You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.6 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Your Thoughts on the Campeign
Bottom
Topic Subject:Your Thoughts on the Campeign
AFF92
Skirmisher
posted 10-28-07 09:03 PM EDT (US)         
I am in the middle of the Chinese portion of the campeign, and I am greatly impressed with it. The Japanese campeign (for those who don't know, you play the Japan campeign and then China and then India) was lots of fun, especially some of the massive battles that come about on the harder difficulty levels. The story lines are much more interesting and engaging, and the characters are much more believable (no more Circle of Ossus crap).

Thoughts on the campeign?

TAD ROX
AuthorReplies:
CaveTown
VIP
posted 10-28-07 09:56 PM EDT (US)     1 / 6       
"no more Circle of Ossus crap"

There wasn't any of that in the Warchiefs expansion either... they were most of all historical campaigns, just with the Black family in it; kind of like the Chinese campaign, except with quite a bit more historical stuff in it; a lot of campaigns are made up, but kind of historical in these games.

Anyways, I liked the Chinese one a lot. It had very beautiful cinematics, with well designed environments, and a lot of new IGC units, like that huge crowd of people.

The Japanese campaign was alright, however, I didn't understand some of the story, so it kind of confused me.

The Indian campaign I haven't played yet.

Former level designer at Reverie World Studios.
I still do some levels for fun, though!

[This message has been edited by CaveTown (edited 10-28-2007 @ 09:57 PM).]

AFF92
Skirmisher
posted 10-28-07 10:20 PM EDT (US)     2 / 6       
I just started the Indian one, and it looks promising. Another thing I love about the campeign is the powers given to your heroes (very fun!).

The Chinese treasure fleet was awesome, but I just wish those huge cannons on board could be fired sometime. Also, it was kind of cheezy with that little brat wanting to be emperor and he had a stupid accent that really annoyed me.

Well, some of the Japanese battles were real events. The Chinese one, of course, was a "what-if" scenerio, and the Indian one is based on real events as well (or the main real event, the Sepoy Rebellion).

TAD ROX

[This message has been edited by AFF92 (edited 10-28-2007 @ 10:21 PM).]

AI Guy
Skirmisher
posted 10-28-07 10:43 PM EDT (US)     3 / 6       
Chinese one > Indian one > Japanese one
The Chinese one was really fun. The India one also had some good ones in there. The Japanese one was pure crap tbh.

posted 10-28-07 11:23 PM EDT (US)     4 / 6       
Chinese one > Indian one > Japanese one
The Chinese one was really fun. The India one also had some good ones in there. The Japanese one was pure crap tbh.
You didn't like chicko the pet duck?! For shame!

+----------+
| PLEASE |
| DO NOT |
| FEED THE |
| TROLLS |
+----------+
AFF92
Skirmisher
posted 10-29-07 00:04 AM EDT (US)     5 / 6       
The thing I didn't like about the Japanese one is that aging up to the 3rd age was done on a few occasions (usually I was using my resources to fend off attacks, and I never created more villagers then what was given to me). Therefore, I didn't use Japanese artillery very much, which made it all the harder to destroy castles and whatnot.

Oh come on guys, the Japanese campeign was pretty good. I liked having to go win the loyalty of villages (whether through bribes or force), defend forts, evacuate villagers, etc. I thought it was pretty fun, and the daimyo made it easy (simply ship units to you while fighting a battle).

TAD ROX

[This message has been edited by AFF92 (edited 10-29-2007 @ 00:05 AM).]

Myth_dracon
Skirmisher
posted 10-29-07 03:10 AM EDT (US)     6 / 6       
I liked the Japanese story and music a lot, but I think the scenario objectives and general gameplay needed a lot of work. I won the last scenario without achieving ANY of the optional objectives, and there was little need for them anyway. Ishida's castle is better defended on the east than the west, and Ishida only has an insultingly low attack of 10 anyway. Kichiro himself had an ability of questionable use (just what exactly does Storm of Spears do? I don't think it actually does ANY damage) Chiko the duck was cute, lol. XD

Indian music was meh, but storyline was good and gameplay overall not bad. I liked the one where you had to go through the city and rescue the shah using the elephants to trample through the city. Another 'stealth' mission in the tradition of the Warchiefs' Washington one (where you burn the German tents and avoid night patrols), and not bad.

China had probably the best hero abilities, Lao Chen's fist reloaded fast and kills multiple, in addition to just looking awesome, and I used Huang as a siege engine thanks to his grenade attack. However the scenarios were very open-ended and had little direction, so it felt like a blank skirmish rather than a campaign mission a lot of the time.

Another thing unique to the TAD campaigns was that each campaign hero had unique history. Tokugawa's talks about his finding and raising Kichiro, Edwardson's about his racism following his brother's death, and so on, in reference to actual historical wars and attacks (Tokugawa's on the Oda clan, Edwardson's in one war whose name I forgot).

Overall, not bad, though the scenario gameplay wasn't as good as in Age III or Warchiefs and there wasn't as much eyecandy. I think BHG had a good handle on storyline and music and characterization though, which is really appreciated. If ES and BHG worked together more closely in future and looked to their successes in Age II and AoM campaigns more closely, they might just create a winner in future.

[This message has been edited by Myth_dracon (edited 10-29-2007 @ 03:13 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames