You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.13 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Easiest Ai to get along with?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Easiest Ai to get along with?
randomjack
Skirmisher
posted 12-04-07 09:55 AM EDT (US)         
Everyone knows how irritating the ally Ai are. They make exuses, say they have no army when you can see it in plain sight. They complain, they try to resign early. So, I've made a thread to discuss which Ai is the friendliest to play with.

Personally, I like Cwatemoc. He listens to me, agrees, and doesn't make exuses (usually).
AuthorReplies:
Angel Walker
Skirmisher
(id: Just a player)
posted 12-04-07 10:23 AM EDT (US)     1 / 13       
I think that I've never played any game with the TWC or TAD AIs as allies. Though I remember that, back in my first days, when I played single player, it sucked bad!

They always kept asking me to resign - specially France - even though I was holding the whole enemy team on my own... The only advantage is that they will, at least sometimes, tribute resources when you ask. But that's about it.

But on the subject, Isabella was probably the best. Well, she was as bad as anyone else in gameplay (though Suleiman seems to be the worst somehow). However, she has always been nice with me. Too nice sometimes... there are a few quotes of her that, when taken out of context, can get quite awkward coming from a computer personality.

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
"Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.

[This message has been edited by Cherub Walker (edited 12-04-2007 @ 10:29 AM).]

Yoda
Banned
posted 12-04-07 02:31 PM EDT (US)     2 / 13       
Always sucked, the ai in Age of Empires 3 has. Why the developers have made an emphasis on multiplayer, that is. Really, the major component, multiplayer is, not single player. Yes, hmmm.

[This message has been edited by Yoda (edited 12-04-2007 @ 02:32 PM).]

Myth_dracon
Skirmisher
posted 12-04-07 03:39 PM EDT (US)     3 / 13       
The AI is interesting though. The fact that they talk makes them somehow suck less. I love Cuauhtemoc's multiple resignation messages and wish the other comps had the same variety (all the others simply have 2 messages, really -_-).

But I'd say Akbar/Kangxi/Cuauhtemoc are easy enough to get along with. Akbar and Kangxi are very polite. And Suleiman too, though he's not especially powerful usually.
MosheLevi
Scenario Contest Winner
posted 12-04-07 05:05 PM EDT (US)     4 / 13       
I think that I've never played any game with the TWC or TAD AIs as allies. Though I remember that, back in my first days, when I played single player, it sucked bad!
The AI for TWC and TAD is the same AI as in the Vanilla, so it still sucks pretty bad, lol.

The AI usually wants to resign once it has been raided and it lost some of its villagers and buildings.
At the same time the AI won’t cooperate with rushing/attacking so you really don’t have a partner.
Very often it will also ask for resources.

Still, there is a way to enjoy team games with the AI if you adjust your game play.

Make sure you build some buildings and even walls in your ally's base so you can help to defend it when it is being attacked.
Very often your ally will send his army to attack the enemy and leave his base undefended.
So you really have to adjust your game play so you can defend both bases.

I actually like this kind of game play because it is more challenging.

It’s also important to pay attention to what your ally is doing.
If it sends his army to attack, then it is important to send some of your army to support that attack.
Otherwise his attack may fail and put your ally behind economically.
Unfortunately the AI won’t support your attacks.

The worse thing about the AI is that in mid game it will start sending his villagers undefended to the middle of the map to gather wood.
At this point it is very easy to raid the AI’s villagers and even wipe out half of them.
Still the AI doesn’t learn from that and it will keep sending more villagers to that direction.

At that point the game stop from being challenging since the AI cannot recover from that economically.

I play “Company of Heroes” a lot and I have to say that the AI in this game is impressive.
It will not send its units to be slaughtered like in AOE3.
The AI learns what it should not do, it knows when to retreat, it knows when it should heal its units, and it always finds a way to flank you by finding undefended path.
Very often I see my ally’s units (in COH) heal my own units – now that is great.

Good AI makes a huge difference and I hope to see a better AI in the next Age game.

[This message has been edited by MosheLevi (edited 12-04-2007 @ 05:11 PM).]

CunniJA
Skirmisher
posted 12-04-07 05:58 PM EDT (US)     5 / 13       
Isabella is a really weird AI. Why would a devout Catholic queen like Isabella talk like some kind of ho? Her AI doesn't make sense at all.

A_S: "Cunni's pic wins thread otherwise failing due to being 5-7 years behind the times."
"Brilliant cunni simply brilliant"
C_MAG: "CunniJA's post is epic win."
Nightfire
Skirmisher
posted 12-04-07 07:34 PM EDT (US)     6 / 13       
I've never played single player, so tell me some of these quotes

^^^
Angel Walker
Skirmisher
(id: Just a player)
posted 12-04-07 08:04 PM EDT (US)     7 / 13       
Click!

Now that just ain't right.
The AI usually wants to resign once it has been raided and it lost some of its villagers and buildings.
At the same time the AI won’t cooperate with rushing/attacking so you really don’t have a partner.
Very often it will also ask for resources.
All true. I just kept telling my allies to attack, but they always complained about not having an army (once I remember getting this reply, despite of my ally having the largest army at the time). The biggest act of cooperation I've ever get out of my ally was when Suleiman told me to protect the forward Fort he was going to make. Then he asked me to resign

And I've always had the feeling that my enemies are much better than my allies. It seems that whenever they're set to the same team as a human player their IQ has a major drop.
The AI is interesting though. The fact that they talk makes them somehow suck less.
It's a bonus, I guess. It's always nice to hear Suleiman's meaningless metaphors. Though it can get somewhat annoying when you are testing a strat against the AI and it keeps making comments about facing you again or playing in the same map.

Good times.

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
"Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.

[This message has been edited by Cherub Walker (edited 12-04-2007 @ 08:06 PM).]

As_Saffah
Scenario Reviewer
posted 12-05-07 00:31 AM EDT (US)     8 / 13       
Wow, it's like some team games I've played in, except at least the AI won't wall in your TC as a prank.

Crunkatog on ESO
Bart331 balance suggestion: aztec: remove civ
Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
Crunkatog on Steam.
Tungsten_Knight
Skirmisher
posted 12-05-07 01:01 PM EDT (US)     9 / 13       
Good ol' Maurice of Nassau seems to be pretty friendly, and he's also really good. I hate fighting against him in single-player games as he tends to mass cannons and saloon mercs. Unlike Frederick the Great, Napoleon , or the Japanese guy who are the biggest jerks in the world. In the words of a 2nd grader: "They're big poop faces."
John GrahamLeigh
Skirmisher
posted 12-05-07 02:29 PM EDT (US)     10 / 13       
Isabella is a really weird AI. Why would a devout Catholic queen like Isabella talk like some kind of ho? Her AI doesn't make sense at all.
Her comments are just right for Isabella II of Spain (reigned 1833-1868), who was notorious for her affaires. As you say, they don't fit Isabella I (1474-1504) at all.

My favourite is Henry the Navigator - "It seems we are winning, in spite of your blundering", "Thanks for the coin - I'm off to the tavern now", and "All right! We'll call it a draw!" when he's on the point of defeat.
As_Saffah
Scenario Reviewer
posted 12-05-07 09:46 PM EDT (US)     11 / 13       
Gall's mean. If you resign and then start up another game, and he is your ally, he will say "Don't let me down again." He's also a crappy ally, puts a max of 6 guys on his pit, never upgrades his cav, etc.

Akbar is so bad I want to actually punch my screen when he starts whining through his nose about the "Gods". No, I'd like to find the guy who did his voice-over and punch him too. I thought Hiawatha was bad, Akbar makes Hiawatha seem like John Wayne.

Like why couldn't they get one of the voice actors for the monks or the repentant thuggee/dacoits to come up with a better pitched voice? Akbar's greatest anxiety was trying to hold together an empire that was a loose jigsaw puzzle of about 5989423 different ethnic groups and more than a few religions. He viewed it as both a great blessing to princes, and a unique curse. Why not take that and use it humorously instead of whining?

@Isabella: I doubt any of the AI personalities were meant to even come close to the real personalities of the real monarchs and rulers in history. For instance, Suleiman and Hiawatha spouting all that enigmatic poetic pablum about yogurt and cattails. No evidence whatsoever that these two leaders spoke in riddles, it's just a way of adding a humorous touch and bit of unique (if mildly inaccurate) flavor to each civ. So, Izzy becomes a Latin siren because the role of domineering battle-axe is already taken by Miz Lizzy. And the Latin siren bit is a whole lot more entertaining (and more PC) than a bleeding fanatic calling for the end of the Paynims and the glory of God with every single statement.

Crunkatog on ESO
Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
Crunkatog on Steam.

[This message has been edited by As_Saffah (edited 12-05-2007 @ 09:52 PM).]

Bloodly
Skirmisher
posted 12-08-07 01:08 AM EDT (US)     12 / 13       
On the other hand Akbar's also(looking at the history given) very progressive and peaceful-the scholar type. He's alright from that view.

Though I fight alongside the AI a lot(Single-player here), none have particularly jumped out at me as good or bad. Then again, I don't ask them for anything much. They SOMETIMES help out when I'm being attacked and have nothing at home. It can be annoying to have to not only fight your enemies, but compete with your allies for resources when you start close to each other.
As_Saffah
Scenario Reviewer
posted 12-08-07 10:18 AM EDT (US)     13 / 13       
I hate having napoleon as an ally, because he's such a native allies hog. Newsflash, expert AI do NOT need Klamath work ethic, I do!

Crunkatog on ESO
Crunkatog on Steam.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames