You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.23 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » HeavenGames Interview With Brian Reynolds: Part 2
Bottom
Topic Subject:HeavenGames Interview With Brian Reynolds: Part 2
StonewallJ
Seraph Emeritus
(id: Conquistador34)
posted 07-12-07 12:51 PM EDT (US)         
Part Two has been released:
HG: Can you tell us more about the new hot keys you are adding to TAD?

Brian Reynolds: Hotkeys... so many hotkeys! First of all at every military building there's a hotkey for queuing up every kind of unit and for queuing up batches of 5 of them (and just to be clear, this feature does include all of the European and Native civs). Other special new keys include the ability to select all of your military units at once as well as a key to select all units of the currently selected type (i.e. you have a Musketeer selected so you hit this to select all your Musketeers),
http://aoe3.heavengames.com/interviews/breynolds2

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][] Stonewall J [][][][][][][][][][][]
AuthorReplies:
Lord_Richjp
Skirmisher
posted 07-12-07 01:01 PM EDT (US)     1 / 23       
you'll no longer be able to see their "name" for the deck (that seemed to incentivize people to use deceptive or gibberish names for their decks
YES!
Other special new keys include the ability to select all of your military units at once as well as a key to select all units of the currently selected type (i.e. you have a Musketeer selected so you hit this to select all your Musketeers)
Sounds Nice

My grandmother slaps harder than the Agra Fort shoots. And she's dead. ~ Ender_Ward

By the same token, if I attempt to operate the mouse using nothing but my butt-cheeks, micro will also come down to "luck." ~ Beatnikjoe
King_Ali_Skahir
Skirmisher
posted 07-12-07 01:50 PM EDT (US)     2 / 23       
Why? those questions were so irrelevant, who chose on asking them? Total waste of an interview.

Who gives a hoot about "how a day at work is for him" i wanna know about the game.

Please give me your opinion on the Fall Of Mankind!!! Ultimate Zidane Video

Glory To the revolution!!!

O=[[[[[[[]]]]]]]=-------,
Get Hooked

[This message has been edited by King_Ali_Skahir (edited 07-12-2007 @ 01:52 PM).]

SmashNBash
Skirmisher
posted 07-12-07 02:01 PM EDT (US)     3 / 23       
^^ yea, perfect waste of 2 questions!

i want to know what counters what, how the export system will work, the consulate, and and how OP it would be to have a fort in age 2!

Lolocausts are fun.
alvaro_qc
Skirmisher
posted 07-12-07 02:49 PM EDT (US)     4 / 23       
What a ..... interview!, I expected an interesting content not this "Would you like a cofe" or "What do you do in a normal day?"
Mikheil
Skirmisher
posted 07-12-07 02:54 PM EDT (US)     5 / 23       
Quote{likewise if you own Asian Dynasties (only) and want to play against someone who owns WarChiefs (only) then you would both need to launch the original Age III icon(aka vanilla)}Quote
This looks confusing
HazardousPickle
Skirmisher
posted 07-12-07 02:56 PM EDT (US)     6 / 23       
Don't complain about the interview, be happy that you get any answers at all.
And besides, you'll only have more to discover by yourself once the game is out!

Agecomm quote of the week: "woooooh my thread got stickied thats a dream come true."

ESO: hazardousPickle
AFF92
Skirmisher
posted 07-12-07 03:59 PM EDT (US)     7 / 23       
The wonder building sounds pretty cool, and the new hotkeys are going to be really helpful!

Okay, as the Indians, wouldn't it make sense to choose the Agra Fort as the first wonder to age up and slap it in the middle of the map? Your enemy can't get units capable of knocking it down until Age 3 or 4.

TAD ROX

[This message has been edited by AFF92 (edited 07-12-2007 @ 04:11 PM).]

The Timid Fool
Skirmisher
posted 07-12-07 04:59 PM EDT (US)     8 / 23       
Maybe u can only build certain wonders depending what age u r in?

("`-''-/*).___..--''"`-._
`6_ 6 ) `-. ( ).`-.__.`)
(_Y_.)' ._ ) `._ `. ``-..-'
_..`--'_..-_/ /--'_.' ,'
(((' (((-((('' ((((
"Black holes are where God divided by zero" -Steve Wright
Twisted fiend
Skirmisher
posted 07-12-07 05:05 PM EDT (US)     9 / 23       
Im pretty sure u have all 5 selectable at the begining
last dragoon
Skirmisher
posted 07-12-07 05:06 PM EDT (US)     10 / 23       
fun

ESO:Zackinator
Currently playing: TAD
Currently using: Russia
Nezahualcoyotl
Skirmisher
posted 07-12-07 05:24 PM EDT (US)     11 / 23       
I'm wondering about the campaign in China coming to the New World. Are they going to meet a civ from TWC? Aztecs maybe? Considering that TWC campaign featured only the Sioux and Iroquois, I think so. Maybe.

BTW, does anyone know a release date yet?

"People react to fear, not love - they don't teach that in Sunday School, but it's true"
Eicho
Skirmisher
posted 07-12-07 06:50 PM EDT (US)     12 / 23       
YES! you wont be able to see Deck Name from your opponent!!

I made a thread of that.. do you remember? then ill post the link.
do you think someone at BHG saw that thread?

and, you can build any wonder in any age.
if you build Agra fort in Age I it will have little HP, probably it will increase attak and HP each Age.

[This message has been edited by Eicho (edited 07-12-2007 @ 06:51 PM).]

StonewallJ
Seraph Emeritus
(id: Conquistador34)
posted 07-12-07 07:20 PM EDT (US)     13 / 23       
The coffee question is a tradition for HG interviews

Edit- and we would have asked a lot more, but it's an interview, not a full question series giving away anything and everything about TAD.

[][][][][][][][][][] Stonewall J [][][][][][][][][][][]

[This message has been edited by Stonewall J (edited 07-12-2007 @ 07:26 PM).]

AceOfKings
Skirmisher
posted 07-12-07 07:25 PM EDT (US)     14 / 23       
The hotkeys are totally unneccesary. The ones we have now are fine. They'll only help non-microing noobs to make this game less of what its supposed to be (a micro intensive game).

Also, i really like how they did the wonders.
Looks like this, for playing asian civs:

Adv: No idle tc time while aging up.
Disadv: must make vils build the wonder to age up at a good rate.

ESO= AceOfKings
Current: AOE3 TAD

[This message has been edited by AceOfKings (edited 07-12-2007 @ 07:26 PM).]

Mikheil
Skirmisher
posted 07-12-07 07:46 PM EDT (US)     15 / 23       
Ye wonders and buildings have gorgeous architecture. so sad you will have to be distroying everything in order to win. i so much like the peacefull and bulding part of age series. i hate to be killing and ruining in order to win. i hope there will be a surprise in the xpansion that will allow for peacfull option to win and will bring emansipation from linear path of only kill and destroy to win. And remember guys at BHG did beatifull job on RoN with many possibilities, peace teck race, assimilation, and loads of others. its overwhelmingly scare even

[This message has been edited by mikheil (edited 07-12-2007 @ 07:50 PM).]

Cancer of the Head
Skirmisher
(id: say1988)
posted 07-12-07 08:22 PM EDT (US)     16 / 23       
Okay, as the Indians, wouldn't it make sense to choose the Agra Fort as the first wonder to age up and slap it in the middle of the map?
It would be good against rushing civs, but it might have a poor immediate bonus, and it might be a much weaker fort than if constructed later. So if a Rush is coming, it could be very useful, but if the Rush doesn't come and it gets easily destroyed by age three cannons, you lose a potentially powerful structure.
If you are facing Boomer, yu might be able to boom better using the Karni Mata to boost gather rates.
Meanwhile, if you are going to be rushed, a cease-fire from the Taj Mahal might give you enough time to counter them. And its immediate bonus may allow you to launch a powerful counter-attack.
There are also two other Wonders to think of, and immediate bonuses that each of the three we know of to consider.
alvaro_qc
Skirmisher
posted 07-13-07 02:13 PM EDT (US)     17 / 23       
Okay, as the Indians, wouldn't it make sense to choose the Agra Fort as the first wonder to age up and slap it in the middle of the map?
What about if the wonders are like the tribal concuil, with later ages, the bonus is bigger. Examples:
  • The Agra fort built in age 1 would have like 100 atack, while you build it in age 4 it will have 500 attack
  • The Taj Mahal bonus if is used in age 2 it will last 1 minute while if it is used in age 5 it will last 3 minutes
  • SmashNBash
    Skirmisher
    posted 07-13-07 02:58 PM EDT (US)     18 / 23       
    ^^ that makes very good sense

Lolocausts are fun.
    George_uk
    Skirmisher
    posted 07-13-07 03:09 PM EDT (US)     19 / 23       
    I just hope a fast iroq rush won't own them

Previously known as MoNo Ager
    AFF92
    Skirmisher
    posted 07-13-07 04:16 PM EDT (US)     20 / 23       
    Thank you for answering my questions, your suggestions sound logical to me.
    Ye wonders and buildings have gorgeous architecture. so sad you will have to be distroying everything in order to win. i so much like the peacefull and bulding part of age series. i hate to be killing and ruining in order to win. i hope there will be a surprise in the xpansion that will allow for peacfull option to win and will bring emansipation from linear path of only kill and destroy to win. And remember guys at BHG did beatifull job on RoN with many possibilities, peace teck race, assimilation, and loads of others. its overwhelmingly scare even
    There may be a wonder victory (remember, they said they were adding most if not all the old AOE 1 & 2 game types). I gurantee that one if not more of the gametypes will allow you to win peacefully (age race?).

TAD ROX

[This message has been edited by AFF92 (edited 07-13-2007 @ 04:16 PM).]

Flammifer
    Kings Guard
    posted 07-13-07 05:57 PM EDT (US)     21 / 23       
    I'm rather confused about this hotkey thing. I love hotkeys and use a good number of them already and often remind myself how I should be using even more.

Queue every unit from all the military buildings and queue 5 of them. Okay, I think we have this already.

Select all military units at once. Sounds interesting. But I'm assuming there will still be the limit of 50 units in a selection. In the end it's probably slightly more useful than the all military units go here button. I guess of a specific type is okay. It'll just be like double clicking except expanded to the whole map instead of just your screen.

What hotkeys players are more interested in are probably those dealing with stances/formations and special abilities. Furthermore making it so that entering your hotkeys isn't such a pain by doing exactly what the custom hotkey mods did and put civ specific units that are similar on the same hotkey. Meaning you don't have to worry about a bunch of conflicts. IE, xbows and mace should have the same hotkey.

NerVe Clan
    SMF AoE3 Recorded Game Data Mod

[This message has been edited by Flammifer (edited 07-13-2007 @ 05:59 PM).]

Cyclohexane
    Skirmisher
    posted 07-13-07 10:25 PM EDT (US)     22 / 23       
    The hotkeys are totally unneccesary. The ones we have now are fine. They'll only help non-microing noobs to make this game less of what its supposed to be (a micro intensive game).
    The game will still be micro intensive. If you spare some time doing something repetative, it will free some time for something else. Experts will just have something else to do.

Besides, the hotkeys listed sound like absolutely nothing new, they can be done now. Hopefully there will be some new formations like patrol, a defend & follow (combined), etc.

Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell out of the way!................CYCLOHEXANE'S FREE GUIDES:

-TAD GUIDE: AOE3 TWC TAD Quick Reference -or view online: On-line
    AOE3 TWC TAD UNIT COMPARISON SPREADSHEET: Unit Comparison Spreadsheet

See other guides, technological advancements, interviewing tips, and more at my website All Things Miscellaneous
    MosheLevi
    Scenario Contest Winner
    posted 07-17-07 12:30 PM EDT (US)     23 / 23       
    Select all military units at once. Sounds interesting. But I'm assuming there will still be the limit of 50 units in a selection.
    Yes, this means that the selection of all military units on the map will not always work well unless they increase the 50 unit limit.

Selecting all military units can help finding those idle units and it will be faster than pressing the hot key for idle units and going through all of them one by one.

I think it would have been nice if we had hot key to select all military units on the screen.
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames