Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.18 replies
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » PC Gamer: 92%
Bottom
Topic Subject:PC Gamer: 92%
The Timid Fool
Skirmisher
posted 12-05-07 03:19 PM EDT (US)         
Well, I just got the January issue of PC Gamer, and was excited to see that they reviewed TAD in it, and boy was I surprised to see that they gave it a 92%!

Also, the TAD demo was the main feature on the demo disc

PS: I was also surprised to see that Empire Earth III got only 63%

("`-''-/*).___..--''"`-._
`6_ 6 ) `-. ( ).`-.__.`)
(_Y_.)' ._ ) `._ `. ``-..-'
_..`--'_..-_/ /--'_.' ,'
(((' (((-((('' ((((
"Black holes are where God divided by zero" -Steve Wright
AuthorReplies:
MosheLevi
Scenario Contest Winner
posted 12-05-07 04:22 PM EDT (US)     1 / 18       
ganggreene51
Skirmisher
posted 12-05-07 04:42 PM EDT (US)     2 / 18       
92% is surprising to me too. I'm not disappointed with Tad but I'm not overly impressed. A solid effort but an "A" I'm not sure of.

Maybe this has something to do with it.
Also, the TAD demo was the main feature on the demo disc

After getting some first hand knowledge on review processes I am a bit skeptical. Advertising dollars can be very influential.

Or maybe the guy really liked it. Its not that far off I think. I would have put it in the high 80s. 86 maybe. There are a few things I think could have been done better. Overall well done.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way.

Foy Lyndstrom- "Villagers doing nothing don't do anything."
schildpad
Skirmisher
posted 12-05-07 04:52 PM EDT (US)     3 / 18       
If gamespot gives a game 35%, they must have forgotten to advertise at gamespot. While ago gamespot probably fired a reviewer because he made a review stating a game sucked, and the publisher of that game advertised on gamespot.

92% is a very nice result, but honestly, i stopped trusting game reviews a very long time ago.

btw moshe, recieved my mail?

"such a kind fellow!" ~ ķįŋğ_Ćħŗĩš_ĬĬ

Furby killer should be crowned leader of AOE forum ~ [SW_GD]Teutonic

RiderOfEternity
Skirmisher
posted 12-05-07 05:10 PM EDT (US)     4 / 18       
PC Gamer give out 90%+ to a lot more games than other game reviewers

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
Yoda
Banned
posted 12-05-07 05:36 PM EDT (US)     5 / 18       
Trust a review from PC Gamer, I would not. Gave EEII a 90%, they did. Still, alot better than Warchiefs, TAD is, and to the series I welcome this addition! Clearly, to make games BHG knows how! Yes, hmmm.
Cancer of the Head
Skirmisher
(id: say1988)
posted 12-05-07 06:30 PM EDT (US)     6 / 18       
If gamespot gives a game 35%, they must have forgotten to advertise at gamespot
WEll, EEIII did seem to be farely well advertised on GS, but GS also seems to not like RTS games, and maybe GS didn't have many good press releases.
Cyclohexane
Skirmisher
posted 12-05-07 10:14 PM EDT (US)     7 / 18       
I would have given it an A if it was not for the randomness factors (critical hit, conversion, stomp, etc.). Because of that, a low B.

Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell out of the way!................CYCLOHEXANE'S FREE GUIDES:

-TAD GUIDE: AOE3 TWC TAD Quick Reference -or view online: On-line
AOE3 TWC TAD UNIT COMPARISON SPREADSHEET: Unit Comparison Spreadsheet

See other guides, technological advancements, interviewing tips, and more at my website All Things Miscellaneous
The Crazy Idiot
Skirmisher
posted 12-05-07 11:25 PM EDT (US)     8 / 18       
I guess the grade is relative. compared to the original Age3, it may be decent. But compared to many stand-alone expansions released recently, it may seem a bit lacking in new features.
NerVe_Viper
Age Sanctuary Admin
(id: FeaR_VipeR)
posted 12-06-07 00:04 AM EDT (US)     9 / 18       
PC Powerplay magazine here in Australia gave TAD 7/10. The reviewer kept harping on about AoE3 being "past it's time" and 2 years old.

If I listened to game reviews, I'd never end up buying any games lol

[This message has been edited by StR_VipeR (edited 12-06-2007 @ 00:05 AM).]

Eicho
Skirmisher
posted 12-06-07 00:15 AM EDT (US)     10 / 18       
I agree with Cyclo, there has to be no 'luck' based things on RTS games.
ganggreene51
Skirmisher
posted 12-06-07 00:39 AM EDT (US)     11 / 18       
Agreed. Critical, stomp, and convert add a cheesiness factor. Also, regicide was not really thought out and felt like a quick throw in to say they did it. I'm probably in the minority but the new maps are not that impressive either, although a welcomed change of pace. I won't even get into disciples
Matthew, Mark, Luke, John......

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way.

Dr House
Skirmisher
(id: RealityFatalityz)
posted 12-06-07 01:14 AM EDT (US)     12 / 18       
Matthew, Mark, and Luke were APOSTLES dipset, john was just some random tagalong who had no life

Derek Vineyard from American History X is a disciple, and i think we can all agree hes not really that good

Game Reviews are worthless, BFME 2 ROTWK got a 9.4, but now nobody plays it anymore so i guess that was accurate...

׺°˜`°º×RealityFatality׺°˜`°º×
"So, what do you guys think? What's theverdict? OP, or do I need to stop smoking crack?"
"I don't have hard drives. I just keep 30 chinese teenagers in my basement and force them to memorize numbers"

[This message has been edited by Kiverly Spears (edited 18-12-2008 @ 9:21 PM).]
Tungsten_Knight
Skirmisher
posted 12-06-07 01:46 AM EDT (US)     13 / 18       
Matthew was a tax collector. And John, believe it or not, was the beloved disciple.
ganggreene51
Skirmisher
posted 12-06-07 01:47 AM EDT (US)     14 / 18       
"In Christianity, the disciples were the students of Jesus during his ministry. Though often restricted to the Twelve Apostles, the gospels refer to varying numbers of disciples."

I think I'm owed an apology or you can just say two our fathers, three hail marys and an act of contrition.

And derek vineyard rocked. Took on that whole nazi organization. However, Tyler Durden would have kicked his ass.

Qazitory
HG Alumnus
posted 12-06-07 03:55 AM EDT (US)     15 / 18       
I agree with Cyclo, there has to be no 'luck' based things on RTS games.
Mines, herds, treasures, natives, map layout... luck is always a factor in AoE. The luck part is actually quite small - they could've just left out the critical hit percentage and improve their attack accordingly.
Not a big deal imo.

•Qazitory•
•AoE3 rating: Qazitory
My AoE3:TWC mods: QazUI - Treasure - Main Menu - Low Lag HC - Deck selection•
•Guide my keystrokes, keep my programs alive, protect me from viruses, back up my drive.•
cheese68
Skirmisher
posted 12-06-07 08:58 AM EDT (US)     16 / 18       
Reviews of most things can't be trusted, it's not just games.
It doesn't matter what it is people will 'back-hand' money to ensure their product sells well.

It's even right down to selling the thing in the shop. Isn't commission on sales just a variant of the advertising money described above. If you're a sales person and product X pays you £30 and product Y pays you £50 then by default Y becomes better than X. It's the same all the way down the line.
Don't trust anyone else's opinion. Trying it for yourself is the only way to know. If you can't tell any difference then who cares.
Sjiniet
Skirmisher
posted 12-06-07 09:45 AM EDT (US)     17 / 18       
92 = to high imo

"You cannnot discover inhabited land , If not i could go and 'discover' England" - Iroquois Chief
The Timid Fool
Skirmisher
posted 12-06-07 05:46 PM EDT (US)     18 / 18       
Lol guys I'm not referring to the review as a reason I should get the game. I bought it when it came out and I agree that 92% is too high, I would rate it 80 - 85%

I was just surprised that they rated it 92%

("`-''-/*).___..--''"`-._
`6_ 6 ) `-. ( ).`-.__.`)
(_Y_.)' ._ ) `._ `. ``-..-'
_..`--'_..-_/ /--'_.' ,'
(((' (((-((('' ((((
"Black holes are where God divided by zero" -Steve Wright
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames