishers....

ESO2 - Crashtest

"I don't have 3 hours to break through your 50 layers of walls to kill you.
Real men play without walls." LordKivlov
Unthinking_Pain
Skirmisher
posted 10-01-07 09:03 AM EDT (US)     8 / 16       
no one will waste 7-8 cards on a single unit. Any unit can be super strong if every card in the game was used on it. If you even manage to do that, your opponent can simply make whatever counters mantlets.
And you can make the counter-counter. This is NOT why people don't ship all these cards. You can still protect your Mantlets with some Musket Riders (for example) and still benefit from the enhanced Mantlets.

Many don't ship all these cards because often increasing a part of your army by 15% is generally not as immediately strengthening as just shipping in more units (or resources). It's part of the real-time tradeoffs.
As_Saffah
Scenario Reviewer
posted 10-01-07 11:02 AM EDT (US)     9 / 16       
I've already heard that 1 pop Mantlets can even defeat FU Gendarmes (which are 3 pop now). Worth a try
I may be missing something here, but the French player can probably replace his cuirs a lot faster than the iro player his fallen mantlets, right? Because thoroughbreds and church cav train tech + riding school makes almost instant cuirs, but mantlets train from the artillery foundry which is slooooooow?

Crunkatog on ESO
Bart331 balance suggestion: aztec: remove civ
Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
Crunkatog on Steam.
PlasmaDogPlasma
Skirmisher
posted 10-01-07 12:15 PM EDT (US)     10 / 16       
^^^^ Fertility Dance?
dbking
Skirmisher
posted 10-01-07 12:22 PM EDT (US)     11 / 16       
beside the fertility dance there is card called "engineering school" that works like the riding one - mantlets train 40% faster.
AgeHead
Skirmisher
posted 10-01-07 02:44 PM EDT (US)     12 / 16       
dbking you may want to check your math. I just tried this out in an actual game. Using the every card (8 of them) and upgrade that even had a chance of effecting the manlet, I was unable to reach the level you mentioned. The Max Stats were:

Champion Manlet:
Hp- 780
Ranged- 46
Siege- 92
Hand- 18

Legendary Manlet:
Hp- 980
Ranged- 58
Siege- 117
Hand- 23

My bet is that some of the Infantry cards that you would think effect the manlet don't. I'm sure someone familiar with coding could explain it better. I found when hit by large groups of melee calvary they fell like dominoes, due to no melee resistance and a pretty lame hand attack.

Not a bad idea though if you're expecting an infantry spam as they wiped the floor with any inf

"If at first you don't succeed , try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool over it."

-My dad
LordBob13
Skirmisher
posted 10-01-07 04:04 PM EDT (US)     13 / 16       
I dont know. It doesn't seem reasonable that 1 unit can count as both infantry and artillery.

From a poster at Agecommunity (Talking about the 4 cow age up option):

"Only a noob like you doesn't realize how valueble it can be. That's 2000 food waiting to be gathered"
LOL

[This message has been edited by LordBob13 (edited 10-01-2007 @ 04:05 PM).]

Cancer of the Head
Skirmisher
(id: say1988)
posted 10-01-07 09:17 PM EDT (US)     14 / 16       
Age head, you are missing something, I just went and tested it, and it is 1024 HP for legendary (without WC, 1245 with) and 62/125 ranged/siege attack.
This is with:
Infantry combat (HP and attack)
Infantry HP
Infantry attack
Siege combat (HP and attack)
Siege HP
Siege attack
Team scout infantry (HP)
Conservative tactics (HP and attack)

All of these cards effect either the AbstractInfantry unit class (which the mantlet has), or xpMantlet. So they all should have an effect, and in my test they all did.

Other mantlet boosting cards:
Engineering school (train time)
Siege discipline (pop)

If you get the right natives, anything that boosts all infantry will boost Mantlets, so they can get even stronger.

PS TWC on this comp is an old version, but checking MNBob's guide there seems to be no differance.
dbking
Skirmisher
posted 10-02-07 07:49 AM EDT (US)     15 / 16       
@AgeHead
in my test they had:
champion 840
legendary 1040

see say1988's great card list to see what you missed

the 1040 instead of 1024 is maybe due to twc version.
with war chief - 1248

i think you right about the cav (and HI) high vulnerability but i think thats where the 1 pop can come handy as you can mass the matlets in huge numbers - like 125+ with the earth mother fire pit dance, , that will allow most of them to shoot the regular damage (using the fire pit's war dance will increase that)
125 units with 1248HP each is hard to beat even with a direct counter

[This message has been edited by dbking (edited 10-02-2007 @ 08:10 AM).]

ultimitsu
Skirmisher
posted 10-02-07 08:23 AM EDT (US)     16 / 16       
you should combo mantlets with aenna or tomahawks, Aenna for HI and tomahawk for cavalry.

they both benefit massively from the 5 infantry cards, as well as not costing gold and mostly food.

on another note, for these who thinks sending 8 upgrade cards is impossible, you need to think again.

iro have very few eco cards, even less decent ones, so while other civs send eco cardss, factory cards, UC or AA etc, iro has all these shipments to put forward to their unit upgrades.

thats what i do in team games, I have sucessfully got very powerful mantlets in fortress age, they are tanks, and they mow down all LI and ranged cav.

[This message has been edited by ultimitsu (edited 10-02-2007 @ 08:34 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames